Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Waiting almost over now. I will be thinking of you tomorrow, with fingers and toes crossed for a good positive solution to your problems.
 
Today is the day - finally! In about 7.5 hours I should have some answers and I suppose good or bad it is answers that I need!

Right off to be as busy as I can so I don't over think things.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
In about 7.5 hours

Boy do they take it to the wire - so 3.30pm. Do you have to travel far to the hospital? If you are anything like me you will be there at least 2 hours early. Have you made any special arrangements to get you there in as much comfort as possible. Carol
 
I'll be thinking of you this afternoon. Let us know what happens please. I'm still crossing everything that all goes well
I'm off to the hospital myself soon for my antibiotics
 
Shortie, I hope you get clear answers and direction for the next steps to healing. Prayers got you.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Good luck Shortie! I hope you do get some answers!
 
Thank you all x

I have been and it is not infected - hurrah!

As I have so much pain and reduced movement I am going to have a revision! When he did the arthroscopy he did manage to bend it to 90! He gave me options and said the safest is to live with how it is, this is because there is no definitive reason why there is reduced ROM and such bad pain and he said a revision in this instance will carry a chance it won't be any better and a very small chance it will make it worse, however after discussion I cannot live as I am now with so much pain, it looks like I will not be able to do my job for a very long time if ever which I suppose I can live with but to be given a chance to be more active with my kids I'm taking it.

He did say again that he believes I should never have had the TKR in the first place at the stage I was at and that cases like mine are the most difficult to treat.

Now I just have to wait for a date which will be 2-4 months (good old NHS!) but I have a plan!

I really am quite exhausted from it all. Thank you all for your support x

Shortie x
 
Hi @Shortie I'm so glad there is no infection. At least like you say now, there is a plan in place. It's just horrid when recovery is so slow. I so get what you mean regarding work etc. I am dreading going on Monday with yet another sick note. However, I'm not prepared to compromise my health. I also have to get off pain meds too. If this procedure has worked today I hope that this will go me the opportunity to get off them, drive and return to work x x xx anyway, I'm so glad you got some kind of result and something to aim for. Please take care love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
I am going to have a revision

Hello Shortie, You are one strong lady. `I am going to have a revision'. Just like that! But I do understand it. What I don't understand is the surgeon suggesting you just live with what you've got. All that pain and he thinks living with it is an option.

Well here you go again playing the waiting game. But you know what direction you are going and that was very important to you.


cases like mine are the most difficult to treat.

What was it about your knee that made it so difficult to treat?

My warmest wishes for a good outcome. Carol
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 @Pumpkln and @patient 99

@Nana moon 27 I hope the treatment you had today gives you some relief from the pain.

@patient 99 the surgeon said that my SAFEST option is to just live with it because there is a small chance a revision will make it worse a small chance that it won't make any difference so the revision is a slight risk. He also said that I am a difficult case as he believes that I shouldn't have had a TKR in the first place and with no massive glaring problems e.g. Infection, etc. then it is difficult to treat a painful stiff knee.

He gave me all the facts the ifs and buts and said it was up to me because I am the one who knows how much pain I'm in and how much it is affecting my life.

I will write more tomorrow when I have thought about things.

Shortie x
 
I think you are making the right decision. Good for you to now have a plan! I would do the same if I was in pain! Hope the wait is not too long!
 
Morning Shortie, saw you were on line and just wanted to say I hope you managed to get a decent night's sleep.
 
Morning @patient 99 I would LOVE to say yes but no! I was more mentally relaxed but knee was really painful. I am off to GP this morning to jiggle my drugs! Now I have in my head something is being done I don't mind increasing meds again to keep me going until revision - I was a bit hesitant to keep increasing them when I had no plan as I felt i didn't know where it would end but now I know it is shortish term I don't mind as much as I don't like to take regular meds with no clear plan.

As you can tell I am someone who likes to know what is what I cope so much better when I know stuff!

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie x
 
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind please, when he said you should have had the tkr did he say why? Too early? Too far gone?

BTW, your dog is a cutie!
 
I don't mind at all @msmechanic58 my OS has looked at my pre TKR MRI scan and he says that he feels it was not bad enough at that point for TKR as wasn't bone on bone and he feels that other treatment (eg osteotomy) would have been more appropriate at that stage. My arthritis was diagnosed on arthroscopy and conservative treatment didn't work.

Hope that helps x

Shortie x
 
You would think the knee would have healed better since the bones were in better shape. Go figure! Bodies are fascinating and frustrating aren't they?
 
So today Occ health are going to see if there is any chance of some thing like audits I can do for my department while I wait for revision - I will wait and see what happenes.

GP has said I can increase OxyContin so will see if that helps and if I can start getting some sleep (I'm almost past exhausted!) and function better (in mobility) during the day.

I had to laugh the pre-op assessment question booklet I was given yesterday is obviously expecting patients to be older than me there is questions about do you have to go out to collect your pension - I'm "only" 43! And do you rely on meals on wheels lol I wish! It made me smile so AT&T keast the questions served some purposes! Lol

Shortie x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom