Revision THR Loose Acetabular cup - 10 days post Op

Glad to hear that they are seeing you today. Sending positive thoughts your way.
 
I went in to see the surgeon around 4:00. He said that indeed the acetabular cup was loose and/or at an incorrect angle. He said that he didn't need a CT or MRI, that it was evident on the X-rays and that he wanted to "work me in" in the next two days. Apparently I have been at a higher risk for dislocation so he sent me right away to the hospital (where I am now). I didn't have time to do anything or prepare.

I don't know how I feel about him doing the surgery - I didn't find any information about revision surgeries that were performed days after the first surgery. I asked him he felt comfortable doing it and he said yes (probably useless to even ask). I got the feeling that it was somewhat of an emergency.

What burns me up is that no one listened to me. The day that I was discharged the PA came in and said that they were taking X rays "more for my peace of mind". I told the OS about how I cried and screamed just trying to walk in the hospital on day #2 and about the X-rays before being discharged, and about how painful it was to have the X-rays taken - he said that he was unaware of any of this.

I'm curious to hear what you all think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry you are going through all this. But I'm afraid you don't have much choice. You need a revision and you are in the right place. I would make it plain to the surgeon that you want staff - including that PA - to listen to you.

I would also ask how the bad placement happened. Did the surgeon do this or was a trainee doing the operation? You deserve some straight answers!

Please keep us updated!
 
Well, the news you received wasn't good news, but at least you have an answer for the excessive pain you were having, and a plan for getting it taken care of. I don't blame you for being upset at not being listened to over the past several days. I'm glad you are not still at home suffering and risking something even more serious happening.

As suggested earlier, I think for your own peace of mind, you might want to ask some follow up questions about your first surgery, and also about the specifics of this coming surgery. I was also able to request not only my records from my surgeon's office visits, but also the surgery notes from the surgery center where my replacement was done. I didn't have complications, but wanted copies in the event something came up in the future, and just to know about what took place, and the specifics of my new hip. My doctor's office made it very easy to get them.

I can only imagine how unsettled you must feel to be headed back into surgery without time to mentally prepare and get things organized at home. I hope you have a good support system to help you through the next few days. Heading into the New Year you soon will be on the path to recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@CoastNC so sorry to hear you have to under go a revision so soon. Hopefully you will wake up afterward and feel much better. Hopes prayers and healing vibes heading your way. :console2:
 
Oh my stars...I can only imagine you are having a difficult time with not only the issue with the cup, but the apparent failure to read the additional xrays properly when you were insisting things were not right.
I hate that you are having to deal with getting this fixed...
Hope they are keeping you comfortable.
 
What burns me up is that no one listened to me. The day that I was discharged the PA came in and said that they were taking X rays "more for my peace of mind". I told the OS about how I cried and screamed just trying to walk in the hospital on day #2 and about the X-rays before being discharged, and about how painful it was to have the X-rays taken - he said that he was unaware of any of this.
Very sorry to hear you have to have a revision. Also it's sad to hear that no one would listen to you or take you seriously. It's very frustrating especially when it's your body and your health that is being ignored. Just the way it is sometimes but you really have to push to be heard and you're voice heard. After all you are the customer and you are the one that ultimately has to deal with all of the results.
 
I am so sorry that you need a revision so soon and that no one was listening to you. Thank goodness you kept calling and pushed your issue.

Sending (((hugs))) and positive thoughts for your upcoming revision.
 
Dear @CoastNC My heart goes out to you. So very sorry this happened to you. ❤️ I have been in your shoes and want you to try to trust that you will have the stable hip you had hoped for. Try to put the “not listening“ to you part on the back burner and focus on your health at this moment. You have some of that in your control.
  • Order an orange once a day, Vitamin C is key for healing.
  • chicken broth with each meal or beef.
  • Easy to digest cooked vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans.
  • Make sure you sleep. Ask for something to help if you aren’t.
  • Stay hydrated. 70 oz per day will help with blood volume
  • Believe there are many of us praying for you and will hold your hand through it all.
 
:goodpost:


Oh my gosh @CoastNC I am so sorry to read your update about your upcoming revision! I am still so amazed that they would let you worry about this over the holiday weekend, not knowing for sure.
But what Fit4Family posted above is so correct.. If you can, try to focus on your upcoming surgery and recovery. You have every right to be upset and question what happened, though. It's understandable that you have questions. I am willing to bet that you will get preferential treatment this go around!!
So glad they have you in the hospital, though.
To me, another example that they are going to give you very careful attention this time around!! ((hugs))

I hope you get that wonderful feeling after the surgery of a solid hip with a solid new cup fitted. I am sending you healing energy and my best wishes for a quick resolution to this.

Please keep us posted? We are here for you-- and we care.
 
@CoastNC so sorry that you're having to deal with this, and so soon after your original surgery. @Fit4Family gave you some great things to concentrate on for now, going in to surgery stressed out more than you already are won't be helpful. Try and relax as much as you can and deal with these folks after your surgery and you're out of the hospital. We'll be here sending good vibes, cyber hugs and prayers that they get you fixed once and for all. .:console2:
 
I posted updates twice but I guess I can't just delete a message. Sorry!

You all have been so caring and wonderful! Thank you again and again!

Jessica
 
Last edited:
Sounds like they got it right this time and your end results should be much better. Sleep is a great healer and many struggle to get it after THR so I would sleep every minute your body will let you. Stay ahead of the pain and :ice: :ice: :ice:
 
It is great that you can sleep since your body is exhausted from the stress before your diagnosis and then another big surgery. How wonderful that you can stand on it now and trust it. Take your pain meds and don't forget to ice and elevate. Sweet dreams :sleeep::sleep::flwrysmile:
 
Update: OS performed revision surgery about 28 hours ago. The cup was loose, but he ended up replacing all of the prosthetic pieces. Recovery this time around has been much harder, more severe pain, I've needed a lot more pain meds. Reduced mobility, it hurts a whole lot more to move. BUT even though the leg feels heavy I can put weight on it! So true recovery can happen.

I found out that the therapist at the hospital was responsible for asking the PA to take more X-rays before I was discharged. Thank God for both of the therapists - they are the ones that knew something was wrong and really helped me.

Surgeon has held back some information too. One of the head nurse's read his notes to us and showed us X-rays, and apparently there was a hematoma somewhere in there. I am guessing that is why he replaced everything - because hematomas can lead to infection. Am I right about that?

Anyway, after sleeping nonstop for the last 24 hours I am finally feeling a lot better! Appetite is back, I'm not so dehydrated and I am getting stronger and am able to move better. Recovery!
 
So good to hear that things have been taken care of properly, and you are feeling better. I appreciate your positive attitude after all you have been through.:loveshwr:

As I had mentioned in an earlier post to you, you have the right to request your medical records from the surgeon's office, the hospital, and from the actual surgery. Given what the nurse read to you, it sounds like you might continue to have some nagging questions, and for peace of mind, you might want to have copies of your records.

You certainly were fortunate to have had therapists with good instincts! Do you have any idea what your next steps will be? Staying for a couple days in the hospital, or home soon? I hope things continue to improve for you---and that you continue to be able to sleep, rest, and stay on top of your pain management!
 
Debru4 I was totally wiped out until about 30 hours after surgery. A lot of pain in the joint and tenderness in the hip. Then about 10 hours ago poof - pain all gone. Was able to walk better and my strength returned. This was the experience that I was expecting the first time!

I'm only on Tylenol now, I haven't decided if I want to take the Oxytocin's before PT this morning. I know revisions aren't too common, but maybe the moderators can put "revision" in my profile so that others can find my story and be comforted by it.

Thanks again!
 
Good Morning Jessica @CoastNC So happy to read you have come through on the other side with a stable hip and the recovery you had hoped for. Glad your pain has settled and that you are feeling more hopeful.

Sending healing wishes for an uneventful, normal recovery from here on out. :flwrysmile: Sarah
 
Back
Top Bottom