Revision THR Loose Acetabular cup - 10 days post Op

I'm glad your revision is done, @CoastNC . I hope things go better for you this time.
Please can you confirm that it was done on January 1, 2020? I've put that date in your signature, but I'll change it if I've got it wrong.
 
PT?
There’s a lot of evidence in this forum that PT should wait until after healing is well underway. The no-PT approach did well for my THR.
I haven’t read all the way back through your thread, though, so maybe there’s a reason to start PT quickly.
 
I'm probably too late but if they are going to get you up and doing PT TAKE THE PAIN PILLS. Be very easy with the PT also. The basic caring for yourself walking and up and down stairs is normal, They took us in a group and wanted us to do some PT exercises and they were real jerks about some of it. With my first hip I could do all of it easily, but there were some that struggled and they pushed them. This time I had log leg and could not do some of it, so I faked it and blew them off. It's sad to see grownups brow beat and struggling in pain for no reason.
 
@Celle it was done on Dec. 31 - New Year's Eve!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CoastNC please be careful with doing any PT, you are much too early on. Only thing that might be helpful is showing you how to dress, get in/out care, etc.

Am glad to hear that your pain seems to have gone. Please remember to take things slow, steady, rest , elevate, ice, ice and ice! :ice: :ice: :ice:
 
So glad to hear that it seems they got it right this time. Many times it is the ancillary service people (e.g. therapists) that become your best advocates. I’m glad you had that at least. Agree that you need answers there but it will still be waiting for you to pursue after you take care of you and your healing. Extra TLC is called for after all you’ve been through in so short a time. Sending you peace and healing blessings. Keep us posted. ❤
 
Glad to see you are on the other side again. Remember you have had two major surgeries within a very short time. Recovery is going to require lots of patience and tons of ice. Hope all is well @CoastNC !
 
Just reading your thread and am so glad things are on the right track for you now....Did your surgeon give you any ideas as to why the acetabular cup was loose ?

Wishing you a speedy pain free recovery
 
Then about 10 hours ago poof - pain all gone. Was able to walk better and my strength returned. This was the experience that I was expecting the first time!
I hope you are continuing to have good pain management. I just caught up on your thread. :wow:

I hope you have smooth sailing from now on.
 
Thinking of you this morning. Hoping you are progressing nicely and still have your pain well controlled. Healing vibes headed your way.
 
Coast,

You sound waaaay better! Glad you got that brand new tire replaced! :)

I took no narcotics after leaving the hospital - 1000 mg Tylenol every six hours worked quite well - and, my head was clear - unlike the first hip 20 years ago.

What worked for me:
- Tylenol (my full load was Tylenol, Celebrex, and aspirin)
- ice every couple of hours for 45 minutes at least
- elevate during icing
- walkabout following the ice and elevate sessions
- ice and elevate and walkabout - repeat, repeat, repeat
- no PT
 
Hi everyone and thank you for your responses. Prem1234 no the surgeon actually seemed a little baffled. He asked if I had had a bone scan recently and I did one 4 months ago. It was normal, maybe even on the better side of normal. I am super curious myself what happened.

Today is Day 5 and I feel like it's dramatically different. I went on a very very short walk (a few feet) and it felt good. I am able to balance my weight just a bit more evenly.
I don't need anything more than Tylenol - even after two major surgeries I can't believe I don't need more. The pain seems to be more muscular pain. I am doing some of the PT exercises, but I do them very slowly and carefully and if it hurts too much I don't do it. I am icing a lot and elevating.

My energy and appetite are coming back. It is hard to sleep the entire night on my back, I wake up stiff but no complaints.

All things considered, I can't believe how good I feel! Not like the experience after the first surgery at all.
 
It sounds like you are progressing. Wonderful news that you are only on Tylenol and not in pain - always nice not be fuzzy headed.
 
Hello @CoastNC
How are you doing? Hopefully things are progressing nicely for you.
We haven't heard from you in a couple weeks. Consider leaving an update next time you're on the forum. We're interested in how you're doing.
I hope the rest of the week is good for you! :wave:
 
Hi everyone! I do need to post an update. I suppose things are going well - I am at day 24. I am doing Physical Therapy twice a week and once a day at home. It has been helpful and I have seen progress every couple of days, although he told me today that I would begin to see slower progress - week by week instead of every few days. I have been using a cane for a week. It varies from day to day and even hour to hour how much weight I need to put on it. I'm not going to be without a cane for at least another week or two (I am guessing).

As a result of my denial, I've barely been able to go up one step on my bad leg - for two years before the surgery. So I am very very weak. Mastering stairs is going to be hard.

Getting in and out of the car is much smoother, easier and faster. That helps with being stir crazy. I've had a bit of stress - we closed our business days before my surgery so we have had to get all our equipment out of the building before Jan. 31. My poor husband has done 99.7% of it. I helped a little, although I must say being on my feet for 4 hours straight was not smart and I paid for it the next day!

My biggest problem lately has been impatience. Due to my 2nd revision I had to add 2 weeks onto my recovery - if not an additional 3 weeks. I feel like I've been standing still for a while - even though it is not true.

I've had a lot of swelling in my operated knee - does anyone else have this? If you are able to do this it's amazing - when you are on a bed, get your butt next to a wall and slide both legs up the wall. You get a nice hamstring stretch but most important you drain blood out of your legs - super for swelling.

I don't mind the TED hose at all, but now that all my leg hair has grown out they begin to drive my nuts by 10pm. I can't figure out how to shave yet. I don't have a tub and there is very little room in my shower stall. I've looked at those razor extenders on Amazon but they seem a bit expensive. But I may break down!

I hope everyone is healing and eating nice warm food during the chilly winter months! Thank you all again for your support!

Jessica
 
Oh I just remembered something!! When I was waiting for my 2nd surgery - a couple of Operating Room nurses came by to check on me. One said, "so you are back in because you fell?" And I said "is that in my chart?" I think it was! In any case I am going to request the notes because that is 100% not true.
 
With my last hip I used duct tape to tape a disposable razor to a long stick ( I think it was my dressing tool) but any smooth long stick will do. Cheap and effective since it is not forever. Now there is even Gorilla tape.
 
With my last hip I used duct tape to tape a disposable razor to a long stick ( I think it was my dressing tool) but any smooth long stick will do. Cheap and effective since it is not forever. Now there is even Gorilla tape.
Me too! It worked just fine.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom