Revision THR Lookin' On the Bright Side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please no!!

Well after 5 weeks pain free and happy with my hip....ITS ALL GONE HORRIBLY WRONG.

This time last week walking around as happy as Larry, this week I cant move the leg without pain I cant put my weight on my leg without pain and when I say pain, its a 9 out of 10 with a yelp!!

The pain is in my groin and thigh, I also feel swollen around the top of my leg, when I get up I cant walk I have to hold the walls and then get on my crutch the first few steps are agony but the more I walk around the pain starts to go down to a 3 out of ten!! only to come back after a sit down of only a few mins!!

Tomorrow I go for my 6 week check up, my OC is going to get both barrels I am afraid....its now 16 months, and I now think me agreeing to the op is the worst mistake I have ever made!!!!

The thing is I dont think its the hip? could it be a trapped nerve (its a sharp pain) or infection? or my soft tissues not liking what has been happened?

Its now 3 days since this flare up and its getting worse by the hour....I am in despair and feel like crying TBH
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Oh Loz,

Not good news to read, I'm sorry!!! I've tagged Josephine to offer some advice, thank goodness you have an appointment tomorrow with your OS.

You are in my thoughts and I hope this heals up quickly.

xxooxx

@Josephine:
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Don't dispair, hon.....I think you are going to find this is nothing much other than normal post-op pain. Have you tried icing and elevating for extended periods? Are you doing anything different or did you move in a way that might have pulled something?
 
Re: Oh please no!!

My first thought was that you should go to the ER to get checked out. You do have an appointment with your ortho tomorrow ... I guess up to you whether you feel like you can wait even that long. Something doesn't sound right at all.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dorothy
 
Re: Oh please no!!

My feelings exactly. I'm feeling like you may be partly dislocated and perhaps they could "pop" it back in for you in the ER...

Don't really know if there is such a thing as a partial dislocation :scratch:...
@Josephine: ?
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Thanks all for listening to my moan...

I dont think it would be a dislocation as I have been walking the dog round the block and when up and going the pain does get a bit better?

Just had a bath and my wife seemed to think the leg is swollen and it does feel that way.

Trying to think back and I have been doing until Wednesday two 3 min bursts on the stepper (not fast just a steady walk) I stoped taking the blood thinners last Sunday (I ran out of them and should have been taken off them Thursday anyway) I started them again on Sat as I found some more.

And on thursday (6 weeks post op) I gently tried to get a sock on the normal way, but did not force the issue!

It feels inflamed in the groin and that seem to travel down my thigh and above the knee!!

The pain meds are kicking in now so I will try and get some sleep, I will let you know what the OS says tomorrow.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

let us know what the OS says. Hopefully you just overdid it on the stepper or something like that and its just a flare up of inflamation.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Loz,

Don't know if sharing this will help but I hope it will. First of all everyone has told me that if I dislocated the hip I would not be able to take one step or even stand. I overdid it major about 1.5 months after my 2nd THR and ended up in the hospital (by ambulance) with the most severe pain I had ever experienced...they x-rayed everything and nothing was found so was diagnosed with acute soft tissue and nerve injury. What healed it was rest, pain meds, ice, anti-inflammatory, etc. I'm hoping this may be what you are experiencing. Did you do anything different recently or do more than you normally do? Sending you prayers, peace and calmness.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Loz,

We were posting at the same time, sounds like you may have over done it but be careful with the swelling. Glad you will see someone tomorrow,hang in there.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Exactly, diane.....Loz, I'm glad you have started back on some pain medication. Rest and let things settle. And.....it is probably a bit too soon for those jaunts on the stepper!!! Even when you start feeling better I'd save that for several MONTHS out from your surgery.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Check with your doctor about those blood thinners too. Normally you shouldn't be starting and stopping them like that. Usually at 6 weeks, you're active and you probably don't need them any more.
 
Re: Oh please no!!

I am so sorry. I know someone who had a dislocation and from reading on this site, it does seem that if it were that, there would be no question. It pretty much disables you. I hope you get it sorted out. Funny time of recovery when you feel good enough to do more, but just a little bit too much and the body let's you know. Good luck with your appt. And i hope you get some answers and feel better soon. Cathy
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Oh you poor chap! You must be so despairing. But at least you are seeing your surgeon tomorrow so he will deal with it exponentially, I am sure.

My own thinking is that
a) you could have had a bleed
b) it's acute inflammation brought on by doing too much
c) it is, as you say, a trapped nerve
d) you need more pain killers!

btw, where did you have your two hip surgeries?
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Sorry to hear this. It must be very scary. But there is a answer and knowing is better than not knowing. You just might of pulled something. Don't let your mind get the best of you. You are going to the doctor which is right. Please let us know what you found out. We will be waiting for finding out. Take care and stay safe. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Loz, it sounds like you have been doing a bit too much - and are under medicated. Please do let us know how your appointment goes today. Fingers crossed!
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Sorry to hear of your problems and hope all goes well for you today.

I was wondering about the blood thinners. I was given a 31 day course of Rivaroxaban when I left hospital on 12 March. So I finished the course last Friday. Were you issued with the same drug? Seems like your course is for a much longer period than mine was.

Good luck today

Clive
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Thank you all for you help and ideas.

Last night was a long night, as I could not move my leg without extrem pain.

Even with my leg up and iced, just moving my toes upwards sent the pain shooting up my leg, I have to admit I even shead a few tears! as the thought of going through it all again fills me with dread.

Jo I had the two ops at The Nuffield in Haywards Heath and the surgon was Mr E Parnell...who is meant to be a top OS.

I feel my leg is swollon and when I push into my upper inner thigh it feels bruised even though the pain when moving is in my thigh mostly the thigh does not hurt when I push into it??..

I was put on Warfarin for 6 weeks because after my first op I got a DVT.

What upsets me I was feeling no pain for 5 weeks after the 2nd op for the first time in 5 years!! and then Bam this happens....even writing this upsets me I seem to be living a nightmare.

I will let you all know in a few hours xx
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Right next chapter.

The first thing that sticks in my mind was the look on the OS's face when he saw me clinging to my crutches when I was called in!! "why did you not come in earlier" he said, then I explained to him that if he had seen me a week ago he would have signed me off!!

Anyway had some Xrays taken and thankfully all is in order, no trouble there.

Then had some bloods taken to look for infection, he then had me walking (on my crutches ) up and down the corridor and seemed to think that the more I walked the better I got, which I agree with, its just when I stop in hurts and then when I go to move off after a rest it really hurts, 9 out of 10 hurt with a groan!!

He could see I was quite emotional and calmed me down with "dont panic yet" and a reasuring manner. He also did not think there was any swelling.

So the up shot is..No walking the dog in fact only walk when I have to, a course of anti inflametrys and back to regular pain meds.

I feel a bit of a fraud and drama queen now, but it does really hurt Honest!!
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Thanks for your update Loz. I have been looking all morning. Such good news! Maybe you just did a bit too much. Things will calm down. Back to the basics and then work up again. Ice and elevate as well.

Please do not feel like a fraud or drama queen - of course it hurt and you had major pain. Every one of us would have had the same reaction. That added to the fact that you have just had a revision - not your first THR.

So glad you can rest easy now!
 
Re: Oh please no!!

Well, phew, thank goodness there is nothing seriously wrong, Loz. Sounds like you were under-medicated and also tried to do too much. Don't we all? Been there done that, as everyone else said to me when I tried to do too much too soon. Did you also mention Jo's other possibilities to your OS, and did he dismiss them?

Hopefully the pain meds and rest will help (AND ice AND elevation). And please don't think you were a fraud/drama queen. REAL pain REALLY hurts. Just take it as a warning that you really really must rest. Hope there's someone else who can walk the dog for you?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom