Lounge Doctor

PKR Long Story of my Battle with a Bad Knee

Gingerbread

Country
United States United States
Glad to hear you did ok with your "tuck and roll" maneuver! I often wonder how I'll adapt when the time comes I do stumble... Praying those opportunities are rare!
Sorry to hear about the boat. Next year I have a feeling you'll be on it twice as much as normal season! I was able to make it out to our cabin yesterday just so my husband could mow the lawn there... Oh how I've missed nature. I commiserate with not being able to enjoy what we've worked so hard for... I just keep thinking... Next year!

OP
OP
beesknee

beesknee

Country
Yes I look forward to actually living life again. At the rate I am getting better it will be many months if ever that I have a fully working pain free knee again.

I think as we get better and less careful a trip and fall becomes more likely. All it takes forgetting about the knee for a split second while you attempt to do something that was formally second nature.

Just remember to tuck and roll and protect the knee at all costs!

OP
OP
beesknee

beesknee

Country
I have tested kneeling lightly on my knee and it really feels weird. Probably all the numbness and hardware.

The guy at the marina with the bilateral knee replacement said the one thing he can't do is kneel because if feels like pins and needles.

I am wondering if I will ever be able to kneel on my PKR? So many little tasks require one to get on their knees.

OP
OP
beesknee

beesknee

Country
I found the 2 week xray of my PKR. Comparing it to other xrays I see it online seem the space between the top part and the replace meniscus is very small. Maybe just the angle. I did not take photos of the other x-rays.

The PT at the time showed no concern, not sure if the doctor ever reviewed. Will see actual doctor again on the 29th.

It is amazing to me that that small fix as taken over my life.

Will be 11 full weeks this Thursday. Over the past week I had some pretty good days. I have not reached for the cane in about a week. I now do my PT at home and adjust the amount of stretching and exercise to how I feel, sets and number of reps and sets are not set in stone..

Since I don't push that hard on the bends my knee does not 'kneed' ice afterward everytime. I try to do multiple mini PT stretch sessions through the day to keep the knee loose. I normally ice an hour in the afternoon and at night before bed. 2 days ago I did not need to elevate and ice right before bed which is a first. Baby steps?

I also have been able to sleep on my left side a few times if I can get my knee in just the right position. No luck on my right side for some reason. It seems pressure on sides of knee makes it ache after a short period of time.

I am still very stiff, barely at 120 after some warm up stretching. I would love to see a jump to 125 ROM and less swelling. I would then focus more on building back strength and not worry so much about the peg leg syndrome.

I can go up stairs with some slight pain. I try to limit how many times I use my leg to lift me up the stairs because too many steps seem to aggravate the knee. But I feel I need to do some steps to build some strength.

My knee bends just enough to go down stairs but there is not enough strength in knee yet to do so without hanging on to both arm rails. By the end of the day I normally do the good leg step up and down the stairs like I did week one.

Same question as above: Will I ever be able to kneel on my knee for a short period without it feeling really strange?

Also, does the patch of numbness on the knee ever get feeling back? When my knee was scoped it had some numbness for about a year then went away, but this numbness is at a whole new level.

Attachments

Jockette

Country
In spite of the slowness of this recovery, you really are coming along very well and are very sensible about your rehab.

I don’t even try to kneel, I’m sure I can’t do it, but some others eventually can. As always, we are all different.

The numbness does pretty much go away over time. I’m 4+ years out and there’s only a hint of numbness. I don’t remember when it got to this point.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Most of the numbness went away for me. It just very gradually reduced over time.

Ginger1210

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi beesknee I am coming up to 5 months post op I had the same operation as you I am healing but slowly it’s tough being patient I see my physio every two weeks and she thinks I am doing great. The pain and stiffness I still get is down to my leg instability causing stress on my knee ligaments she explained. More quad strengthening exercises and less walking. I went back to work after 6 weeks which I believe now has slowed my recovery.

OP
OP
beesknee

beesknee

Country
Hi beesknee I am coming up to 5 months post op I had the same operation as you I am healing but slowly it’s tough being patient I see my physio every two weeks and she thinks I am doing great. The pain and stiffness I still get is down to my leg instability causing stress on my knee ligaments she explained. More quad strengthening exercises and less walking. I went back to work after 6 weeks which I believe now has slowed my recovery.
I do 3 different quad exercises through the day and a hamstring exercise. All isometric exercises. I am so tired of icing and stretching everyday with so little progress. I am used to working through injuries in a few weeks and seeing daily progress.

Did you have an idea pre-surgery that recovery for a partial knee would take so long? I assumed I would be practically normal at 3 months. I can confidently say in another week I will not be much better than today. It seems each week my knee is about 3% better. At this rate I am looking at another 6 months before I feel somewhat normal again. I hope I don't need an MUA, I don't want to go back to laying in bed most of the day icing on pain pills.

Driving with right leg is still limited. I think 30 minutes each way is my limit. I am 6'4" so my gas/break leg has a 90 degree bend and starts to ache after a short while. I wish I could move seat back another 6 inches and it would be much better.

One nice thing is I don't have to rely my wife for every little thing anymore. I can make dinner, bring the garbage cans up and down, clean up the kitchen etc.. However, cutting the grass and blowing the leaves this fall will be impossible. We have a large wooded lot and get about 2 feet of leaves so I normally spend 8 hours a weekend blowing leaves with my industrial leaf blowers in the fall to keep up. Not going to happen this year.

Ginger1210

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi beesknee I had no idea it would take so long for recovery. I to thought at 3 months I would be back to 100 percent. But sadly that’s not the case. This forum has been a godsend. I know now it’s a long haul to recovery. When you think about it , it does make sense I have seen footage of a knee replacement and boy that’s some trauma.

Rick951

Country
@beesknee I had my 2nd PKR done July 1st 2020 So I am 1 year ahead of you. As for kneeling I have done it, not painful, just does not feel right. I think you can desensitize yourself over time. Knee pads also help. Recovery does take time, but I would NOT want my old knees back!!!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Caidly
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom