Bilateral TKR Little improvements = Big gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here I am, up early with the birds after another night of 2 hourly sleeping rounds. Thought I'd got to 5 hours, well it did happen once :scratch:
Ripper thunder storms last night didnt help.

At 4+ weeks tracking along. Used the goniometer app yesterday, left 108/right 89--if i measured correctly. Knew left was happy and over the 90.
Right knee still very cranky, painful and just doesn't want to play.

Love peddling mini cycle and like the feeling of joints after doing my few minutes.
Find i am still not able to stand very long, but sitting is becoming easier.

Found that stomach will tolerate 2x targin (slow release).. .I am then taking 1 endone at 11am, 4pm and 9pm. If I increase stomach becomes a war zone very quickly.

Yesterday was able to sit up and down off bed with no hands- though I did have to swing arms to give me momentum --yes more progress.

Still concentrating on walking correctly and I am finding my balance is off. Wandered if this happens more with Bilaterals?

Hubby says that apart from dark rings under eyes--- I am looking much better. All in all progress is good and love the glimpses of the brighter future that keep teasing me.

Happy healing
Diane
 
Still concentrating on walking correctly and I am finding my balance is off. Wandered if this happens more with Bilaterals?
I had to relearn some things after my BTKR---my gait and my balance was off for a while, as my strength was not quite there yet.
All in all progress is good and love the glimpses of the brighter future that keep teasing me.
Yes---patience is a must, as we are "teased" with what great things are to come!
 
Diane you doing great...I spent so many years with a bowed out right leg I developed a rolling side to side limp..I had to concentrate and take measured steps to practice walking correctly because,I believe, the limp had become ingrained ...at 12 weeks now and you would never know as normal person gait has returned...the only way I was able to sleep for the first 8 weeks was with a pillow between my knees as a side sleeper it worked perfectly...getting off the bed or out of a chair with no hands takes some practice but it will come.....I had to play with the Goniometer but think the app is pretty accurate ....keep it up Diane and you will soon see your right leg catching up......you will be absolutely thrilled in a few weeks with what you can do with your new knees......

Vinny
 
Whooot whoot love storms wife goes nuts as I go out im them. Eons ago when I had hair I was on the roof im a magga storm sorting a gutter as was causing water to come im. Suddenly building shook. Next day saw lightning conductor was mangled it had been hit by a thunder bolt.
You are doing well lass and sleeo improves we all loose the Adams Family look eventually well cept for me

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good job im not there then.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Diane....home and sitting in my own bed...heaven
I can't believe how much it takes out of you. Trip to the pharmacy and supermarket walked about 750m in all...knees spoke loudly to me..."not happy Jan". Just got them back under control about an hour ago.
I'm early to bed early to rise so have moved Targin to 7.30 am & pm.... I hope the extra bit of time in the evening will stave off the heartburn. I'm on 40 mg at night and 20 mg in the morning....End one for break thru pain... have taken 5mg late pm for last 3days. Also take paracetamol 6hourly and magnesium morning and night for cramps and aspirin in the morning....I sound like a walking pill cabinet!
Like you I sleep in time bites...mine are about 3hours long. See how that goes in my own bed. On that note...nighty night sleep well Maggie x
 
@Jamie not sure how to post in bugs, but formatting on both my phone and tablet also went strange. This morning while on my phone went into short cut to my phone menu and found a box to tick for "Desk top view" and this has put pages back to normal. Thought it may help if you can get word out? Many thanks. Love the site and all tbe support.
Diane
 
Hi @Legin I sort of agree about you not being there for the cyclones due to your track record with storms :heehee:
Good news although damage done no loss of life and it could have been much worse.

@Maggie94 glad you are home, hope you slept better. Don't over do it next few days as you adjust. I know what you mean about all meds. I am still on 4 panadol/day, Targin 7am /7pm 20mg, then endone for break through. Depending on activity I take between 3-4 a day. Tried cutting down but became so sore it was counter productive. It will all happen, just patience.

@Fancypants oh yes WA gets very hot. My family lives in Perth and although I miss them I prefer Sydney weather (not so much the humidity though)

At 5+ weeks , although it seems like snails pace, knees are doing ok. Get most enjoyment from hydro pool. Still doing my own home physio. Finding sitting easier now, hubby wanted to take me out for dinner-just not quite there yet, and I badly need to cover those pesky grey hair roots (will attempt to get rid of those today!):yikes:
When I did measurements yesterday left 109/ right 95. Right trying very hard to catch up to role model knee!!!
A new day of healing coming on
Diane
 
You are doing great Diane...every day will get a little better...how are you doing on stairs?

Vinny
 
Hi @vinny Had to do the girly thing today and dye those grey hairs. Meant I was on my feet and stood more today. Hmmm swollen knees and icing this afternoon . But at least I look more human!
I only have one step at home, so for part of my exercises I step up and step back with both legs. There is no hand rail so I use the door frame. Not ideal. But it is getting easier.
The hydropool has 7 stairs with rail, going up is easier and I only use rails for some balance support and do one over other like a grown up. Going down more difficukt especially with tricky right knee, but I still see improvements. Can only get to pool a couple of times a week because of hubby's roster.
Hope you're going from strength to strength. Have a brillaint weekend.
Diane
 
Doing well and I so know how those things re appearance count well not personally I need nought but paper bag. However having 2 daughters 20 and 19 and wifffff the need is recognised.mi callmit time to do those jobs that need doing ie get out of way.
Tut my track record re storms was om front page of scottish national paper in a storm years ago. But that is another story. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Sudibar I understand on the girly thing @Legin and I have to spend time on the hair growing out of our ears but it does feel good to do something for the first time post op like that first shower or taking care our your two grey hairs...I still find standing in one spot for too long irritating and find myself moving side to side or lifting my feet......have you tried the Goniometer since last Saturday? do it after you have stretched a little and when your left gets around 100 stairs will be much easier...trying moist heat before golf this morning to see how that goes....Have a great weekend Diane..

Vinny
 
And speaking of Queensland I saw the video of Mark Cave using Auslan he is amazing......
 
@Legin I must admit I waited till hubby went off to work, legs look frightful as it is. The last thing I needed him to see was me walking around in hair dye:heehee:
How are you going? Weekend is here please enjoy. Weather glorious here this morning all the birds making a wonderful racket, and a flock of noisy white cockatoos are just winging by. Some cloud on horizon so will make most of sunshine and go sit on back patio. Well at least for 1/2 hour I can manage.
@vinny Thanks for heads up on moist heat. Last 2 days also getting terrible cramping, especially when walking down right calf. The heat may help that. Will also increase magnesium for a few days.
Will measure again today to see progress from last time.
Hope you had a great game of golf?

I agree Mark Cave did a magnificent job of signing. I believe that the cyclone warnings of him have gone viral!
Enjoy your weekend. What am I doing right now? :ice: You got it
Diane
 
@Sudibar Diane I did see the viral video of Mark Cave...a star is born!...golf was great today and doing it again tomorrow.......got the moist heat going now.....and enjoy your ice ..:ice:

Vinny​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me hv seem it all and usually cleaned up after
We just got 4000 geese nought exotic have a good one.
 
Yesterday I spent all day resting and icing, swelling was happening due to ODIC day before. Feeling good had decided to do some laundry and throw it in the dryer. Washing machine decided not to cooperate and what should have been easy and taken a couple of hours took 5, and I had to rewash 2 loads (after I kicked the washing machine back into submission.) I was determined I was not going to let it beat me and I was going to finish what I had started.
Mission accomplished, ----- over all winner-the knees who had the last say!!!:loll::eeeuw:

After my compulsory rest day, knees felt good this morning, so I took them for a drive. With hubby as my guide and mentor, I drove us to the pool. Glad its country roads with not much traffic or stops. I did fine though asked DH to drive home. My cranky right knee did all and more that was asked of it, quite comfortably. Knee touchy after pool session, and I wont drive far or without my champion with me for a while, but the sense of turning a big corner is huge.

Soon to bed for me, feeling exhausted now and still chasing those elusive zzzzzzzzzzzz's
Good healing thoughts everyone

Night
Diane
 
Well done you, poor washing machine

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom