Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Little improvements = Big gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Diane....you really are doing great......my physio put me on that little mini cycle thing last week and I really liked it..going to get one...I had the pain right below the knee in front and was told it was most likely still a bone bruise..many OS do remove the ACL dont know if that could be related to it...still a lot of healing going on and even at 4 plus months I can still feel a few tender spots around the bones..as for arms some of that is no doubt habit and some just building up the quads a little more and you also put more pressure on the calf muscles...I just kept trying to get up slowly without pushing with my arms and it gradually got better...every week little improvements...Bilaterals are amazing and pretty soon you will forget you have them......

Vinny
 
hi @Sudibar Howdy Diane - how are you going? Haven't seen any posts from you - hope all is OK and you are just enjoying life too much to post. Update please.... your nagging buddy, Maggie x
 
Hi @Maggie94 Glad your progressing really well. Keep up the good work. I have been checking in just not posting as I seem to be in a little slump since seeing OS. He said I was doing everything right. The only thing I have altered to my regime is heel up on small table to stretch out back of right knee. That seems to be ok.

Couldn't be happier with my left knee. And as I told someone at hydro today, ask me how I am in a couple of months and I'll be running marathons (poetic license!). After being in a nice hot shower I measure 126° left knee.

Still having a lot of pain with right knee. Best I can get is 111° and that is the limit presently. OS is concerned on the difference between the 2, pain front of knee when standing and walking, and it is painful to rest it flat on the bed, especially behind knee.

Apart from a few stretches and steps around house I took time off, for last 2 days. Lots of icing and elevating, was hopeful yesterday it had much improved. Today got up to do my normal morning walk and only got to the end of driveway before I was in agony with right knee. So rough day and had to take endone this afternoon. I was so excited yesterday thought I had turned the corner.

So in bed, machine pumping away, legs elevated. Ready for sleep. I do seem to manage 3 hourly rounds, sometimes 4 hourly which I am grateful for.

Thanks for checking in. Sleep well. A much better brighter day tomorrow
 
Hmmmmm i hope it sorts itself with resting etc. But if persists perhaps you shld get it checked. see i can do serious
 
@Sudibar hi Diane. I hear you about the difference in each knee. My left, Laverne, started as the cranky one but she is now so settled... Shirley on the otherhand has become the painful one. Sore and swollen behind the knee...I iced it yesterday and that helped.

I went off Targin at night 3days ago....did not sleep well so decided last night that pain relief was critical to sleep so went back to it. Only 10mg but this just gives enough relief.

Here's hoping our right knees settle down soon, Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 Good morning. Hope that leg eases, yes wise move with meds. I saw GP on Tues and he reiterated that to keep moving when in pain you need the meds. Will get off them when ready.

That swelling and pain behind knee, I have found if I use a heat pack under and in front of the thigh, it helps. Strange I know. :what: Not much sleep last night, but this morning feeling much better. Before I bolt out of door I have heat packs on to warm up. Thought it may help. Then off to do my walk. Grateful for Bonesmart to know we are never alone, everyone is on their own journey to recovery and all different.
Have a brilliant day
Diane
 
@Legin always happy to have you visit. Managed walk and hydro today, doing some laundry and a little light cleaning up tomorrow, then rest with feet up and watch a DVD. Forecast not great so perfect to curl up with warm blanket.:sleep:
 
Sounds like you have it sussed lass, been a tad busy as well spring is poking its head up so in garden tidying up after winters storms. Only one oopsie, ladder, hedge trimmers, numb foot, numpty hmmmmmmmmm enjoy movie is it an oldie

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin giving you back some of your own medicine " Steady does it". Please take it easy. I love old films, but tomorrow watching season 3 of The Good Wife. I never get to see the TV much with all the travel and long hours I work. Son gave me 5 season boxed set. Season 6 is just starting here on TV, but I wont watch as I need to be up to date first Hmmm is that a woman thing. I like things in place and in order. Hubby calls it something else :heehee:
 
Nooooo im same its like reading last book in a trilogy. I watch progs I like on an app/site it has oooooooodles of series. Oh and yup have stopped singing im a luberjack. Happy watching toodles

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Diane glad to see you are doing well.....love Goodwife and season 3 was really good....we hardly ever watch regular TV and more and like binge watching on Apple TV currently going thru season 6 of Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren.. And @Legin you have stopped singing I'm a lumberjack so I take it you are longer wearing suspendies and a bra?:heehee:

Vinny
 
Hi @Sudibar

I've had a read of your posts. You are having a bit of a time of things aren't you? I don't think the aggressive PT helped things either. I hope you don't have to have MUA but if your surgeons been thorough in his tests he will know what's what. I never wanted revision but I'm so glad I did. Bit by bit I'm getting control of my life again. Once the left is done there will be no stopping me then.

@vinnie your post made me laugh x loved that sketch and the dead parrot! Glad you're doing well too!

Please take care

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Remember that you have the right to tell your surgeon that you'd like to continue to work on your ROM yourself. You are just a bit over 2 months out which is very, very early in the recovery process for a BTKR. When you have both knees done, they are never in the same recovery mode! One is always ahead of the other, so please don't stress over this. The fact that you have over 100 degrees of ROM in your "worst" knee tells me you're doing just fine. Usually surgeons do not recommend an MUA once you are past 100 degrees, so I'm a bit confused as to why your doctor feels the need to do this so early in recovery. There would be plenty of time later if it's really needed. There is no "window of opportunity" for gaining ROM and it can come up to a year or more after surgery.

Be sure you are not doing too much. Even a "little" housework plus CPM time plus walks plus exercises can equal a significant amount of activity for a new and tender knee. Remember that it is swelling holding you back even if you cannot readily see it. Your knee compartment is so small that it doesn't take much to give you pain and restrict movement.

Do pat yourself on the back, though. You are doing just fine!!!
 
HI Diane - how are you going today? I liked @Jamie 's comments above about the length of time to recover from bilaterals....it is so true!!

I'm really feeling it today in the lack of stamina department - 1 hour each of physio & hydro this morning and 2.5 hours out with a friend in a car then sitting for an hour and I am home now ready to crash. One thing I have discovered in the last few days is compression pants (cheapies from Aldi) and my TEDS sox - boy oh boy do they make a difference to tired legs. If you have some try them- i even wore the sox (knee hi) to bed last night. I'm guessing that that the compression lessons the cramping in the calf somehow...whatever I had less pain than usual last night. I have bought some compression leg sleeves from ebay and will see how they go.

Thanks for the reminder re heat behind the knees - I was doing that when I first got home but then forgot about it. But its not back front of mind.

Hope you did not overdo it with your list of activities the other day - keep looking after you - Maggie x
 
So sometimes I'd like to know who turned out the lights at the end of the tunnel ????
Here I am at close to 11 weeks, , and last couple of weeks struggling. My left knee is fantastic, sure still get some stiffness and swelling, some aches and pains but minimal, a real trooper.
I have had issues with right knee since rehab, feels different, doesn't seem to line up correctly, pain and no further progress with ROM.
After warm shower and water running over knees I can easily get left knee to 129-131º sitting down then moving forward on chair with very little discomfort. Still some foreward buckling usually first thing in morning, I think is still to do with quad strength.
A couple of weeks back right knee that was troublesome with pain front of knee when walking and lagging way behind with ROM, became excruiating pain on weight bearing both front of knee and down the shin.
I have been doing the suck and see what it can tolerate and the definite no nos. Gentle hydro but careful, didn't think I could get out of pool other day, 5 mins on mini bike (as not weight bearing) and gentle stretching is about the limit. I had been managing my morning walk, and hydro mini bike for ages but too painful since then. When measuring ROM at 90º I am getting significant ouch, by 106º no further.
My next appointment is next Wed with OS.
I need to get back to work, not sure how. Still requiring slow release Targin 20mg at night, with 1 endone and 2 Panadol Oesteo. Have been so bad at night sometimes needing 2 endone to get pain under control to get off to sleep. During day managing with Panadol Oesteo.
Probably just a little glitch on the long road to recovery, feeling drained and having a little pity party. But will sure be glad to turn a corner and see the lights again at end of tunnel.
Ok enough of that, just having a little vent!
@Maggie94 took your advise and lazed around yesterday, apart from throwing in some washing. Keep that great recovery happening.
@vinny enjoy your golfing I believe the walking has been wonderful for you
@Legin take care and thank you for your wonderful sense of humour.
Now to get out of bed and drive 20 minutes each way to chemist as I need a script filled for today. - Maybe a peddle on mini and a few stretches later on.
Keep healing everyone
Diane
 
Hi Diane...sorry that you have an attack of the blues. It is probably born of pain and frustration.
I was intetested to see your night time meds. I'm on 15 targin (going to cut to 10 tonight) with 2 panadol x2 last night at 9.30. &12.30. Getting night time pain under control is hard. I have been in denial re meds but i was so exhausted yesterday that I decided sleep at any cost. This regime of meds worked for me last night.
Obviously you will discuss this with yout OS but it may be you need more for a while to get back on an even keel.
Have you called the OS about excruciating pain in right knee...may be worth a try...a chat w him or perhaps earlier appointment.
Try to keep positive, Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Oh dear I forgot to change batteries im torch, its totally ok to be fed up and wonder will I ever get there. Its always good to see improvement and you have the stark reminder of the two knees one in a Ferrari and the other feels like a cranky old rickshaw. Yes see OS get some answers the niggling questions left unanswered bring us down. So have a darn good yell if it helps. See I can be serious dagnabit thats my one serious card for rest of decade.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well said @Legin. Had a chuckle....you are good with words

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Diane we are always here. You said it started a couple of weeks back was there anything that happened to cause it do you think ? is it constant even without weight on it? I would not wait until next week to see your doctor if it is constant pain......all knees are different in the healing process but just to ease your mind I would see the OS sooner if you can.

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom