Bilateral TKR Little improvements = Big gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone in Bonesmartieland. Sorry not been on for a while, trying to make sense of eveything and chase those blues away. Short note as it is getting late here and I need to try for some sleep as up at 4am. Saw OS Tuesday, not happy with pain and rom/extension on right knee. It also impacts on walking incorrectly too.

Result - In hospital tomorrow for MUA. Will be in overnight so they can have me on CPM. More frightened I think than before BTKR. Looking at this as a way of getting unstuck, so I can move forward and get on with life.
On to a brighter tomorrow
Diane
 
Hiya lass. Really sorry to hear that but best to get it sorted than continue like that. Got everything crossed for you. Big hug

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Sorry to hear that Diane...you probably know that @TexasTee and @Spencieca have had successful MUA's last week and this week with marked improvement and you will too...please let us know how it goes....

Vinny
 
Good luck, Diane! I hope all goes well with your "unsticking"! Keep us up to date on your progress.
 
Good luck with the MUA - I was also more nervous about it than the original surgery! But it was fine, I promise - nothing like the first one and recovery was easier than I had assumed. ROM has improved significantly! Good luck!
 
Diane I feel for you. Yes it is unsettling but as you say it is a means to an end. ...getting unstuck and moving forward. We are here and we are all behind you. Stay strong. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Diane...I know just how you feel...I had an MUA on Monday and was feeling more anxious about that procedure than I was about the TKR...It was a not bad at all...I didn't have to stay overnight, I was sent home with the CPM machine...I have PT every day for this week..I have never gotten past 80 (and that was a REALLY forced reading) and yesterday I was at 90 without tears...My knee actually felt better after the MUA..the pain I have now is just a sore muscle feeling, mostly in the thigh area, not that super tight feeling in my knee where it felt if I tried to bend any further my knee would rip open! Hang in there and just do as they say...keep us updated..we are here for you!
 
Hi all
Just about go to sleep so very quick update, I will then give bigger picture tomorrow as I need to ice and elevate lots next couple of days. I will get some replys done then, I am grateful for all the support that has come through and feeling that I am not facing this alone. I am usually upbeat and didn't want to post too much till I could get a handle on this.
Got home from hospital just a little while ago. MUA, went well and OS commented on just how much scar tissue he broke through. Said there was no way otherwise that I could have got more ROM. For the last couple of weeks I couldn't get to 90º with out a lot of pain, I had cut back on walking and was mainly doing some gentle knee bends, some stretches and an occasional few minutes on minicycle, even not much hydro because of having to drive.

For me it was also the excruciating pain at front of that right knee when walking, etc. I was also getting a lot of deep shin ache and even when I took 2 x endone at night, which I resorted to a couple of times, I was still in pain.

Now taking it easy for a few days before starting some gentle stretches, mini cycle, hydro and walking - but slowly , gentle and not all at once. I am sore and quiet swollen, but pain seems to be more muscular behind knees and legs more than anything else. I have just let the legs hang down a couple of times today and the great news is that both hang down evenly at that 90º , the right not sticking forward any more. Better yet, although do have pain, I do not have the terrible pain at the front of the knee, and hubby says my gait is much better!

Have taken some endone tonight and probably will for next few days, but thats OK it won't be for long - I feel like I have forward motion again.

So happy weekend everyone, lets keep healing, hopefully I will get more sleep than in hospital. They didn't have a spare CPM , but it didn't worry me too much, Easy does it for me.
Diane
 
So great to hear from you Diane and even better is the news of your successful MUA. From what you write things are on the up and up knee wise. Looking forward to more posts, Maggie x
 
Definitely take the meds and get some sleep - we may not have done much but out body certainly did!! All the best
 
Glad to hear your MUA
a went well, now onwards and upwards


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Take it easy lass or I will have to issue the look.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
happy that the MUA worked for you! It did wonders for me...The pain I have now is different from the pain before the MUA...like you said, it is more of a muscle pain now...I thought I would be in a lot more pain but I think I lucked out on that because I haven't experienced real bad pain yet..could also be because I am on meds now every 4-5 hours. Did PT 4 days in a row last week and worked on ROM at home this weekend...Got to 93 once last week! Will wait to see how Monday PT goes...just make sure you stay on your meds and make sure you do some type of movement on the knee so the scar tissue doesn't have time to re attach itself! Have a great weekend!
 
Hi Diane - how are you today... I hope the MUA knee is settling...
I've sent you a personal message - cheers Maggie
 
Hope you are doing sleep/heal thingy

Legin THR Sep 14
 
How are you traveling post MUA? I hope the swelling is going down and you are getting better flex... are you walking again ? Let us know how you are...cheers Maggie x
 
Well here I am day 2 of doing very little at home after MUA. I did look at mini cycle when I got up this morning but decided maybe this arvo rock back and forward. So in bed - legs up and ice on, with heat packs on my back and tummy and quilt. Knees are still very swollen and I don't want to irritate them any more. I am having a little walk, (watching I do it as correctly as possible), every hour or so, stretching legs straight, some gentle knee bends, and hanging legs off bed at 90º. I am using 2 x crutches again for the walking, maybe back to cane tomorrow, see how I go.
Have been tempted a couple of times to see how far I can bend those knees by coming forward on chair, but have resisted. Not having that terrible pain in front of knee is fantastic and I never want to go back to that again. I was put on slow release 20mg 2 x a day, this morning dropped it down to 10mg, see how it I go, do have some endone for break through and will use it if needed.

Still painful but getting easier, can straighten right leg much better and will keep working on that, very pleased with both knees hanging down nicely at 90º with only some minimal additional pain. Nothing like before with that right knee.

Hi @Legin Thanks for checking in, I am doing that resting and healing, as for sleeping hmmmmm, sort of. Will post on your thread
Hi @Maggie94 Will check your thread, hope you are still progressing well, great sunshine on south coast today which is nice to see through my window.
Hi @Spencieca glad your MUA is successful, step by step we all have to do our journeys, and these little detours we take are sometimes unavoidable. I am just so glad I went down this path, I now realise no matter what I tried to do, I had some major adhesions that I couldn't have found a way through, not my fault, just my body trying to repair itself to the wrong areas. Keep going step by step and back off when you need to, always listen to your body.

I don't get alerts coming through, don't know why seems to be set correctly!

Hi @TexasTee hope you're having a great time with your yoga and getting fantastic results. Work want me to do work 1 day next Tuesday, not sure if I will be ready yet, but an easy start back. The only thing is I will have 2 x 3 hour drive to airport, 2 x 1 hour flights and 2 x 1 hour drives to get to meeting. Good thing is that it being a meeting get to sit down, and no training so no heavy suitcases to lift about.
Hi @vinny and @BananasKneesThank you for staying in touch. Progress is good and unstuck is even better. If I can drive again by Wed/Thur I will try for pool and some hydro
Sorry if I have missed anyone, and thank you to Bonesmart and the support that is there no matter where we are at on our journeys
Diane
 
Nice post Diane. I like the idea of little walks...often. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Glad everything went well Diane and nice to see an alert for your message.....have not been receiving alerts and some thing come in 4 or 5 days late.....I know you are aware of overdoing PT and would guess you have some swelling from the MUA....now the real healing begins .

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom