Bilateral TKR Little improvements = Big gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home sweet home & shower sweet shower! :)
 
@kneeper & @Legin I loved not feeling under pressure to be dressed and ready for hyrotherapy or physio. Felt so decadent!!! I am standing in shower now, but as washing hair, sat relaxed and enjoyed.
Sent hubby out on a mission yesterday to find me a mini skateboard - mission accomplished for $10 from Kmart!
Will start doing a few slides on that today. (He wanted to know if I was taking up a new sport-hehehe)
Cant complain about sleep, although doing it in 2 -4 hour stints I am going back off to sleep easily after some movement and adjusting of leg positions.
Love my Polar Cube, though wish I had got 2 x extra large knee pads, instead of just the large, as swelling on right knee still not good.
Still not able to straight leg lift either, though I was able to get a little raise on right before messed up in physio rehab, just figure rest and patience right now.
Happy with meds yesterday, on 2 x slow release Targin, Panadol x 2 6 hourly, 1 endone in am and 2 x endone to settle last night. See GP tomorrow to see how we go from here, may try cutting out am endone today?
GP is a 40 minute ride each way so cant say I am enthusiastic about that :badspidy:
A little drizzly here on the South Coast of NSW today
Happy healing bonesmarties
Diane
 
Visit today to see GP (Big Tick). He is happy, I was just sore after bad night and 40 min car ride.
Busy icing now. Long trip- love living in country, however, bumpy, winding, narrow roads I can do without. Dr happy with scars at 18 days out. Have decided on mainly doing my own physio, and try for a couple times a week to pool-due to distance and availability. See how I go.
Got scripts filled, all sorted at home as hubby back at work tomorrow.
Love the chemist who told my hubby I should be exercising more rather than taking meds. Where do these people get the right!!! :yikes:
Another day of healing Over and many more to come
Diane
 
Great to hear the visit to the GP went well @Sudibar Car rides were rough for about three weeks. I hated swinging my legs into the car the unsupported lift was a pain. Used to hook them with my cane. All good now as I started to drive in week 4 but just an automatic. Chemists eh, I'd like to see them have something like a knee replacement done and see how they "exercise" their way to no pain. It gets better and better is all I can say. Yesterday the wife and I sorted our house out after months of renovations. Up an down the stairs lugging beds and cabinets, bit sore today but nothing ice and elevation won't improve.

Cheers,

Harry.
 
So here I am at 3 weeks post op and for a brief moment today glimpsed a bright future.

Doing fairly well, some days not brilliant still playing around with meds as stomach issues. Left knee is still lagging behind and more painful than the right (never really settled after painful physio session) Both still swollen but bruising disappearing. Bending is not brilliant yet.

Went to pool today and enjoyed 40 minutes of gentle movement, and was able to walk up steps like an adult!!!! So excited about that, needed very little assistance with rail, and little pain ----Incredible this is the future. :yahoo: So worth the 40 mins x 2, drive to get there! And I did take 1 endone before we left home.

This afternoon back to sore, stiff, resting and icing, but at least I know for a short while at least, where I am heading.

Sleep is still on a 2 hourly roster, yesterday eventually managed to roll on side after much struggle, didn't last long but was soooo good.

Still find I drift off, even when sitting up, maybe I should try sleeping sitting up tonight!:bored:

My beautiful hubby cut some roses from the garden and just bought them in for me, they smell glorious.

Will be happy when I can sit comfortable in a chair, I know patience, patience, patience.
Sleep well tonight in Bonesmart land
Diane
 
So smiling at you brilliant thats the way to go girl. Also loved the husband comment to have that in your life is so special. Yup future is bright

Legin THR Sep 14
 
nice for me to wake up and read a great report like yours @Sudibar it is indeed a brief glimpse of the future..something occurs to me almost every day how amazing new knees are and I say almost everyday because there are some days when I forget I have them......My right leg is not as far along as my left perhaps because my right was much worse than the left pre op with considerable bowing..was that the same as you? I would say if you are already tapering off meds better sleep is around the corner....for some reason if I am in the recliner with something boring on the TV I lapse off to sleep...grab as many short kips as you can..... 5:50 am trusty Dura-Kold on and about to have the second cup of French roast.....smell the roses Sudibar.....

Vinny
 
@Legin lovely to hear from you, we had glorious weather today, and it was lovely to get out of the house for a while. Hubby offered lunch afterwards, tempting, but by that stage I needed to get home and feet up!
@vinny love the "smell the roses", a brilliant reminder. My left was worst knee, larger incision and more work required, I just think the knees have a little talk and decide who is going to be cranky for the day!!!!
Well I am drifting off and had to check this sooo many times. Off to Noddy land for me
Diane
 
Yup you are in control of this recovery thing. Was a good day here to had a good walk well ish but fresh air is a glorious recharge. Have a grand snooze and weekend

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My left was worst knee, larger incision and more work required, I just think the knees have a little talk and decide who is going to be cranky for the day!!!!
My left knee was the "angel"----the right knee was always the "problem child."

It is interesting, but true---even though we have the same surgery at the same time, the knees recover in different ways and at different times.
 
I did it. So excited! :dancy:Managed to raise left leg off the bed. Called hubby in and did it a couple more times, just to prove I could. Told me I was now bragging. I totally agree! Feel like taking a full page ad in paper to broadcast to the world.
Also managed to roll over and sleep on 1 side for about an hour. Its getting better and better
Happy healing
Diane
 
No stopping you now Diane it will just keep getting better

Vinny
 
After a very uncomfortable afternoon with lots of icing and elevating the knees, I had a fantastic night and slept for a solid 5 hours. First time. Very excited --had to look at clock twice to confirm. " one small step for mankind..." I'd do a jig if my knees would allow it.
Hubby trying to source a laptop tray desk, I can't yet sit comfortable to do any bookkeeping and I think resting laptop on cushions on my legs, then working in bed, upset the little darlings badly. Always a way around things!
:banghead:Happy healing
Diane
 
Like to keep a record of my wins. Ordered a mini cycle machine, hubby put it together with no bits over at the end. YAHOOO Wasn't sure how I would go, but managed to get seated in chair and around I went!!!!!. Thought I'd aim for 5 minutes, then listening to the knees --decided let's try for 2 minutes for a few days and see. Knees felt much more pilable after.:bicycle1:
Another healing day done
Diane
 
Well done on cycling and listening to kness. Hmmmmmmm now shhhhhhhhhhh re bits left after assembling bike. I have told all of the family they always put a few spare bits in. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh thats years of excuses blown.
Oh btw the look I get when I say it tells me nae one is sallowing it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin The good news is you always have bits & pieces left for other odd jobs. The extra bits may just come in handy yet. :heehee:
 
True alas non seem to fit my neck tho. -note to self nae nodding head oh yes ooooooooops

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin The good news is you always have bits & pieces left for other odd jobs. The extra bits may just come in handy yet. :heehee:

I always have a few bits left over but can never remember where I put them if needed:scratch:..another joy of the aging process at least the new knees will age slower than their owner..:old:

Vinny
 
Just read your thread and you seem to be doing remarkably well on your own. Slow but steady is the way to go. With lots of naps and TLC from your husband. I think weekly PT is over rated, Ive had almost none but have stretched, iced, elevated and rested and am doing great. I really admire you people who have BTKRs but as another Bonesmart friend says , "one and done."
Good luck with the rest of your recovery - you're doing really well. Don't overdo things in the pool though. I did the first time cos it was so much easier to move but it went off with rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom