THR Linette333 is in recovery<

Thanks @Josephine and @Layla . I have my 6 week post- op appointment next Monday with my surgeon, so I will be seeking some answers from him then.
It is definitely less uncomfortable this week.
 
Week 6: It's hard to believe that this is the end of week 6! In many ways I thought I would be further on by now, but at the same time I know that I have made a lot of progress.
I have been getting out more this week. I went by bus into town to the hair salon ( a little scary, but I did it!) - it feels great to have presentable hair at last and to have got those roots covered up! I also found myself wandering around the stores while in town! One evening I went to my book group and it was good to talk about normal things again.
So the operated hip feels good, but I am definitely not up to losing the crutch yet - the leg is too stiff to not limp. So rather disappointing. The numb feeling/ache in the other leg is still bothering me quite a lot.
My 6 week post-op check up is tomorrow, so I am busy preparing a list of questions. I am really hoping that some of the restrictions will be lifted.
I think it 's important not to forget what my situation was pre-op, just 6 weeks ago. That trip to town by bus had become impossible, for example - too painful to even walk to the bus stop! I need to keep thinking positive thoughts! :thumb:
 
Good for you making the trek into town and doing so successfully. Those first trips take confidence as you're unsure how it will go. Yay :yes!: for fresh hair too. I think those little things go a long way in making us feel like we're getting back to normal once again. The fact that you were able to squeeze in some shopping is a good sign as well as making it to your book club meeting.

I wish you the best at your appt tomorrow. I hope you get all of your questions answered and that you only hear positive things from your OS.

Happy Sunday...enjoy the day!
@linette333
 
Happy Sunday @linette333, sounds like you had a good outing, hair done, little bit of shopping, good stuff! Hope you enjoy the rest of the day and have a great post-op tomorrow!
 
That sounds like a lovely week with many progressions! I think walking down a high street and having a little browse sounds wonderful as is getting your hair done! Mine is in week 2 of no wash as I cannot yet have a shower. Yuck :heehee:. Good luck with the check up tomorrow and I hope your restrictions get lifted. They really are a pain arent they !
 
@linette333
Think of all the things you did. If the crutch gets you out then go for it. I did not have a crutch, was told to use a cane, but that's how I started getting out and about. It felt so good, did not bother me to use it. Now I've been going without it, but I keep it in the car just in case I need it again at times.
 
Today I had my 6 week post op appointment with the OS. It really couldn't have gone better!:yes!:
He has lifted all restrictions, saying, "Just do whatever you like! I have given you a new hip! Now get out there and use it!" If something hurts at first, just ease into it gently or try later. No formal physio. I now have to work on the "four S es": strength, stamina, suppleness and stability. He suggested pool walking and the cross-trainer on zero resistance.
My next goal is to lose the crutch and use a cane, whilst working on my gait.
He said my other hip is "fine" and that my numb feeling and ache is coming from my back and should resolve as I build up strength.
I think I have mentioned before that my surgeon has a rather unusual style. Today he said: "Cross your legs!" When I protested that I wasn't allowed to do that, he replied , "Well, if anything goes wrong, you're in the right place!" :heehee:
I think to make his point, he told me at least 6 times to cross my legs - I could do it!
Anyway, that's it now! He doesn't want to see me again. That seems a bit odd to me .....
On arriving home, I immediately practised driving my car up and down our driveway and it felt fine!
So a good day at last! :loveshwr:
 
Whoa, what a great report from your surgeon, @linette333! I am sure you walked out of the office with a smile on your face, and feeling much more confident moving forward. Are you at 100% yet? No, but you are absolutely moving in the right direction--taking the bus, hair appointment, shopping--all great and "normal" activities that you weren't able to do before surgery. So happy to read a good report--keep on doing what you're doing!
 
What a wonderful report @linette333 !! You must be delighted. Well done that woman ! My physio went well too. I have a lot more confidence in what I can do now within the restrictions. Did you ask him about the tramadol and coming off it?
 
Great update! Nice visit with the OS. I can see where crossing your legs would make you apprehensive.
Cold comfort though, being in the right place if you dislocated. The pain would still be excruciating.
Leg crossing seems to be another one of those things some OS's say is fine.
Others maintain we should avoid. :shrug: I'm sure your OS is confident you'll contact him if any issues crop up, so therefore is comfortable in not scheduling a return visit. You're definitely on your way! :walking:
Happy Monday! Have a great week. :)
@linette333
 
Thanks all! Yes, to say that I was thrilled is an understatement!
I have no intention of crossing my legs anyway (always been told by physios in the past that it is very bad for posture etc.), but I get that he was trying to give me confidence and to see that there were no restrictions. His first reply to every question I asked ( Can I bend down? Can I sleep on my side? etc. etc.) was "Cross your legs!" :snork:
@Fiona444 , medication wasn't mentioned at all . I didn't raise the issue, as I am weaning myself off the Tramodol quite successfully now. I will certainly be reluctant to ever take it again though.
 
That is strange that he didnt answer your questions. Perhaps he is just proud of the fact that you can now do that if you wish :heehee: I dont think I will ever cross my legs again either, it is not good for circulation in lower legs and I want to stave off the old varicose veins :loll:It does give more confidence when the professionals confirm all is well doesnt it? I am delighted for you :friends: Great job on the tramadol too! I dont blame you for not wanting to take it again. I think I would be worried after my last experience as well
 
@linette333
Love your OS's personality. He reminds me a lot of my OS. He also lifted my restrictions like crossing my legs. I still cross my ankles, but I've also decided not to cross my legs anymore.
Enjoy your new freedom and glad you are now able to wean off the tramadol. ♥️
 
I checked in today to find out more about the “niggles” you mentioned on my thread, and was so delighted to see this account of your six-week check with your OS. Equally delighted to see the phrases “went by bus” and “hair salon” and “book group” and - best of all - “normal things”! I am literally counting the days until “normal things”, as I am sure you know, and it is such joy to read a post like this. On to the 4 S’s! I look forward to watching your progress unfold.

Edited to add: I was (unpleasantly) surprised by symptoms I had coming off an antidepressant a few years back. Once my PCP taught me a gentle taper, the symptoms subsided and all was well. I am relieved to hear you’ve sorted out an approach to discontinuing Tramadol that’s working for you. It sounds like you’ll just need a dose of the “tincture of time” and all will be well.
 
Last edited:
Oh my stars..
Excellent to hear such encouraging report, Triple 3.
Just add the physical activity incrementally...se how if floats with the new hip and onward...
:egypdance:
 
Having been told by the surgeon yesterday that it was now ok to sleep on my side, I decided to give it a try last night. So I gently lay on my good side - OMG! The best way to describe it is like lying on a huge, rocky boulder! I only managed about 10 seconds, the pain was intense. It continued to throb for about an hour after too.
I just wish I had tried to do it before my appointment with the surgeon yesterday, so that I could have asked about it.
I later tried the operated side and that just felt a bit uncomfortable around the incision.
So I have no idea what is going on with my left side! Anyone experienced anything similar?
 
@SelfHelp is struggling, though it is earlier days for him.
I can't speak to why exactly ( I had both sides to deal with), but side sleeping comfortably - especially after not doing it for a time - can take a while.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom