BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Linette333 is in recovery<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by linette333, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

United States United States
    I still find walking loosens me up the best, just plain walking on a smooth path, no hills. I get this feeling we are all wanting to get going faster than our bodies want to, guess it's just human nature....I have sore muscles, but I'm the one aggravating them now, cause no patience here....:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. shrek008

shrek008 junior member

Ireland Ireland
    I have found that using my local swimming pool for practicing my walking and exercising is a God send! Try to do an hour morning and evening just walking foward and then backwards in the pool, amazing results! You will also be able to do your muscle stretching exercises a lot easier in the pool.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@linette333 I am sorry to read about your possible piriformis issue, that can really hurt and refer pain down your leg, too. You are about 7 weeks post op, correct? Maybe now it's time to ask your OS about Physical therapy.. especially since you now have something other than your original surgery hip to discuss.
    I'm sorry you are having a set back, try to remember that its only temporary. :flwrysmile:
    The compensatory patterns can really strain our lower back and lower extremities.. but this too shall pass.

That's one of the reasons I opted to get hip # 2 fixed earlier than later,, it was beginning to make my other hip --that was replaced and doing so well-- hurt!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Oh so sorry to see this! I hope you’ll be able to sort this out soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. linette333

linette333 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks to you all for your advice and suggestions - as always, I am so grateful to this forum and to its wonderful members.:roseshwr:
    I am gently doing the stretches recommended for piriformis syndrome and next month, when my gym membership starts up again, I plan to pool walk. I will see how it is in a couple of weeks of this before contracting a physio, I think. Strangely, it seems much better today!:shrug:
    Maybe the left leg feels it is at last getting the attention it deserves! :snork:
    Of course let's not forget that I am self-diagnosed in this!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

I still find walking loosens me up the best, just plain walking on a smooth path, no hills. I get this feeling we are all wanting to get going faster than our bodies want to, guess it's just human nature....I have sore muscles, but I'm the one aggravating them now, cause no patience here...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Happy to read you are feeling a bit better this morning. Hope it continues to improve! @linette333 ❤️

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Layla

:hi: Hi @linette333 Happy Friday!
    Great news that today is a better day. I hope it long continues.
    You'll have to let us know how the pool walking goes. No warnings not to overdo. I know you get it.
    That sounds a bit like child psychology above :heehee: not my intention.
    A great weekend to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Your plan to resume pool walking sounds like a great idea, @linette333. It seems like the water would gently support you while allowing you to walk and stretch your muscles and maybe loosen up your piriformis if that's what's causing your current problem. Even if it does fix it, I still think that gentle walking will help with other parts of your lower body and will be helpful for regaining flexibility and strength. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. linette333

linette333 senior

Week 7: Yet another week of peaks and troughs! Following the great post op appointment with the OS on Monday, I have been more adventurous in my activities. I am now driving again! Only short distances, but it has done wonders for my independence. I have ventured out by myself on walks and it felt good.
    I have moved on to using a cane most of the time, taking the advice of the OS. I certainly feel less of an invalid when using it, but I don't know if it is helping to improve my gait.
    I went out for a restaurant lunch with friends today, which was lovely. I felt quite "normal "!
    The only real negative is this possible sciatica/piriformis syndrome. Yesterday was particularly painful, but today much better! :shrug: I am doing the stretches recommended, so hopefully that's helping. I can get back to the gym in another week, so looking forward to that.
    I am still very stiff, especially first thing in the morning and after sitting - normal?
    Bring on week 8! :good-bad:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Sorry about your pain. I too am most stiff in the morning and after sitting. I think it is to encourage us not to stay still for too long :heehee:. Great stuff on the driving. I cannot WAIT to drive again and feel independent. I am getting a bit of cabin fever now and want to move forwards. Have you tried heat on your piriformis?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. linette333

linette333 senior

@Fiona444 I am sitting on a heat pad as I type this! I did the same yesterday, so maybe this is also helping. I am giving everything a try anyway!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

@linette333 8 weeks!! Nothing like the independence of driving again. Feels like you are 16 again. Happy to hear you’ve been out with friends, enjoying more freedom with the cane.

Stiffness is very normal after sitting. My max was 30 minutes. Hard at lunch with friends, but moving more often should help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. ceezee

ceezee member

@linette333 The stiffness when sitting is exasperating. I’ve been known to suddenly push the chair back, stand up, let everything realign, and sit back down again. :snork:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Wow, 8 weeks and look at how far you've come, @linette333! Driving and lunch out with friends, that sounds like wonderful progress--I hope to get there in a few weeks myself. Sure, you've got this uncomfortable back stuff going on, but good to read that the stretches are helping so let's hope that goes away. I think everyone is stiff upon getting up--it is worse for me first thing in the morning, and getting up from chairs is a slow, slow process. Like many others, I stand up, shift my weight to make sure it "holds" and then focus on standing up straight--shoulders back, stomach in--before I take my first step. The first step or so may be a bit wobbly, but it generally resolves if I'm careful and deliberate in my movement. Happy Monday!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Layla

Hi and Happy Monday! :wave:
    Congrats on driving again. It makes a big difference knowing we can, even if we don't right away.
    At least that's the way I felt. I didn't like knowing I couldn't :tantrum2: even though I didn't want to go anywhere, lol.

Practice the heel-toe with the cane and I'll bet you lose the limp soon.

It's good to hear you were able to meet friends for lunch, getting back to life, that's why we do this.
    Feeling stiff upon arising from laying or sitting is considered normal at this point and I'm sure you notice it wanes after several steps.
    Wishing you a wonderful day!
    @linette333

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. linette333

linette333 senior

I have a question for those of you who are in the UK. Is it necessary here to get antibiotics before visiting the dentist? I know that it is advised in the US, but I have heard differing opinions for the UK. I have an appointment with the hygienist next week and I am not sure if I should cancel.

19. Layla

I'm not in the U.K. but just as it varies here, I believe it does there also. Neither my surgeon or dentist recommend it any longer.

I'd call the surgeon's office and see what they recommend. I would assume a receptionist could obtain that info for you easily enough, or may know the answer from receiving those type of calls frequently.

Here is some reading that may interest you -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...ctic-antibiotics-for-dental-procedures.20052/

Have a great evening!
    @linette333

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

There was a post on one of the facebook groups today about this. Apparently no need to have antibiotics as far as UK is concerned before dental treatment. They say there is no proof that it is beneficial, over use of them is causing problems. The only time it would be used is if there is an infection anyway such as an abscess which would be treated anyway. I will still check with my dentist before I go though just to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2