Guest viewing is limited

THR Linette333 is in recovery<

Good Morning @linette333 Glad the new medication is helping you at night. I also found ice helpful at night. For some reason my incision started hurting more right around this time in recovery. It was pretty short lived. Those nerves wake up and make themselves known. Sleep is the best medicine so whatever gets you more comfortable the better. Even sleeping for a bit during the day with ice. Sending healing wishes ❤️
 
Looking for some advice yet again! The swelling in my knee, especially behind the knee, has become much worse during the past two days. Really swollen and stiff. It was so bad that I was struggling to walk at all. So I removed the ted stockings for a couple of hours just as an experiment. The results are amazing! There is still a little stiffness, but I can walk and it's no longer painful. So what do I do? I have worn them 24/7 for 12 days. Is this too soon to ditch them?
 
I ditched mine after one week, but was on blood thinner and I made sure I got up and moved around and did those ankle presses a lot. Was on aspirin after a week 325mg. Still on that. My knee felt better after taking them off but maybe ask your in home nurse?
 
On my first THR I had the same... the TEDs killed my knee.. I persevered for for 4 weeks but wished I had ditched them sooner.... my knee was so swollen & painful & Im sure it stopped my hip recovery ...
if you are moving around a lot could you just put them on at night???
This time they had no effect on my knee???




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I also took aspirin but just for three weeks.
 
Thanks all for your advice. I am on aspirin for 6 weeks and I walking as much as possible - so I have ditched them! My knee is greatly improved and I am walking so much easier. Coward that I am, I may put them back on for my 6 week check-up though! :heehee:
 
Hello linette333 my OS said that on 11 July NICE have decided stockings are no longer required and there is a possiblity that blood thinners will no longer be required by the time I have my op. Just the asprin. Good to see you doing so well so early
 
:) :-) (::) :-) (:Week 2: Well, I have made it through 2 weeks! Fortunately I can see quite a few positives happening since last weekend. I have got my appetite back now, so I am eating better and I definitely feel more "myself" (if that makes sense!) As the weather has improved, I am walking outside and building up the distance every day. Still using 2 crutches. I am sleeping quite well - wake up once for the bathroom and once to take paracetamol., so getting around 6 hours. This is SO much better than pre-op! Gave up on the Ted stockings and knee swelling is much reduced.
Now the negatives! The operated leg is still fairly stiff, particularly behind the knee, and the incision is still painful. There is a strange swelling at the top of the incision, which I am hoping will disappear. I also have numbness across my buttocks, which makes sitting really uncomfortable - no idea where this has come from.
Anyway, more positives than negatives, so onwards and upwards! :) :-) (:
 
@linette333
Glad you have some positives. I was so much like you at 2 weeks. I had a swelling bump at the top of my stitches and then it sunk in really weird. My PT nurse said it was most likely fluid built up and then dissolved into my body? Now it looks normal again. This whole recovery process is really a day by day challenge. Every morning I wonder what's this day going to be like. It's very stressful at times.... I'm almost done with 4 weeks come Tuesday, good things happening, but still have a ways to go....and sounds like you are on track....:flwrysmile:
 
@Cecropia You are so right when you talk about a day by day challenge. Your swelling bump does sound like mine, so I hope mine also dissolves like yours.
Just read your report on your thread - so good to see how well you are doing. Especially walking with no aids - at (not even) 4 weeks out! :) :-) (:
Let's hope for another good week full of these small improvements which make such a difference! :fingersx:
 
Lots of ebb and flow in these early recovery days, triple 3.
Don't forget the ice...it is a great anti-inflammatory.
Hugs for a happy Sunday!
 
Week 3: another week of ups and downs.
Felt great at the start of the week - went on a trip to the garden centre and walked round with the crutches. Felt great to be out at last! A few visitors this Week, which cheered me up. Spent more time walking round outside in the garden too and the stiffness behind the knee is much reduced. Also walked around the supermarket and managed fine. Still finding it difficult to get into the car though. I am using just one crutch indoors now a lot of the time.
My problems this week are once again related to the medication. The Tramadol is making me extremely drowsy during the day, so I attempted to reduce it . Not very successfully! I went from 3 tablets per day to just one. As a result I hardly slept last night and have had an upset stomach all day today. I think I will go back to 2 tablets - one at 5.30 p.m. and then one at bedtime. Why is this so difficult? :scratch:
I know that I need to focus on the positives, so that's my plan for next week!:thumb:
 
Does anyone think I could be experiencing withdrawal symptoms? Surely not after just 3 weeks on 3 tablets per day? :chinstroke:
 
I'm not a medical professional by any means but don't think withdrawal is your issue. It's pretty mild in the grand scheme of things. Are you taking any food with it, even crackers? Sometimes a cracker or two can help avoid that weird tummy feeling.
 
@linette333
I was on hydrocodone 5mg every 4 hours for one week. I dropped it cold Turkey and went straight to tylenol every 4 hours 500mg. In my case I felt funny, stomach queasy, just not quite right and I also wondered if I was having mild withdrawal. I improved after about 5 days and started feeling less funny....that's just my experience.
 
@linette333
Oh and my pain was controlled okay on the Tylenol, that's another issue, if your pain is controlled after stopping and using over the counter pain medication then it could be mild withdrawal. Maybe...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom