Guest viewing is limited

THR Linette333 is in recovery<

The operated leg is still fairly stiff, particularly behind the knee, and the incision is still painful. There is a strange swelling at the top of the incision, which I am hoping will disappear.

I had (or still have) all of this stuff. It varies by day, and there have been some "backwards" developments, but in general is all getting better.
 
Hi there fellow triple 3 :wave:
Hope all is still improving and you are doing well.
Lots of improvement yet to come and then you can get back to life in a big way.
Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Week 4: Yet another week of ups and downs! I am lengthening my walks outside now ( shopping centre and local park) and feeling very comfortable with just one crutch indoors. But I am nowhere near ready to walk without yet - my leg feels far too stiff to walk without a limp. More practice, I suppose ......
I turned down an invitation to a restaurant meal with friends - not ready to sit for so long just yet, nor to ride in unknown cars. Happier to wait until I can do it more easily.
Sleeping reasonably well (thanks to Tramadol) in 2 - 3 hour stretches. But Tramadol also still affecting my stomach and making me drowsy.
On the whole, more ups than downs!
:good-bad:
 
Happy one month hipversary, 333
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
Often this can be a time where recovery can feel in a stall, but all will keep getting easier.
Well done this far:friends:
 
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
It's good to read you're having more ups than downs.
It's too bad Recovery isn't just smooth sailing and progress day by day.
Some days it does feel discouraging, but it's such early days and it will get better.
It's great you're lengthening your walks and feeling comfortable without the crutch indoors. All progress.
I found sitting for long periods confining and uncomfortable also at the stage you're at. Car rides being the worst! I'm sorry the Tramadol is affecting your tummy. I wonder if your Primary could recommend something as a better fit for you? Wishing you all the best as you continue on the journey....you're getting there. :walking:
@linette333
 
Week 5: The week started really well with 2 good walks on Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday, feeling encouraged, I decided to go a bit further - about an hour 's walk in total. Yes, I know exactly what you are all thinking and you are right - I definitely joined the ODIC! :nah:
Lots of rest, elevating and icing for the next 2 days has seen some improvement fortunately. Lesson learned!
The numb feeling I commented on in week 2 is becoming increasingly troublesome - extending down my non-operated leg now. I am wondering if it is nerve damage after the spinal injection. I am now icing this too and it helps.
The nausea and hot sweats, which I attribute to Tramadol (rightly or wrongly) continue as I try to wean myself off.
So my week has ended on a sour note ....
But tomorrow sees the start of a new week and I have a couple of outings planned - hairdresser appointment and an evening with friends. So despite a disappointing week, I will try to remain positive! :SUNsmile:
 
Good Morning, Linette
I'm sorry you've landed in the ODIC. Sometimes it takes pushing it to learn our limitations.
You've learned a lesson and thankfully are on the mend, so that's good.

Have you spoken with your OS about the numbness in your non op leg? If so, wondering what type of response you received? Would you like us to involve, Josephine, to see what she has to say about it? I'm curious about the nausea and night sweats also and think you deserve some answers, or reassurance, that all falls under the category of normal, given the circumstances and timeline.

Wishing you comfort as you continue the journey.
@linette333
 
Ok, I've tagged @Josephine and will look forward to her response with you.
I hope you have a nice Sunday!
@linette333
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Yes, I'm happy to answer any questions. Thank you!
 
I'm 99.9 3/4 percent sure Jo will check back for your response without a tag. High odds :heehee:
Let's tag her though to make sure she sees you're interested in responding to her questions...she can get pretty busy here. :wink:
@Josephine
 
Last edited:
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
My answers:
1. Posterior

2. 0-3. 3-4 in buttocks

3. Paracetamol 2 x500mg tabs ×4 per day. Tramadol 50mg x3 per day, now splitting open the capsules to reduce

4. Yes, icing 3 or 4 times a day for 45 mins to an hour.

5. Yes, elevating for an hour or so at a time whenever I am sitting and most of the evening.

6. Walking around 30 mins twice a day (with 2 crutches outdoors, 1 crutch inside) Preparing simple meals for two. A little ironing and tidying.

7. 3 or 4 times a day
Standing knee raises × 8
Standing knee bends x 8
Standing leg abduction x 8
Standing backwards leg swings x 8

No PT.

Hope these answers are ok. Thanks @Josephine
 
Yes, they are fine.

2. 0-3. 3-4 in buttocks
About right for 5½ weeks out.
3. Paracetamol 2 x500mg tabs ×4 per day. Tramadol 50mg x3 per day, now splitting open the capsules to reduce
Why are you splitting the dose of Tramadol when you are so early out? You need that pain medication for at least another 4-6 weeks and at 50mg 3-4 times a day. Besides which, you should never split capsules because you cannot possibly divide them properly.
4. Yes, icing 3 or 4 times a day for 45 mins to an hour.
That's good.
5. Yes, elevating for an hour or so at a time whenever I am sitting and most of the evening.
so is this
6. Walking around 30 mins twice a day (with 2 crutches outdoors, 1 crutch inside) Preparing simple meals for two. A little ironing and tidying.
good, good
7. 3 or 4 times a day
Standing knee raises × 8
Standing knee bends x 8
Standing leg abduction x 8
Standing backwards leg swings x 8

If you read your Recovery Guidelines, you would see in there the BIG TIP which says quite explicitly that hips need NO exercising or physio. Remember this?

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Thanks, @Josephine, but I am actually 5½ weeks post op.
My numb feeling in the buttocks (mainly non-operated side) only came on around 2 weeks ago.
 
But why? @Josephine

I don't understand...do you? @linette333

For how long can this go on? And WHY is it okay for the non op side feel numb?
One wouldn't think that would seem normal.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom