THR Linette333 is in recovery<

What is the status of your left hip?
Any OA present there?

@Mojo333 I asked yesterday and he looked at the x rays and said it was "fine "

Well that is great to hear.:ok:
You might want to try a pillow between your knees for a bit, maybe muscles are pulling in an odd way?

I do hope you have a good day.:SUNsmile:

@linette333 I wonder if it is because you have not slept on your good side for so long that it has changed the muscle position or structure like @Mojo333 says?

I am dreaming about being able to sleep on my side. Really cannot wait

After my great news yesterday, today has been such a disappointment. :thud:
My non operated leg has continued to be painful, mainly around the buttocks area, after the attempt to lie on my side. I think there must be something going on with the muscles, sciatica maybe. It's just so frustrating when all is so good with the new hip!
My left leg is clearly asking for a share of the attention, that's for sure! :umm:

@linette333 Sorry to read that you are having a down day. Maybe its from all of the leg crossing that OS had you do!! It's a frustrating ride to the finish line, isn't it? Everybody is different in what they like and maybe it would be something you'd be comfortable with but have you considered getting a nice massage? I am only 4 weeks post op but my un-operated hip and leg are sure getting a workout from all of the stairs in my home.
I posted an illustration of how to get back to side lying on Selfhelp's thread, if you'd like I can post it here too, just let me know. You're probably not to keen to try that again anytime soon, though.
Take care, tomorrow is another day. :friends:

Thanks @CricketHip ! The side sleeping guide would be useful, but you are right - I won't be trying it again for a while! A massage sounds good, as long as it's not too hard - I will look into it.

Pre-op, our gait changes as our hip deteriorates from all the favoring we do of our ailing hip.
Post op, we do some favoring also initially, we're often apprehensive because we're unsure of what we should and shouldn't do and whether or not certain moves may hurt. We've also established a pattern. Our gait changes once again as we begin to heal and relax in using our new hip. Both instances can result in sore muscles. This is the explanation my surgeon's PA gave me. Wait awhile on the side sleeping. I didn't even attempt it for a couple months and then only slowly easing into it. Wishing you comfort and relief from your aches and pains.
@linette333

Thanks @Layla - what you say makes a lot of sense (as always!). I must continue to be patient ....... :whistle:
It just seems so ridiculous to be icing the "good" leg!

One more thing, not sure if you've read this on the forum, but Jaycey often reminds members they need to replace their shoes because the shoes you wore most often pre-op have a wear pattern in them. Obviously you're not going to get rid of your entire shoe wardrobe but it is wise to buy a new pair of shoes that you're comfortable wearing most days.
@linette333

I don't know why some massages have to be so deep, it bothers me when I hear this.
Thanks @CricketHip ! The side sleeping guide would be useful, but you are right - I won't be trying it again for a while! A massage sounds good, as long as it's not too hard - I will look into it.

Well, if and when you are ready, maybe this will help you, too. I hate to admit it but I've been sleeping on my side for about a week, now. I usually try to sleep on my back but once in a while I just needed to roll over! but only for an hour or so, tops. I think you are doing really well.. there's a lot of aches and pains and twinges during this THR healing event.

THR: laying on my side - when can this be done?

I don’t take setbacks well. At all. So you have all my sympathy, because I would be quite exasperated. I would have to talk to myself pretty strictly to make sure I didn’t let today’s setback take away yesterday’s accomplishment and joy. I know both steps are all part of the same dance, and that recovery doesn’t happen without them both, but if I was in charge, I’d fix this first thing! Since I can’t, I will just say, all the lovely things we celebrated just a day or two ago are still lovely and side sleeping will happen again...sometime...:)

You speak such wise words @Ptarmigan ! Thank you - just what I needed to hear. I have given myself a stern talking to this morning! Here begins a new day on the rollercoaster ride of recovery! :SUNsmile:

Hey @linette333 I am sorry that you feel down. It doesnt take much for us to forget the good stuff and focus on the bad. I do it myself all too often. BUT if we can give ourselves a bit of a break for all the miracles that have happened and realise that more will happen again soon, it sometimes helps. Hard I know. You have had so much good stuff happening and I am sure the side sleeping and pains will subside. My physio suggested heat rather than ice for the painful muscles. This will help pull healing blood to the inflammation. Might be worth a shot?

Not pain-free, but a much better day today! Thanks to all of you who responded to my moans yesterday. :roseshwr:
My new cane, purchased from Amazon, arrived today and I have been practising with it. It feels ok, but not sure I am ready to move on from the crutch yet. At the moment I am just substituting one for the other ......

I know that I must be sounding like a hypochondriac, but I am now quite convinced that I am suffering from piriformis syndrome. After some googling, I see that I have the classic symptoms. I have found a few stretches, but are these safe with my hip? (Other leg). Has anyone else had this problem following a THR?

Ugh, piriformis problems can be the pits! I can't answer your question about whether the stretches are safe or not, @linette333, but you could gently try a few (stopping immediately if you experience any pain) to see if they help. When I've had problems with this pesky muscle, I found PT exceedingly helpful. Good luck--and hope today is a better day. It does sometimes feel like "two steps forward, one step back" but know that you, and all of us, are moving in the right direction on the recovery trail. It can just seem so long sometimes, but we're going to get there--chin up!

Oh gee I had that a while back--bloomin painful. PT took care of it related to hip she said. You aren't a hypochondriac--unless I'm the queen--it just seems that other things occur after hip replacement or come to the forefront. Seems like it is in the general area too on your behind close to the hip.Hope you find a solution with your PT.

Yes, I am going to have to seek out some PT. Of course I haven't been offered any- my surgeon was so adamant that it wasn't needed. Hmmm ........:umm:

My PT was my salvation. I was able to go for 12 years with OA. Needed hip replacement at 54 so 12 years ago. So I had bilateral in May as you can see-the only reason being my rt. hip which was fine descended like a falling star within a year--last year.Yes, I am glad I had the surgery and glad I waited because OS says 30 years for these. I was not in pain which was very different from many--merely stiffness which hampered certain activities but I could function.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts