BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Linette333 is in recovery<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by linette333, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    What a great update. Everything sounds like it's falling into place for a smooth Recovery.
    You're on your way! :yahoo:
    Wishing you comfort and a great first week home.
    @linette333

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@linette333
    You really sound great, so happy for you!!!:SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    You sound wonderful; I hope you are resting well :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. linette333

linette333 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Carriemay60 I have been pleasantly surprised by this experience so far. I always expect the worst so it does happen! I am following the Bonesmart plan and your example all the way - slow and steady! :) :-) (:

• Like Like x 2
  5. linette333

linette333 member

Day 3: Slept well again. I have felt more pain today and the bruising seems to be coming out. Spent the day watching TV and walking every hour or so for 5 minutes, as per advice on here and from the physio at the hospital. I feel incredibly sleepy - I'm guessing that is the effect of the tramadol- and have very little appetite. All part of the process, I suppose!
    But I am certainly not complaining! It's early days and I am taking one day at a time! :curtsey:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello @linette333
    It's good you slept well again.
    New bruising is normal, as is feeling sleepy. Take advantage. Your body does it's best healing while you're asleep. Sounds like your doing well at only three days post op. Keep it up.
    Wishing you a peaceful evening!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    For the first week to 10 days I was very sleepy and tired easily. So sleepy I would fall asleep mid sentence and once fell asleep on a video call with my daughter and grandson! I napped for a few hours everyday. I would still enjoy a nap most days but got to the point that I felt I was missing too much of the day. It's not just the Tramadol (actually mine doesn't make me sleepy at all) It's the energy drain and general recovery from major surgery.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@linette333 My hydrocodone made me very sleepy, so I slept well too which was a good thing. One day at a time like you said, you are doing great.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. linette333

linette333 member

@Cecropia Thanks for the encouragement - it really helps. How are you doing?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Hi! :wave:I'm taking it one day at a time too. I'm starting week 3 so I did cut back to using acetaminophen only. I'm not so sleepy now, but kinda liked being sleepy because I've had insomnia for many years, but I don't use sleeping aids. So now that I'm restless at night I took to sleeping in the living room recliner so not to keep my husband awake because I ice during the night, browse the Internet, have a snack, walk around with my walker to loosen up the stiffness that settles in mostly during the night. I'm just trying to be patient....:bored: with my progress. I'm sore in the butt, had posterior....and still not quite able to side sleep, which will let me go back to my bed when that happens. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. linette333

linette333 member

@Cecropia I am also an insomniac, so I am rather enjoying this sleepy feeling too!
    Day 4: another decent night, then the usual round of resting, walking, elevating and icing. I'm certainly not missing any nice weather - dark, wet and miserable sums it up! :nah:
    I had a my first home shower today and managed ok. It was so tempting not to put those stockings back on, but my husband insisted, so .....! A friend called by with some flowers, which cheered me up.
    I am feeling stiffness rather than pain - mostly when I walk.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Sounds like you are doing very well for just days out of surgery. Easy does it! The weather is just dire - so you are not missing any sunny walks outside.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@linette333 Oh how I love the showers. I use a bench now, I think I'll keep it for later use, shoulhid be easy when I can shave my legs again instead of standing in the shower. lol. My first week I slept in bed comfortably because of my narcotic. Because I'm stubborn I stopped it 6 days ago now, so my pain level is a bit higher even tho on acetaminophen and why sleeping is more difficult as I feel the muscle aches more. So if I'm more sore it's my own fault. The stiffness will get better walking. That's one thing I've noticed is better. I think you had anterior, does your bottom hurt to sit? That's my biggest problem, sitting is very uncomfortable no matter even if it's my recliner. Icing a lot, just makes no difference.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

So don't be stubborn and stop your narcotic unless you are a stubborn one too....:thumb: :wink:

15. linette333

linette333 member

@Cecropia I have enough narcotics to last another 10 days and I have no plans to stop for some time yet! Actually I also had posteria, but the incision is more to the side and doesn't interfere with sitting at all - I'm very grateful for that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

Me three! I was thrilled to be so sleepy as to be able to nap during the day -- something I could never manage to do pre-surgery. I say just roll with it. If your body wants to sleep, let it. :sleeep:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. yorkiegs1

yorkiegs1 junior member

Congrats. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Tomorrow is my big day. Yikes!! Surgery at 8am.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. linette333

linette333 member

All the best @yorkiegs1 ! It's certainly a scary prospect, but it will all soon be over. I am so pleased that I did this! I will look forward to seeing you on this side very soon! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. linette333

linette333 member

Day 5: I am pleased with the progress with my hip. My walking is definitely smoother and today's walks around the house have been slightly longer. The swelling is more pronounced today, especially round the knee.
    However I woke up this morning feeling very nauseous and this has continued throughout the day. I am guessing that this is due to all the painkillers I'm taking. But strangely it seems to be worse when the next dose is due and then relieved for a while after I've taken them. Any ideas anyone? I will ring the hospital tomorrow if there's no change.
    I will be glad when I can start reducing them, although I am not really sure how soon that is advisable.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@linette333 Sorry about the nausea. Painkillers effect everyone different. Have you asked about anti nausea medication? I was on something different, hydrocodone. I was prescribed 10mg every 4 hours. I cut mine in half, it had the cut line and my pharmacist said it was okay to cut them if I felt the dose was too strong. So I took 5mg every 5 hours and that seemed to work for me. I would check with your doctor and see what they advise. You don't want to be in major pain especially when you are only at day 5.

• Friendly Friendly x 1