TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

It's a little swollen and uncomfortable this morning, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with how it's held up. I'm getting plenty of rest today as my husband is insisting on doing everything including making lunch for a friend coming round later. He's a treasure!
Wow, after all you did yesterday, your knee is doing great! How blessed you are to have such a wonderful hubby!

For a few days now I've been wondering when it's ok to try kneeling. This morning I was getting up off the floor after doing some of my back exercises and, very tentatively, put my knee down on the carpet, gradually taking some weight on it until I was balanced on all fours. I was amazed that it felt fine. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that! It was more comfortable than kneeling before surgery.

It's such a beautiful day here today, we went off to one of the Royal Parks nearby and I managed just over an hour's walk round the camellias, magnolias and the first rhododendrons to flower - and clocked just under 6000 steps on the old pedometer. :flwrysmile:

Awesome! I'm only a week or so behind you but I don't think I'm up to near that long a walk and kneeling still scares the heck out of me!:shocked:

I can’t wait for the day to come that I can walk for even half that unaided and pain free. Good for you!! :thumb:

For a few days now I've been wondering when it's ok to try kneeling.
It's probably a bit soon for that. Some surgeons prefer that their patients don't kneel, so you should probably check that with him/her.

I can kneel, but I prefer not to, as it feels strange.

At about 3 months post-op, I started kneeling on a cushion on the bed and I gradually decreased the amount of padding under my knee, until I could kneel on the carpet. Although I can kneel on a harder surface, I only do that if I absolutely have to.

Some people can never kneel.

Awesome @Lindylee it sounds like your recovery has taken an upwards gain! Your doing very well. I’m following close behind you by a week and still have issues with standing for long periods of time, but walking is getting better the more I do the better it gets!

@Celle Thank you Celle. I asked if there was anything I shouldn't do and all he said was 'don't run or jump'. The hospital website says it's ok to kneel, although says many prefer not to, but doesn't say when it's ok to do so. Before this week I hadn't even considered it, hadn't even rolled on to my front lying down until I went to the chiropractor on Tuesday. It was a very tentative kneel, just to gauge how it might feel, and I didn't put all my weight on it. I don't plan on kneeling a lot, but was pleased that it didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable.

I'd also like to stress that my hour long walk wasn't a strenuous one, just an amble admiring the blossoms and the flowers and I did use my stick towards the end of it, especially walking back uphill to the car.

@Smokey253 I still find standing still for any length of time uncomfortable. Waiting to go into the cinema Thursday I was shifting weight and moving legs on the spot, felt rathe like a 2 year old needing the toilet!:heehee:

Sounds like you're doing well. You should gradually find that you have more endurance for standing, though you might still find long standing and/or sitting times make you stiffen up a bit for a while yet.

Just over 10 weeks now and I had my first dance last night :loveshwr:really feel that things are getting back to normal. I'm still taking paracetemol, icing and elevating as knee is swelling, which is really down to spending more time on it. I still have pain on the outside of the knee sometimes when putting pressure on a bent knee, yet it doesn't bother me going upstairs normally. Coming down I still need to hold on both sides. I can do it with one hand only, but have to take it very slowly.

After my scabs fell off it looked as if a stitch had come up through the scar. 3 weeks later there was no sign of it coming away and I happened to mention it to one of the women at our dance class who also happens to be a GP. She, very kindly, had a look and suggested I massage it with a moisturising cream - I used Bio-Oil, which I was already using on my scar and 4 days later I realised it had come away in the night. :yes!:

Three month anniversary today and, to celebrate, my knee has decided to be swollen and painful. I think it's reminding me of what I put it through! In fairness to 'Kneedy' Monday's excursion to London didn't do it a lot of good and yesterday out visiting all day, most of it spent sitting with feet on floor, aggravated it even more. It (poor thing doesn't even have a gender) even kept me awake last night, first time for weeks and a smallish bump (for want of a better word) has appeared on the outer, lower side of the knee, which is the area I've always had any pain if I've done anything it doesn't particularly like. Up to now I've been impressed with the smooth, roundness of my new knee, no lumps or bumps to be seen, unlike the other one, which has a very large bump in exactly the same place, so not sure whether this is normal or not. I'd understand it more if my knee was less swollen, as would assume the kneecap was just more defined and maybe that's what it is, but no doubt I'll find out. It's ironic that 6 weeks PT caused no problems and a couple of days doing normal activities has an adverse effect. I did get very impatient with it all midweek, but keep hearing the surgeon's voice in my ear telling me to expect pain and swelling for 6 months and reminding me I still have a way to go. I hope everyone else is getting on ok and enjoying the Easter Holidays.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing a set back. As I’ve read in these forums it’s still early in recovery Even at three months it’s still a baby. Happy anniversary!

I hope you have a quick recovery from the set back. :console2:

Yip I’m with you @Lindylee, knee been fabulous for a couple of weeks-and I’m even sleeping a bit better, then yesterday we had friends round for Easter dinner. Between doing housework in the morning then cooking a roast lamb dinner , setting the table etc etc my knee was up like a ballon by the time they arrived. After dinner we played Monopoly for nearly 3 hours, much laughter so forgot about the knee, wnen they left last night I could hardly put my foot to the floor and had to ice which I haven’t done for a few weeks now. I’m 10 weeks out today and it hadn’t half let me know that it’s still in charge:dubious:

@Lilli215 I hope your knee's feeling better today. Mine seems to be swelling a lot more now, but I am on it more. At least it's not keeping me awake now. I'd say I'm back to my pre-op walking speed now and it's only the back stopping me walking for longer. I saw my chiropractor this morning who thought it would need done adjusting after the op and she's advised 2 weekly visits until it settles.

Well, yesterday saw me moaning and groaning, had stabbing pains in the centre of my kneecap, hadn't had those for ages and couldn't relate them to anything I'd done. I'd only been walking the day before, no exercises. I went along to our dance class last night and managed a good few dances, just the slowish ones, but it felt great and knee seemed to ease as I was doing it. This morning I was doing some stretches in bed, happened to lift my operated leg straight up in the air and was shocked when I lifted the other one to see how crooked it was compared to my lovely straight operated leg. It made me far more appreciative of the work that's been done and the pain that's been associated with it. Just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else.

I went along to our dance class last night and managed a good few dances, just the slowish ones, but it felt great
I slowly and carefully started bowling again at 12 weeks and yes, it was great to be there with my friends even in a limited capacity.

@Lindylee isnt awesome to finally have a straight leg? Sounds like you are doing well...weird and strange pains are normal. These knees are divas for a long time. Good to see your chiropractor is taking care of your back too, all this realignment affects every area of our skeletal system.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back