TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

These little things we can suddenly do sure give a boost. I can now do the whole flight of (13 steps) stairs one foot over the other holding onto the bannister one side and handrail the other. I haven't quite graduated to just one hand yet or coming down one foot at a time, although I test it on the last step down, which is getting easier.
I can now put shoes and socks on comfortably, stand up to put trousers on and pick things off the floor by bending down.
I've started using Bio Oil on my scar and the improvement is amazing in such a short time. I had quite a thick ridge at the middle part of the scar and that's completely flattened now. My Pilates teacher contacted me to see how I was doing, which was very nice of her. I told her about my issues attempting a shoulder bridge and she suggested trying it with my feet up the wall. Success! No pain either. :spin:

Yay for those accomplishments! :happydance:

There really is no need to do bridges and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen @Josephine advise against them. It’s really early to try them. Maybe much later?

You’ve been coming along so well it would be really sad to have an unnecessary exercise cause a setback. :console2:

Thanks Jockette, I appreciate the concern and advice. I've done the shoulder bridges for years. It's an exercise my chiropractor gave me for my back, a physio for my gluteal tendonopathy and my Pilates teacher for my glutes. I used to fall over a lot, but ever since I started Pilates and strengthened my glutes I haven't had a fall. I'm keen to keep the glutes strong for that reason and as it was one on the list for knees I thought I'd give it a try. Believe me, I have no intention of doing anything that hurts and with feet on the wall it really is fine. There was no pressure in the knee at all. I promise I'll be careful. :thankyou:

I promise I'll be careful. :thankyou:
Awesome! I’m glad it’s not a new exercise for you, so I’m sure you’re good at it after all this time and you have lots of people looking out for you. :flwrysmile:

@Lindylee
Congratulations on your progress navigating the stairs. I can go up normally, one foot at a time, but I keep my hand right over the handrail just in case. But I haven’t even tried going down without the handrail yet, except as you said, on the last step. What I learned there is why I haven’t tried it from any higher just yet. You are definitely ahead of me in putting on shoes and socks comfortably. I can do it, but it is still a stretch as I do not have quite enough radial flexibility. Sounds like you are making great progress. Keep up the good work.:) :-) (:

Before I joined Bonesmart I came across a You Tube video about massaging KR scars. I've been following their advice using Bio Oil on my scar, as I had a thick ridge like they describe. It worked and my scar is so improved Ithought I'd share. I hope the link works

7 weeks today and I received a form from the hospital asking me to rate my satisfaction with the operation on a scale of 0-100. I find that difficult as it feels too early to say. I don't regret having it, but I'm not able to participate in activities I was doing up to the operation so how can I say it's successful or not? I plumped for halfway in the end and gave 50, but I might as well have stuck a pin in the scale.

I came across a funny video on pain and the brain ( a link from a course on back pain that I'm doing) - you wouldn't normally put the 2 together would you - (funny and pain that is!)? If anyone fancies watching it...... could it be proof that knee pain is the worst pain though?

Last edited:
Had a good day today, ventured out on bus and train for the first time to go to the cinema. Two and a half hours watching Bohemian Rhapsody and, apart from a little discomfort after a couple of hours, the knee behaved beautifully. 5 hours out the house is the longest I've been without icing and elevating. Even came home and cooked dinner. Knee is a little swollen and uncomfortable now, but nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be. I hope I'm still saying that tomorrow!

Great you got out and about! A change of scenery other than the doctors office or picking up meds is emotionally therapeutic ! I’m looking forward to watch that movie too. :yes!:

@Smokey253 You're so right. I felt quite nervous going, knowing it would be the first time I'd be out for that length of time and sitting in one position with my leg down for a long time too, so another hurdle over :yes!:
The movie was great. Rami Malek played the part of Freddie to a T. How are you doing now? I saw you had a bad day, hope today's looking brighter. :console2:

Well you know how days go some good some not so good over the past couple days I had one of each. Tomorrow is my follow up with my OS who I hope will clear me to return to work on Monday I have PT before that. Then I have to run and get my blood checked for my blood thinner levels and then an MRI of my head/brain to check of the blood clot (I had a cerebral thrombosis stroke) sept 2018. That will be 45 minutes of h——-! Laying prone in a tube :oyvey:I hope it has dissolved so I can get off the blood thinners. So a full day for sure. Oh and we are getting yet another snow storm/blizzard starting tomorrow afternoon.

@Smokey253 Yes,I know what those up and down days are like. You've had a run of it really haven't you? That's a lot to deal with in 6 months. I hope it goes well for you tomorrow - that's a pretty full on day. Take care.

@Lindylee Sounds like you are really doing well. 5 hours out and the knee behaved well; amazing! Did you use a cane on that adventure? You said that it was a little swollen and uncomfortable at the end of the day. That’s understandable. I still have that problem as well. My office is up 15 stairs, so I usually make that journey several times a day. By the end of the day, its just a bit grumpy :nah:. So, I still have to humor it with a little icing now and then. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

@Denny39 Thanks Denny. I did take my cane. I knew there would be a few stairs to climb up and down (41 at the station to start with) plus a big step up onto the train and it meant I qualified for a seat on the bus with extra legroom! I'm very pleased with how it went. It's a little bit swollen this morning after I'd been up and down the stairs a few times, but it actually feels slightly more comfortable.
Physio this afternoon, so will see what that does for me.
Glad to hear you're doing well too.

41 stairs . . . . Plus a big step onto the train, away from home??? You’re really putting it all out there! Good job, and congratulations; but please be careful.

@Denny39 Thanks for the concern. I had my husband with me in case I needed extra help and I took the stairs slowly, prepared to go back to leading just with the good leg if it was too much alternating. I did take the lift in the cinema, didn't want to push my luck!

Using the bike and cross trainer at physio was so much easier today, the knee felt much more supple in its movement. Standing from sitting has been one of the hardest things to date. The knee hasn't liked pressure when it's been bent, but even that was easier, although I stopped as soon as it started to object. It's a little swollen again now, so icing and elevating as I type.

I’m glad you’ve had some really good improvements! :happydance: That makes it a little easier to hang in there, doesn’t it?

@Jockette So much easier.:egypdance: I can't believe how much better it all feels this week. I'm being careful though. I know I may still take a step back at some point, but don't want to deliberately do anything to cause it if I can help it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back