Lindylee
post-grad
@Irish471 I don't get any pain at the back of my knee.
At first it ached a lot there and I still get swelling in that area from time to time. I'd say my pain is on the side going round to the front of the knee and from where the crease of the knee sits to about an inch below. It's a lot better than it was.
To begin with it was excruciating when lifting the leg or standing from sitting. It still catches sometimes and it can feel a little tender if I press that area so I have wondered if it is an IT band issue. The PT who did my original assessment said my hamstrings were very strong and gave me some hamstring stretches to do. Maybe I should do more of them instead of concentrating on strengthening my quads now.
I've always felt any problems I had bending the knee came more from the kneecap area than the back of the knee. One of my back exercises is to lie on my back and hug my knees to my chest (I've always hugged my thighs rather than knee's, so behind my knees in effect).
To begin with, my operated leg just stayed at 90 degrees, but gradually it's gained flexion and now if I pull my thighs in towards my chest I let my lower legs relax and just hang for a few seconds (not if there's any pain though) just to see what the difference is and it's now only half my foot's length. In other words, the toes of my unoperated leg can touch the middle of the instep of the operated one if that makes sense.
I feel more positive after Josephine's comments. It really didn't help that the registrar's 'complicated' comment kept sticking in my mind.
At first it ached a lot there and I still get swelling in that area from time to time. I'd say my pain is on the side going round to the front of the knee and from where the crease of the knee sits to about an inch below. It's a lot better than it was.
To begin with it was excruciating when lifting the leg or standing from sitting. It still catches sometimes and it can feel a little tender if I press that area so I have wondered if it is an IT band issue. The PT who did my original assessment said my hamstrings were very strong and gave me some hamstring stretches to do. Maybe I should do more of them instead of concentrating on strengthening my quads now.
I've always felt any problems I had bending the knee came more from the kneecap area than the back of the knee. One of my back exercises is to lie on my back and hug my knees to my chest (I've always hugged my thighs rather than knee's, so behind my knees in effect).
To begin with, my operated leg just stayed at 90 degrees, but gradually it's gained flexion and now if I pull my thighs in towards my chest I let my lower legs relax and just hang for a few seconds (not if there's any pain though) just to see what the difference is and it's now only half my foot's length. In other words, the toes of my unoperated leg can touch the middle of the instep of the operated one if that makes sense.
I feel more positive after Josephine's comments. It really didn't help that the registrar's 'complicated' comment kept sticking in my mind.
United Kingdom

I am physically struggling now. I find looking to the future and what it will be like with both knees done gives me that boost to overcome the dread. You have come a long way and yes we have a long way to go but the end result will be worth it. Stay strong and take care of you 

that’s the problem when we start feeling good we go overboard. I too have these aches and pains in my back and hip but until this other knee gets done it won’t get well
. Sorry about the reflux I find that mine flares up during those heavily medicated dates I use to take Prilosec but now that I have to take plavix I was switched to Zantac everyday. Now that the weather has warmed up my mood and outlook has improved! Gotta love that natural vitamin D