
I had a fabulous night out dancing last night. It was just so nice to put on a posh frock, a pair of heels, even if they were fairly low, and be out socialising with the usual crowd. I did a fair bit of dancing too, with no ill effects so far other than a mildly swollen knee, but someone commented on how less puffy my whole leg was. It gave me such a psychological boost being out with everyone. She watched me walking and said my knee was drifting inwards as I walked. This was my problem before surgery and I hoped surgery would correct it and make my knee feel more stable. It did seem that way for the first few weeks and then I had begun to feel it was moving inwards again as I went upstairs.
I haven’t commented on this because it’s out of the realm of my experience, but I think maybe you should try to see your surgeon again?Each time I saw my OS's registrar he mentioned it was a complicated knee, although when I asked he said it shouldn't make any difference to my recovery, but now it's got me wondering.
Can you explain more fully what you mean by "drifting"?She watched me walking and said my knee was drifting inwards as I walked. This was my problem before surgery and I hoped surgery would correct it and make my knee feel more stable. It did seem that way for the first few weeks and then I had begun to feel it was moving inwards again as I went upstairs.
I think that's probably the answer. Your muscles and your ligaments have to accommodate being sightly different lengths from what they were previously. That could be the cause of the pain, too.Is that just because the muscles and ligaments are used to being that way? I also get pain on the outside of the knee just around where the crease of the knee is, don't know if that's significant.
I think all those exercises are unnecessary and are also partly the cause of your pain. Stop doing them for 3 weeks and see if your knee settles down.No-one mentioned using a ball, but when I told my PT I was having trouble with that exercise she tried a ball, but it was really painful so instead she tied a therapy band round my legs and told me to push out against them and then I could do the hip raises without the pain.
I had no indication there might be any difference between the recovery or that my knee would be more complicated until the registrar mentioned it as I was going into theatre. When I went for my pre-op the nurse said it was a complex procedure, but when I queried it I was told it was just down to a non-routine prosthesis being used and they allowed more theatre time. Maybe I was naive. I assumed a bone on bone knee was just that and surgery would cure it, although obviously there can be complications and I knew that not everyone was happy with the outcome.NeitherIs this something that continues to be a problem with a valgus knee and is it likely to impede recovery or make a difference to how long the new joint lasts?
I do wish doctors wouldn't say things like that. Correct interpretation is that it will be complicated for the surgeon but that doesn't mean it will affect the recovery one iota! It won't make a scrap of difference to your recovery.Each time I saw my OS's registrar he mentioned it was a complicated knee, although when I asked he said it shouldn't make any difference to my recovery, but now it's got me wondering.