TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Sending positive thoughts and a rainbow of healing wishes for your surgery tomorrow.
 
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow, Linda. Since your right knee is having an MUA, you will have to "baby" that as well as your left knee. See if you can elevate and ice both of them.
As a refresher, here is the post-op reading again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Linda, best wishes for tomorrow. I will be praying for a good surgery and great recovery. I'm sure it will be difficult to have a MUA at the same time as your TKR, but hang in there, you know it gets better. I have appreciated having you on this journey with me.
 
Linda, remember that MUA will set back your recovery on that knee. It will traumatized the soft tissue again and create swelling. So don't expect too much of it.
 
I agree with Jennszoo, with a 110 bend why in the world would you want to do a MUA? With you old knee taking over 100% of the work, it's going to swell anyway for a while. Why add the trauma of an unneeded MUA? Your old knee's ROM will improve on it's own.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgeon said they wouldn't do a MUA once I passed 110. I was at 111 last week. Im 8 weeks post op.
 
Linda, sending healing prayers your way! Take it one minute at a time and stay ahead of the pain. You know the drill.....
 
Linda, you will be happy to have them both done. The first week or so is really rough but it will get better. By 3 months I was glad I did both in quick succession! Please follow the mantras both knees will heal together!
 
Day 2 - had LTKR with right MUA. Both hurt but OS thinks I will have more issues with the right. I will be in hospital until tomorrow. They offer no elevation, only rolled towels under the heels. Left knee replacement was injected with a cocktail but PT had me up walking and when I sat back down, after about 30min I wasn't able to do foot pumps on the left. They thought perhaps the cocktail migrated down and affected the nerve. Thankfully it is now back to normal!
Wishing I was home so I could elevate my legs ...swelling will be higher by tomorrow! Right is almost as sore as the left.
Pain is relatively controlled so that is good! Thank you all for your continued positive thoughts!
 
Sending warm thoughts your way Linda. I'm glad the surgery part is over for you and I'm glad your pain is okay right now. Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome back! I hope the time in the hospital goes fast for you so you can get home and get comfortable. Woohoo! You don't have to do this again! :loveshwr: I think I will be so glad when I am finished.
 
Glad to hear it went well! Does an MUA cause a lot of pain? Hope both knees feel good today!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LindaO, so good to hear from you! I'm glad you are able to post. Please ask them for extra pillows and blankets to fold for elevation. Just because they don't offer doesn't mean you shouldn't request them! You know what you need. Continuing to pray for you and send lots of good thoughts!:thumb:
 
@LindaO, Glad surgery went well, you will feel so much better when you get home. Wishing you well, get lots of rest!
 
Glad to see the surgery and MUA is behind you. Darn hospitals, I had the same thing it fortunately only for 1 night and day - no elevation. The nurses are afraid the OS will get a angry if they see the least bit of bend in the knee. Soon you will be home to ice and elevate to your hearts desire And as always, stay ahead of the pain.
 
I'm so glad it's over with for you. Do what you have to, to get those legs elevated. You know the correct way! Hide your legs under the sheet if they say anything!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom