TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Thank you all! @JennyLynne, doing fair but find it difficult to get around due both knees being painful. I will get over and catch up with your journey!
I seem to have a harder time walking now. My left foot seems to turn in a little bit but that could possibly be swelling. Slept deep last night only waking up to the alarm for pain pills then right back out. But on my last alarm I was hurting really badly so must have slept awkward. Currently elevated with ice! Hoping I will be ready to go back to work end of June!
 
Good luck! Working at the end of June is mighty ambitious. Take it slow and easy until then!
 
If you go back to work at the end of June, that will only be about 6 weeks after your second TKR, Linda. That really is early. We normally recommend about 12 weeks, and then a Phased return to work
 
Hi Linda, hope you are doing well and managing your pain. I am curious about why you got a MUA on your knee that was replaced when mine was (April 4th). I am not happy with my ROM at 7 weeks - its about 90 and very hard to ride recumbent bike. After my last TKR I was riding a straight bike by now. I love biking have been riding most of my life. Do you think I should consider at MUA? How is you knee doing that had the MUA?
Thanks and again I hope you are doing well, Marc
 
@sporti9 - hi Marc, MUA was not something I was wanting to do. At 6 weeks I was at 112 degrees flex ion but since I was getting my left TKR, and my OS was not happy with my progress,so he told me he was going to gently manipulate the right while I was under. It definitely moves better but back to trying to continue to work it when the muscles are as sore as the devil! It has really been difficult moving around with both knees sore but this evening was a little better. The decision for MUA should be between you and your OS, so unfortunately I can't advise you on that. Good luck on getting more ROM!

I had a bit of a meltdown today...I think the guilt of my hubby taking care of me for 6 weeks and then starting back at ground zero with him having his own back issues, the constant pain and ache, knowing how independent I am and having to give up that independence for so long... I guess it just got me down and I started crying...my husband was at a loss as for the past 12 years he has never seen me like this and we have been through a lot. After a good cry, a hot shower, and a couple hours in the CPM...nap included...and I do feel better!

We will see how work goes...my FMLA runs out end of June so not sure how that will work out but not going to stress about it.

Thanks for listening...:loveshwr:
 
Thanks for sharing your experience and so sorry it was a rough day. The hardest part has been losing independence and feeling disabled. Sounds like you managed it well and that you and your husband are working through it. My wife was awesome but it was so hard ask for help and I too wanted my independence.
Take good care one day at a time
 
LindaO ~ i understand somewhat how you feel having to be taken care of by your husband. i feel the same way. my hubby works full-time, taking the dog to the office, doing everything for the dog, for me and also picking up granddaughter, then while he was away in the u.k. my son stayed with me for 3 days (taking vacation days) and on the day son left, my sister stayed all morning, then in the afternoon son-in-law stayed with me until hubby arrived home. i went through this 10 years ago with ovarian cancer and 6 months of chemo, having hubby take care of me the first few weeks, driving me to chemo and followups. i've been cancer free every since. :yes!:

we have to learn that this is love and to accept and ask for help when we need it. heaven forbid we might have to do the same with our loved ones. it is very humbling and i also feel guilty. now that i'm more mobile and feeling better, hubby has started with "tough love" lol. tomorrow i'm going to iron his "good" white shirts. he refuses to take them to cleaners lol. i'm glad you feel better. it is a slow process and you've been through a lot. continue to do what's best for your recovery. it won't be long and we'll both be looking back at this.:cheers:
 
Unfortunately, guilt and the blues come along with the recovery of this surgery. I had it bad around the 4th of July. Normally, my roommate and I would celebrate and do something fun, ending with watching the fire works. I felt so guilty because I couldn't do this past year. Then spent the day crying. Then Marilyn started feeling guilty! It was a miserable day! Thank God, those blues went away with articles Josephine sent to me! Those blues you're feeling will disappear before you know it!
 
Hi @LindaO, I'm so sorry you are having a difficult time. We are rather similar and hate to be dependent on someone for most everything. I am at that place where I am getting more freedom and doing things on my own, but two weeks from tomorrow it starts all over again. I feel your pain girl! My husband does deserve a medal as he rarely if ever complains. We are both blessed. I'm just tired of not being normal and scared about doing it all over again.

Meltdowns are okay my friend, just take one day at a time. I'm preaching to myself as well!:flwrysmile:@jaschembra actually encouraged me to start a gratitude journel. On those days when nothing seems right I am writing at least 5 things I am grateful for. One day it was even I was happy I, well you know what we get obsessed about after all the pain med's, hee, hee. . Nobody but a BoneSmarty would see the humor in that!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Early on Celle told me tears were healing. It's OK to cry. This is a difficult surgery and recovery. One minute, one hour, one day at a time. We are blessed to have hubbies who are able to help. I'll pray that tomorrow is better.
 
I had a bit of a meltdown today...I think the guilt of my hubby taking care of me for 6 weeks and then starting back at ground zero with him having his own back issues, the constant pain and ache, knowing how independent I am and having to give up that independence for so long... I guess it just got me down and I started crying...my husband was at a loss as for the past 12 years he has never seen me like this and we have been through a lot.
That's all a very normal reaction.

However, I'm sure you would be happy to look after your husband if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you?

Have a look at this article - it just may help:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
I remember a story from the veterinarian in Wales who wrote books and they were made into television episodes. He felt sorry for a lamb who was writhing in pain from a condition and he couldn't bear to see it in pain, so he gave it a shot of something that would allow it to die peacefully. Upon returning to the same farm to check on his real patient, he noticed a lamb hopping about and inquired if it was a new one. Farmer said twas the strangest thing, That lamb slept for three days solid and fourth day woke up, right as rain and full of energy. It was a lesson to the vet, that a medically induced coma could indeed save an animal's life and eventually it worked the same with people too.
The body fights against the pain, tensing up muscles and not allowing them to relax, and they can't heal unless relaxed.
A friend who was a state policeman had to have back surgery and was toughing it out, not clicking on the med button to offer pain relief. The nurse came in and spared no words. If he continued to play tough guy, he would pull out all the work that had been done on his back! So, being intelligent, he pressed that pain med button every chance he got! He made a good recovery and hands out that pain med advise to anyone that has undergone surgery. Smart man. We called him Uncle Larry:)
The body is complex, but rest and pain control aren't. Proper elevation and ice is also key. I'm learning as I go that this process isn't the same time limit as putting u p with a cold:) Unfortunately.
I listened to the wisdom on this forum and forgot about PT and life got much easier.
Keep repeating the mantras and you will be a wise one too.
S
 
I had a good cry last night... in the shower no less. It felt awful during but kind of cathartic after. Gotta let it out!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne I hope you felt better afterwards? I had another today...I think I am going to have to increase my pain meds as much as I hate having to do that but I think my body has adjusted and now not working as well as they did. I increased them today before PT and felt better. Sure dread the constant nauseous feeling even though I always eat something with them. @Crip I think that was your lesson?
@Celle Of course I would take care of hubby and I don't think he would feel guilty at all! Thank you for reminding me this is a two way street!
Thank you all for your continued prayers! :console2:
 
Don't take pain meds specially for PT, Linda. If you're doing something that causes pain, you need to feel that pain and back off what's causing it. The pain is a warning sign that you shouldn't miss.

If the nausea persists, ask your doctor for a prescription for something, such as Zofran, to prevent it.
 
Just posted on my thread that I'm thinking of asking for Zofran. Nausea makes everything a challenge!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it's a good idea to up your pain meds. I hope your nausea goes away soon though. I remember once the nausea went away for me I finally thought, "okay, now I can do this."

I think it's nice your hubby is taking good care of you. I know mine is tired of doing more than he is used to but I think he is secretly a little proud of himself for always keeping my ice machine cold and ready. I may need to give him some new responsibilities when I no longer need ice. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Linda, as you are no longer a pain med virgin it probably will take a bit more or different timing this go around. Also no two knees are the same. Stay ahead of the pain and rest.
 
@Red's Mom and @mechellec, I think you are right...it is just going to take more to keep me comfortable. Where I was taking 1 hydrocodone previously, now I am needing 1.5 - 2...still within the prescription limits. So guess I will just do what I need to do!
 
I am glad you are taking care of yourself and doing "what you need to do". There is no award for the one who takes the least amount of pain medication, but sometimes we act like there is. I am suspecting that I may not get by with the relatively low doses I used the first time with my second knee and I have already decided that I am going to do what is best forme.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom