TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Linda, if your surgeon postpones your second knee replacement because you haven't reached his over-ambitious demand for flexion, that may not be a bad thing.

Waiting a bit longer would give your right knee a little longer to heal and grow stronger. Heavens, it's not even a month since you had that replacement and he's expecting miracles in flexion already. Talk about over-ambitious!
Waiting would also take some of the pressure off you about achieving ROM. You could let your knee heal on its own agenda, not on some theoretical demand.

There really is no deadline by which time you have to achieve a good ROM, because ROM can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Of course, your surgeon might just have made that threat in an attempt to inspire you to work harder - which is the wrong thing to do.
 
Cele, you are correct! That is why I am not going to worry about it. I am not desperate to get the other done although this is the best time, I know if I don't get it done now, it could be years before I have another opportunity. But if he says no, then as you say I will have time to heal my right knee. But I also think it was meant to be incentive to get the flexion where he wants it. We will just wait and see what the next couple of weeks bring!
 
You can't 'get' your flexion where he wants it unless your knee wants to get there. You can force it there. Just lay back and relax and let it happen.
 
How are you getting on, Linda? @LindaO
We haven't heard from you for a day or two.
 
I am 6 weeks out from my revision to a TKR. My ROM just got to 107 yesterday. The one thing I have learned is we have very little control over our ROM. The more my swelling goes down the more my range goes up. The more active I am the more the swelling goes up and I have less bending.

I was getting very frustrated at the beginning because my ROM was too slow for me - and it was just me - my surgeon and PT have been very happy with my progress. They always say - don't worry!! It will come when your knee is good and ready. There really isn't anything you can do other than slowwww stretching, walking short distances and "rest, ice and elevating". I'm sooooo tired of that phrase but it's actually true!
 
We have increased PT to 3 times a week for the next two weeks but after working it, the knee swells up, which as you say, decreases the ROM! Even my home exercises has caused it to swell some. Trying to keep it elevated and iced still, so we will see where we get!
 
Your ROM will come without exercises. You knee needs to heal first. If you're swelling, then it's not good for your knee.
 
Hi LindaO, I was just checking to see how you are doing and if your second surgery is on track? I hope you are doing okay.
 
Hi betticu! I received a call yesterday evening asking if I wanted to move my surgery up to the 16th! I asked if the OS was aware and they said yes, so I am going in Friday for lab work and Monday have pre-op and post-op review. If he is ok with where I am on the right knee, which is only 107* flexion, I will have the left TKR on Tuesday morning! I am not putting all my faith into it as I fear he will still cancel it if he doesn't like where I am with the right knee...so I guess I will see on Monday! Thank you for your support! June will be here before you know it and you will have that second knee done!
 
Wow! How do,you feel about your right knee taking over full time duty? Hard for me to imagine right now, bc I'm only 3 weeks out.
 
I think 107 flex is enough to do what you need to do. What about the strength in your new knee? That's what scares me about having my other one done.
 
Good luck! I'm 7 weeks out from my revision on my right and wouldn't even be able to entertain the thought of having my left done right now. I still use a cane and walk with a limp if I'm not using it. I haven't even discussed having one left one done at all.
 
Best wishes for the 16th. I don't really understand your surgeon's obsession with reaching a certain ROM before he does the second knee. After all, some people have both knees done on the same day and others have them done only a couple of days apart.
 
I think my OS just wants to make sure my right knee will hold up to supporting me with the left one down. Made good progress in PT getting to 111* so that is good. I was off my walker at 2 weeks and really haven't needed a cane although I carry it with me just in case. My right is is good but still need to strengthen it so will continue to work on that.
I have learned a lot with the right knee so will do things a little different with the left. Just small things like elevating on the couch instead of the recliner... I couldn't get my knee high enough in the recliner. Also working on the extension early on. I also bought a Cold therapy system and hope that will help the swelling and making sure the CPM is fitted correctly.
If OS agrees to do the left, I will start a new thread for the left...will let y'all know on Monday!
 
Linda best of luck on Mon. Let us know what the OS decides.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best of luck, Linda. I'm not going to have my right done until August 1, and I don't know if I would rather be doing it quickly like you to get it all over with, or a little later like I am, with the resultant worrying :) You sound good, your ROM sounds good to me, and I'm glad you may be able to get done soon and get on with your happy new knee life. Looking forward to being around to help with your next journey.
 
I'm hoping to go back to work end of September which will be about 6 months and then work for about 5-6 months then take another leave and have my left done which will be about a year in between.

Hopefully by then my husband will have forgotten all my crying and complaining and agree to help me again:good-bad:
 
So brave to be going back LindaO, still think I'm traumatised from those first few days.
Do you think you are ready for the earlier operation?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sending positive thoughts for your second surgery! Sounds like you're ready for it.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom