TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Hi @LindaO, it's good to see you posting. You are right, I think it will take a bit more meds to stay comfortable. You are still in what I called those dark days. I think you are Day 8, but better days are coming! Take care of yourself!
 
Increasing my meds has helped a lot but now suddenly I seem to be experiencing a different type of pain...it is extremely tender to touch around the knee...even light touch! Makes me wonder if this is the nerve pain I have heard about? Also after my M U A, my sciatica was gone but now coming back in leaps and bounds on both sides...possibly gait? I think it will be nice to get off this roller coaster ride...someday....
 
It is nothing unusual for different areas to hurt at different times. It's like they want an equal opportunity to hurt! Just ice, and it should get better. I don't know if it's nerve pain or not. My nerve pain was lightning bolts shooting through my knee every so often. I think back then we called them 'zingers'. My knee is still tender all around it, but that might be do to it's history because the old knee is tender to the touch, too.
 
Oh my this journey is convoluted isn't it? Six months out and I'm a bit sore and stiff from my springtime gardening. Hang in there Linda. You know it will get better.
 
My inner knee was so tender. Like a sunburn. My PT encouraged me to rub it with a cloth or lotion bc the skin was just overreacting due to the nerve damage. The desensitization has definitely helped. Even though in the beginning, just rubbing a soft cloth on it might as well be broken glass. So weird.
 
That is a good idea! I rub my knees all the time but will try the desensitizing.
@Red'a Mom, so nice that you can get out and do some gardening! It will be a big step to get to that point...saying that, my cousin that lives a couple blocks from me called and said they killed a big rattlesnake in their yard this morning so y'all be watchful working in the yards!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT went well with right flexion at 125 and left flexion at 115! Hope the OS will be happy with that although I know he will want left at 120 so still need to work on that!
 
wowza, great results for you at physio today. try not to overdo it working on the left flexion.
 
@LindaO, you've really been through the wringer! Wishing you the best in recovery and hoping you'll be discharged to home very soon! Like you, I had the same situation with the rolled towel under the ankles; ugh! The first thing I did when I got home was grab the ice and elevate. I know you will as well. Hang in there!
 
Linda, those stats are amazing!!! Way to go! Your surgery buddy can't touch those numbers [emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, just catching up on you. I went to Fl to see my Mom this weekend before my next surgery so haven't been on here much. I don't know if you remembered but I had a terrible flair with my back after my L knee that postponed the R. I ended up having to get an epidural for my back. I do have dome herniated disks and with my gait being off as well as sitting funny it caused a terrible problems. This is nothing like the zingers we get from nerves growing back. My back hurt worse than my knee a good part of the time. Just keep that in the back of your mind that you may need yo get your back looked at. The epidural helped a lot but I am also seeing a neuro muscular massage therapist each week for a massage. It is helping keep vertebrae where they belong and not pinching the nerve root. It's good to hear an update on you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Linda, your numbers are Great! I can't imagine your doctor not being happy about them. Keep doing what you're doing :wow:
 
PT went well with right flexion at 125 and left flexion at 115! Hope the OS will be happy with that although I know he will want left at 120 so still need to work on that!
Goodness me! Don't work at it. Just let it happen.

It's only just over 2 weeks since you had the left knee replaced. If your surgeon isn't happy, that's just too bad. Just tell him you're sure it's going to get there.
You have amazing ROM for so early in recovery and you have a whole year for it to continue to improve. There's no need to rush, or to try to meet any deadline:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Whatever you do, don't rush into lots of exercise in an effort to get more ROM. That's a sure way of slowing down progress.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
 
Celle just told you exactly what I was going to write. You can't work to get your ROM to increase. You can only work to make it decrease! Just do your normal daytime activities and it'll come. If your OS is not happy, tough, it's not his knee, it's yours! It will continue to improve on it's time frame!
 
Thanks everyone...so sad to admit that I hate letting anyone down, whether my OS or my therapist. I have been pushing it but I am ok with where I am at the moment so will let my knees take a break and go with what we have now. Thanks for all of your support and great advice!
 
My daughter and her family are coming to stay with me for a couple of days! She lives in VA but traveling around to see family! Since hubby is away on business this week, Brandy will take me for my follow up and bandage off. I also get to see my 14yr old twin grand babies! (They will always be my babies!) My son in law likes to cook so I will turn the kitchen over to him! :egypdance:
So I am excited to see them and ready to get this bandage off! :happydance::happyfeet:
 
That's great you daughter can come! Enjoy your visit and the grandkids. 14 year old twins, wow boys or girls? Don't over do it but have lots of fun!
 
That sounds wonderful!

I've told my women friends I'd rather they come see me when I'm back home than here in hospital.
Good to have company to distract oneself away from pain. ( IMO)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom