TKR LindaO's second verse - Both Knees Done Now<

Sounds like a perfect visit... your grandkids and a chef! Enjoy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you! @becticu twins are boy and girl..funny thing is they don't look like brother and sister much less twins! Zach has a light complexion, straight red hair with green eyes; Lili is more of an olive complexion, curly dark brown hair with brown eyes! So strange but love them dearly! (I have a total of 11 grandchildren but none live close to me ☹️)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting to have your visitors coming! I'm sure so grandkids will be a huge uplifter for you! Please be sure to let your family do the work, and not you! I know it's hard for us girls to let someone take over and help us, but you need to do just that!
 
How wonderful for you. It is so exciting to see the grandkids that you don't get to see all the time. And what a blessing that you get a cook too. Enjoy!
 
Wow, Linda, how could anyone possibly be unhappy with such amazing ROM numbers? They couldn't, but the bottom line is whether or not you are happy. I certainly would be!

Enjoy your family visit and let them all wait on you hand and foot!:SUNsmile:
 
Hope you have a wonderful time with your grandchildren. That's great that you have so many! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Linda, happy to hear you are doing well. Enjoy your visit with your daughter and grandchildren.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:sad: Sad that my daughter and family had to leave today but I really enjoyed having them for a few days! Although they did all the work, I still over did being up too much but I couldn't turn my grandson down when he wanted to play Yahtzee! Longest I have had the knees down but it was worth it!

Had my follow up with OS on Tuesday and he was ok with things but said I needed to push, push, push because what I get from 8-10 weeks is probably all I will get! Things get confusing when we hear so many different opinions but I guess I will do what I can do, and that's all I can do! My OS is relatively young so makes me wonder how each generation is taught or is his opinion based on results of his patients? Nevertheless he is a wonderful surgeon and did a fantastic job taking in my personal needs to ensure he gave me the best knees for my best benefit! :dubious:
 
When I saw my ortho's new PA for Visco shots in my left knee he asked about my TKR. I gave him a brief low down on everything that happened. He was very surprised at how I was sitting on the exam tabl with my RTKR swinging and said, "it looks like you have great ROM with being immobile for so long. Can I see the knee?" He took a look and began playing with it, bending it etc. and again voiced his amazement. I looked at him and said, "You know the timeline is a myth, right?" He just looked at me and smiled saying, "they get crazy with that deadline".

I was at 109 when I left PT. I have no idea what it is now, but the PA seemed happy and I can walk a few miles, ride 8 miles on my exercise bike and swim 20 laps. I can't ask for much more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LindaO, it sounds like you had a lovely time with family and yes, playing Yahtzee with the leg down was worth it! That's what I call a great-grandmother.:SUNsmile:

I can't help but wonder if these surgeons are just afraid we will slack-off with what we need to do, especially in a case like yours where an MUA was done? In other words, he just doesn't want you to feel you are *out of the woods,* yet? I've no idea, but as you stated, all you can do is the best you can do. Seems to me you're already doing that!
 
It is confusing to hear and read of so many different opinions on knees. In the long run, I believe we each carve our own path because we know our own bodies the best. We live with our individual bodily responses. No one else, even others who have had a TKR, can walk in your shoes. Trust your gut.:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like a great day with your daughter and your grandchildren! I agree with you on all the different advice. I was sitting at pt yesterday by a young gal who was doing similar exercises as me. I asked her if she had a knee replacement and she said that she had two years ago but she never did any exercises and she can't bend it well. Now she's going to PT for help. Hearing (seeing) things like this make me nervous but my gut is to follow what we learn here.
 
asked her if she had a knee replacement and she said that she had two years ago but she never did any exercises and she can't bend it well

@mechellec following the bonesmart way and not exercising at all are two different things. You have to move and use your knee. I agree that we know our bodies best and that recovery is different for each of us. If we do what we can and listen to our bodies, we will usually do well.
 
Linda, glad you had a good visit. I agree that yatzee with the grands is worth a bit of soreness. Now give yourself permission to rest up.
 
I agree with you all and especially "no PT doesn't mean no exercising "! That is a very important thing to remember!
Although we shouldn't compare ourselves with other knees, I feel we should take note of the ones who have not had good results and the reason behind it so we don't end up in the same boat.
I did decide to skip PT today since I over did it...first one I missed but it was sort of liberating to do it! :heehee:
 
Yes! BS doesn't mean no moving or no bending. The (yes here it is again, no eye rolling :wink:) Activity progression for TKRs calls for walking up to 20 minutes at one point. That's certainly not exercising, it just not using weights or resistance. Isn't walking what we all want to be able to do? :yes:
 
Well after PT on Monday, I was so sore I could hardly move the next day! The therapist said I may could be discharged but he would wait until my next OS appt. I thought about it and decided today would be my last day. I talked to him and he asked me to call OS to make sure it was ok and I did receive the ok! So left flexion was 124 and right was 126! I will take that and no more PT visits!! I know I will need to continue home exercise to continue to build my quads but that is no issue! What a nice relief! I had gotten to where I dreaded going so nice to know I won't have to!!
 
Hi @LindaO, I think you were writing on my page as I was writing an update. It sounds like you are doing wonderful and I am so happy for you. Grandkids are always a plus too! It was good to hear from you.
 
Yay! You are over that PT hurdle now! It's all good from now on, as long as you don't overdo!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom