Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Also, I have an extremely difficult time doing heel slides lying down? I can do them sitting ok, but lying on my back is excruciating! I am 12 days out from Surgery ? Does this sound bad? I know it is early and we are not supposed to compare but....seems like I had better extension and ROM a few days after surgery than I do now? One PT said I should have 0 extention at 2 weeks and 90 ROM at 3 months?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@lene'

Yay for going home!! You are doing so well!! I could never do heel slides as well laying down as I could sitting.

Jen
 
So, don't do the heel slides lying down. You only need to do them one way; choose the way that doesn't hurt.

Every knee is different, so try not to compare these new knee with anyone else's experience. These new knees are on their own journey and will do things on their own schedule - not the schedule that your surgeon sets, and not the schedule that a PT suggests.

It's not at all unusual to lose a bit of ROM when you come home. Probably you are doing a little more than when in hospital. The ROM will return.

Knee bending (flexion) and straightening (extension) can continue to improve for as long as a year after a knee replacement, so there's no need to set targets or worry if you don't meet a PT's expectations. There is no "window of opportunity" within which you have to achieve a certain Range of Motion (ROM).
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's still such early days in your recovery. For now, concentrate on resting, icing, elevating and taking your medications on schedule. You only need to do very little exercise, and remember not to do anything that hurts.
 
Once you get home and can ice/elevate you'll see a decrease in swelling, as long as you don't overdo it.
 
:yes!: Great news that you are ready to go home! Raising your chair a good idea. You also might want a raised toilet seat at home if you have low toilets.
 
So I am back home now, getting in the car was easy, the ride home slightly uncomfortable. Got home and sat downstairs for an hour then made the journey up the 15 steps to our apartment. It was uncomfortable but doable!!! Yeah!!
Got the riser on the toilet and all is right with the world right now! It was a beautiful day here sunny, 80 degrees and the hills were oh so colorful! Hubby went back out for a ride tonight, I wish I could have gone but just don't want to push it! Tired now I need a nap!
Blessings
Lene'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you are home. Sleep whenever you can and set your alarm to take your pain meds around the clock.
 
Hooray for being home! One suggestion - if they did change you back to norcos, keep on top of the mirilax and senokots, or whatever you use for constipation. I think I suffered more from that than from knee pain. Glad you can settle in, sleep, and elevate and ice to your heart's content.
 
@greatlakes yes, the norcos are worse for the constipation than the Percocet. So far, I have been able to handle the change...but have to be diligent.
Kind of had a rough night, achy and stiff even with the pain meds. Slept a bunch today, and using my ice machine almost constantly. Did a few laps around the apartment but pretty tired now again... I think sleeping is good, promotes healing I hope! Trying not to get discouraged but can feel a little of the depression trying to settle in... I haven't seen my dogs to pet them in two weeks! Hoping tomorrow I can make a walk to outside kennel to see them, but only if I am not too tired! I don't want to push it even though I miss them bunches! Starting to understand what everyone calls the dark days!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sleep has much as you can. Be careful with too long of a walk, remember you'll have to walk back home.
 
I can't imagine how difficult it is, doing both at once. It might come a little later than with only one knee, but the time does come when you realize that under all that shocked soft tissue is a brand-new knee, and that it's flexing, and extending, and that you can walk on it without feeling that horrible grinding bone on bone pain. I think that was the end of my dark days. All the ups and downs are worth it from that day on. I hope it comes for you soon! But it will come.
 
Yes, rest as much as you can. Seeing your dogs might be just the ticket, but going back down the stairs and the walk might not be worth it so early. Can your hubby bring them to you for a little while?


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Lene, you are still so very early in recovery that sleep, elevation and ice is all you should do and want to do for the next few weeks. It sounds as if you are on the right track with walks around the house and resting. Are you bringing your dogs home with you?
 
I am trying to lay low, rest, ice, elevate! We had major rain here last night so no trips out to see the dogs today. They are here at our place but live outside in an outside kennel run, with an inside compartment from the weather. We have closed circuit tv so I can see them on the computer but not the same as in person. I will wait a while longer till I feel stronger. Good news is my bend was better today... hope it is sustainable! Took my first shower since coming home...heaven!! Now time for a nap![emoji42]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So hubby brought the dogs in to see me today. They were good and we were all happy to see each other. I did make a trip downstairs and took a ride with my husband just to get out some. It is still a little uncomfortable riding in the car but not unbearable. We grabbed some take out for dinner then came back upstairs and ate and napped. Now I am icing with my kitty. Not really having too much pain, taking 1 Norco every 4 hours but think I could go six hours during the day. Not doing much but resting, elevating and icing. A few heel slides and knee bends and the stairs up and down once a day. I guess that's enough for just two weeks out.
Still quite tired but just trying to listen to my body and go accordingly!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@lene'
It sounds like you are doing so well! I didnt leave my house to do anything until 3+ weeks after surgery, so excellent for you getting out and about already! Especially with bilateral knees!

What about this rain? My sister measured 4 inches in her rain gauge as of last night! I love the cooler temps, but I'd rather have snow than rain!!

Keep on keepin' on!!

Jen
 
Glad you saw your pups and got out a bit. Sounds like you're doing just fine!
 
Not doing much but resting, elevating and icing. A few heel slides and knee bends and the stairs up and down once a day. I guess that's enough for just two weeks out.
You could do even less! I did none at all for either of my knees!
 
So had sort of a difficult night, tried sleeping in my recliner but my back started hurting bad so got in regular bed. Felt better. Knees don't feel bad, and even forgot a couple of doses of my pain meds, but am back on schedule now. Have scaled back to 1 Norco every 4-6 hours depending on how I feel. Icing and elevating most of time. I went to Mall with hubby and walked for about 10 min. rested and then walked back to car. Came home up the stairs and now resting and icing again. Don't feel comfortable without the walker though but really trying to walk heel toe and not limp. I see my GP tomorrow, and my OS on Tuesday. I think my bend has improved some since coming home, hubby says so too. But I don't think I am near 90 yet. Supposed to start outpatient PT on Wed. That makes me nervous...but we shall see how it goes. Thanks to all of you for your support!!
Jen, that rain was something...our creek which has been dry all summer, filled to the brim in two days!!
Blessings,
Lene'
 
Don't rush to ditch the walker! My PT encouraged me to keep it to improve gait and prevent limp.

Isn't ice amazing? I'm wrapped in my electric warming shawl with a hoody on my top and both legs on ice right now :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom