Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Why do they not want me to elevate my legs?? They want me to sleep with them down or straight? I am only allowed ice every 20 min. 20 on/20 off?
After my BTKR, they did not really want me to elevate my legs in the hospital, too. I did get to ice for longer periods.

When I did get home, the at-home PT told me to elevate and to ice as long as I wanted to as long as I put a cloth between my skin and the ice.
 
I'm saying prayers for your comfort. I'm sorry it's bad right now. When you get home you can fire up those 2 ice machines and elevate. I don't understand the ice and elevation limitations -- Somone here with more experience can maybe give the rationale. For me, I iced continuously except for short walks every 1-2 hours. I still elevate when I'm sitting any length of time and I'm at 7 weeks.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Well, I ice as much as they let me, but they lock the bottom of the bed so it does not raise when I am sleeping. I so want to put my legs up on a stack of pillows and use my ice machines but that will come after I get home I guess. They are going to take my staples out today maybe that will help slightly with the bending? I think I am doing good on my extention, since I feel they go pretty straight! But the bend, not so much....☹️☹️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They didn't advocate a lot of elevating in the hospital either. One of the nurses said my knee had to be kept straight because most people have trouble stretching it out. I had an extra pillow and I put that under my leg, and then I raised the bottom of the bed as much as was comfortable. Nobody made me undo it either. I had to ask for ice changes, but they generally complied.

Good luck!!

Jen
 
You're right, @lene' , the bend will come. The positive side is your extension will be good. Just hold on till you get home and you can elevate/ice as much as possible. How are the stairs going?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Omg! Still waiting for insurance approval to go to PT rehab. Had my bags packed, signed the discharge papers, the wheel chair arrived and suddenly they decide I DON'T have approval and now here I sit!!!
Yikes...
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So did not get moved to rehab till today. Had a BAD morning, got up ok, went to bath to clean up and put on clothes, by the time I got out right knee was swelling at an alarming rate. It got HUGE in a matter of minuets! Pain level to 10 and beyond! Had to wait 40 min for pain meds. Finally got pain down to 7 35 min after that. Moved me to rehab an hour later!
Am amazed It could get so bad so fast! Now had to have enema because no bm in two days, Yikes, sorry nbonesmarties...BAD DAY!
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear of your very bad day. Once you are settled into rehab it should get better and better. Make sure your pain management is well established.
 
Keep on top of your pain meds. Will the rehab let you ice and elevate?
 
They will let me ice, not much to elevate with. They wanted to lock the bottom of bed straight but I begged them not too. Trying to stay on top of pain meds, but they couldn't find the nurse and just went over by a half hour! I was yelling, pain at 8. Wow hope it gets better soon!
Can't eat, can't GO, already had an enema, getting mg citrate after dinner.. wow I can't believe today! So sorry to sound like a whiner!
Could someone add my surgery date of 10/5/16 to my signature? Can't do it with phone??????


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds as if you're going to need to make it clear that you need your pain medications on a regular schedule.
Since it took so long to find a nurse, I suggest you ring for your meds at least 15 minutes before they are due.

As for the constipation, in spite of doing everything in this article - Constipation and stool softeners - I still had to ask my doctor for an aperient, which I needed to take regularly for as long as I was on the heavy-duty narcotics. Can you ask to have something prescribed for you?

I have my doubts about the benefits of going to a rehab unit. So often, the care seems to be not what is needed for recovery from a knee replacement.
Concentrate on learning how to negotiate stairs and then you can ask to be discharged home, where you will be able to control what happens to you.
 
Often traveling so soon after surgery can be difficult and painful. I was fortunate that my rehab was just a short walk (wheel) down the hall, but there was still an issue getting my meds on time because of switching me over in their computer system. They took me to PT with no pain meds. I refused to do anything until I had the oxycodone. Fifteen minutes after my refusal a nurse was running down the hall to the PT room, my meds and water in hand. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate, don't be afraid to speak up for yourself or ring that bell to get your meds.

Set your phone for 15-30 minutes before you need your meds and ask then. In my rehab they wrote the time I was allowed my next meds on the whiteboard so I always asked before the allowed time, but often my favorite nurse would pop his head to see how I was and ask what I needed. Most of us have issues with constipation. My rehab nurse suggested Miralax, one dose in a glass of water did the trick. I'm sure they have some on hand, must ask for a dose in a glass of water.
 
@lene'

I'm so sorry to hear about the day you had. Your baby knees are still so new AND you had both of them done!! I just hope they take good care of you while you're there. I agree that you should ask for your meds 15-30 minutes before they are due. Make sure the nurses know!! I told them up front to wake me up for my pain meds, no matter what. I hope the poop fairy visits you soon! I can't believe you had an enema already. They pumped me full of miralax, colace, and prunes for 2 days before I went. Good luck either way!

Thinking of you!

Jen
 
Well, so far having a better day today. Biggest change is rehab dr switched me over to Percocet from Vicodin... I finally feel like my pain is now down to a 3-5 from a 7-9. Hoping that makes a big difference. Took care of the constipation too so all set on that front!
Had my first PT session no pushing shoving or pain. Did the stairs too! Have a -9 extension and ROM in the 50's.
One thing though is if you are out of bed, you are in a wheel chair, not a recliner like at hospital, wheel chair is very uncomfortable!
Did not get much sleep so looking forward to nap after lunch! Can't believe surgery was a week ago today!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was only in the wheel chair for traveling to PT or OT, the rest of the time I stayed in bed. My second go round I was so uncomfortable they did bring a recliner into the room for me. They may have some around, you just need to ask.
 
@lene'

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to be in a wheelchair all that long. Hopefully they can find a recliner for you. It definitely made it easier to sit in the hospital. It sounds like you are doing great! Your extension is amazing for just one week! I'm really happy to hear that your pain is under better control. That's half the battle!

Jen
 
Thanks Jen, yes the change in meds I think will be great! Pain levels much reduced from yesterday!
Did PT today no real problems but have been having these sharp twinges, pop up out of the blue? I thought on someone else's thread they referred to them as "zingers"?? Maybe they are the nerves healing?
Only getting them in one leg for now. Hope they don't last too long!
Blessings,
Lene'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi bonesmarties, today was a better day with the new pain meds. Levels much better than they have been. PT was tough today though.. both legs still swollen, left is better than right. First session went ok, walked about 200 feet to PT room did heel slides sitting in chair, ankle pumps, standing at s table and getting up and down from low chair. Back to my room for lunch, then back to PT in an hour for more of the same. However, had to lay on table while PT gently did heel slides for me and quad sets too. It was pretty painful. My rom is only in the 50's and I am one week into the bilateral thing. Heel slides laying down are real tough, sitting is better. Just wish I knew if this was good or if I should be doing better? I really have lots of swelling but I started elevating last night and doing more tonight!
Part of the problem is they have this "rule" that in the morning everyone has to get up and sit in the damn wheel chair! It is so uncomfortable! After 15 min I want OUT! They said this was a rehab floor for hips and knees but not too many folks under 80 in here!?!
I do love the floor medical dr though, she is nice and smart and today said the knees will heal when they heal and patience is required.. !
I am trying... just don't yet understand the. A lance between too much and too little!
Blessings...Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
After my revision the hospital I was in would not let me elevate my leg and wanted me to sit in a chair with my leg down after surgery. I was never so happy to get home and elevate my knee and use my ice machine to bring the swelling down. It was only then that I was able to start being able to bend my knee. You might want to leave as soon as you feel you can make it into your apartment. You will be much more comfortable there.
 
It just doesn't seem to make any medical sense to sit with your leg down in a chair/wheelchair! The fluid will just accumulate in the tissues of the lower leg. Strange idea.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom