Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Maybe you could talk to the doctor about a more comfortable way to sit, or maybe even the therapists. It is crazy that they want you to sit in a wheelchair with your leg hanging down. The rehab facility where I spent two weeks had a comfy recliner for me to sit in and I was able to ice and elevate around the clock. It sounds like they are treating you more like a nursing home patient than someone recovering from knee surgery.
 
@Ronsgirl, you are absolutely right, I got stubborn this morning and said No! Not sitting in the wheel chair!! Back on bed, icing and elevating! This is where I will be unless I am at OT or PT. Getting a little anxious to go home now, just worried about the pain control. I can have Percocet while I am here but have to go back to Vicodin when I leave. Percocet keeps me in the 4-6 pain range but Vicodin only in 6-8 range. We shall see how the next couple days go.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am glad you stood up for yourself. Way to go!! I know the few times I had to sit in a wheel chair to be transported somewhere I was miserable. Are you able to ice regularly? That helped me a lot with the pain.
 
When I was in rehab and occasionally used the wheelchair, I would just put the leg rests straight out. Better than letting them hang down. You are in control, do not let them intimidate you. They may get irritated at you, threaten you with telling the doctor, or wore yet, saying the insurance company will stop paying for rehab. But, as my mama always said, they can't eat you! You are your own advocate, hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
*worse yet

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Why did they want you in a wheelchair? The bed is the best place for you, legs at least up and you can get some sleep which is hard to do in a wheelchair. When I was ready to head home (about the 2-3 day) I asked PT what I needed to do to be released, they said climb the 13 stairs. So although they had a smaller staircase I would go up/down until I reached 13. They also worked with me on using the walker on curbs and around the house.
How are the stairs going? Let the doc know that Vixoden isn't cutting your pain, he can prescribe something different.
 
Hi 'Lene. I'm SO glad you stuck up for yourself about the wheelchair . I'm in bed with legs elevated right now -- just sitting in a chair for a bath made my knee hurt. I can't imagine sitting with it down for long.

For sure tell the doc that the vicodan does not get your pain to acceptable level. Adequate pain control is a patient right. I have learned to speak up about pain -- there is no gold star for pushing thru pain when meds are available to get it controlled.

Saying comfort prayers for you right now.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thank you all for your encouragement. I have taken the "bull by the horns" starting this morning. I was up most of the night dealing with muscle spasms in my right leg, at 6am they switched on the light and said time to get up in the chair. I said "Nope" not getting up till 7am, then when I do I am showering and getting back in bed! Simple as that. And that was all it took!
I did 12 steps at PT this morning! Hurray! I was tired but it was not that big of a deal! Had much more flexation today because I iced and elevated all night! Swelling was down in both legs. So it was better! Have another PT session this afternoon, gonna rest, ice and elevate till then! I will update later!
Blessings,
Lene'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am glad you were able to stand up for yourself and do what is best for you. Maybe a muscle relaxer would help with the muscle cramps.
 
Let the doc know that Vicoden isn't cutting your pain, he can prescribe something different.
I agree with KarriB. You will need to have your pain controlled properly at home. Since Vicodin doesn't work for you, insist on having something different prescribed. Since Percocet works for you, ask if you can have that instead - even though a pain range of 4-6 still sounds a little high to me.

Well done on sticking up for yourself and getting the care that you need. Sitting up in a wheelchair is ridiculous, especially starting at 6 in the morning. Wheelchairs are for transportation, not sitting around in.

Well done on managing the stairs, too. It sounds as if you are ready to go home. Get that medication fixed first, though.
 
:yes!: Way to lay down the law! Tomorrow morning tell them the same thing if they try to put you in the chair. The bed is so much better!

Sometimes you have to let them know you're ready, so if the stairs weren't too difficult let them know you feel prepared. But have a conversation about pain control and leg cramps before leaving.
 
Good for you @lene' !

I'm always amazed at how just saying no and sticking up for yourself can be perceived as a negative! So glad you spoke up and how dare they make you do something that is counter-productive to healing.

You go on with your bad self and get home soon!
Thinking of you,
Jen
 
Yes, standing up for myself is working much better. I did get something for the muscle cramps, it helped some but I still could feel a few just before getting up this morning. I keep getting these real sharp stabbing Pinson the bottom of knee on front/ inside. They come and go, but so sharp it makes me cry out! I got them once in a while before surgery, I am thinking pinched nerve or healing nerve?
Was able to do 12 steps twice yesterday at pt. still having trouble with my bend still only in 50-60 range. some swelling on outside guess there is more inside I can not see! Otherwise doing the mantra, rest, ice, elevate!!!
 
Yes, it's pain from nerves that are trying to connect. They're tiny electric shocks. We call them zingers.

A bend of 50-60 is OK right now. It will improve as your knees heal and swelling goes down.

Did you manage to sort out your pain relief for discharge?
 
@Celle, I hope to speak to my OS office on Monday to see if we can switch over from the Vicodin to the Percocet? The switch was made by the rehab dr, so not sure what the OS office will say about it! Also may need the muscle relaxers for the spasms also. No one is available on weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So they are going to let me leave rehab tomorrow. I am able to transfer from bed to chair, to toilet with no help. The stairs that I thought would be difficult have proved more tireing than difficult. I am confident I can get up into my apartment with minimal problems and down too albeit both ways slowly. I am having a difficult time getting up from low chairs as I just don't have 90 ROM yet. Going to look into a lift chair possibly or putting my recliner up on a skid for more lift. I do well if I have arms to push up from. Hopefully as I get better ROM it will all get easier!! I have been feeling stronger in the last couple days too! I walked outside today with PT the fresh air was great!
I am glad I came to rehab, I would not have done so well if I hadn't! Hats off to all those that go directly home!!
Blessings,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
All sounds well. Yes, a lift chair or skid for the chair is a good idea. Low chairs are difficult to get up from. Enjoy being home, in your own routine?
 
Going home! :happydance: If possible have your husband at the rehab when they go over Meds etc. with you. They'll probably give all to you in writing as well. Most importantly, be sure that your pain Meds are timed correctly for leaving. You don't want to be on the back end of your Meds as you're leaving, try to have a fresh pain pill in you for the drive home.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom