Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Hello again bonesmarties! It has been a long time since I posted. Things HAD been going along quite well, but now I have hit a bump in the road. For the past few months, I have been having pain and stiffness in my right knee. I have been back to my surgeon twice, xrays of both knees and knee caps. They say nothing is wrong with the implant. The pain and stiffness occurs more when I sit for a period of time and is significant when I make weight bearing, slight bends! so bending to pick something off the floor, or trying to move from the gas pedal on the car to the brake...pain is across the front right at the knee cap? The surgeon has suggested physical therapy...but I am reluctant without knowing if that will make it worse? I think I may have hurt it during the winter months when I was doing some stretches for a plantar facitis problem. Again, just here looking for some ideas and support? Hoping I am not heading for some type of revision.
 
I think I may have hurt it during the winter months when I was doing some stretches for a plantar facitis problem.
Interesting. I was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, on my non operated leg, and I did a few stretches that turned out to be more aggressive than needed, and I did something to my knee on that leg.

We just can’t win, can we! :blackcloud:

I hope your knee settles down.
 
The surgeon has suggested physical therapy...but I am reluctant without knowing if that will make it worse?
I agree with you. PT could make it worse. Maybe you could try one or two sessions and see how it reacts. Have you tried icing and elevating?
 
Hello again, sistersinhim...Yes, when it is really bad I do elevate and ice. It is weird, I can bend and straighten just fine, but lifting the leg using my quad muscle makes my knee, right at the knee cap hurt. Almost like a pulling feeling on the knee cap.....ouch! Someone mentioned a possible impingment in that area? I am really at a loss and the surgeon just tells me everything looks fine... it is discouraging.
 
I can still do some things that will make that area hurt, too. My knee is also very tender all around it. Is yours? My PA also says everything is fine. Have you done anything different to aggravate your knee? I find mine is worse that night and the next day after doing a lot of yard work. Too bad, it has to be done!
 
Yes, it can be tender to press on it at times, also s you stated it is worse at night. The difference is though that if I am up and moving and physically working, it isn't as bad as when I have to sit at my desk for my job hours at a time. I just found out that I may be able to get my employer to pay for a stand-up desk. I am going to try that and see if it makes a difference. And weird as it may sound, when the weather changes to stormy, I still feel like I have arthritis in both knees!! I am also starting to experience some pain in my hip now, but I am REALLY trying to be in denial about that! D@mn it is tough getting older!!! :yikes:
 
How are you doing now I've had a similar thing in my first knee early on. Now at the 8-month mark it seems to be coming back and I just started having some hip discomfort. My second knee is four and a half months out and is having the same issue. It is like under pressure the patella is being jammed into the implant. My patellas are completely my own. I seem to suddenly be getting stiffer on both sides. I am assuming perhaps I'm doing too much because it is bilateral. I too have to sit at a desk a lot and of course this makes things worse. I just seem to be going in the wrong direction recently. I'm about to go on holiday and we'll be able to really lay off my knees. I suspect in my efforts to loosen them up and strengthen them I might be overdoing it even though one of them is 8 months out. It is frustrating as things were generally going in the right direction up until now.
 
OMG, I just resurrected this thread from 3years ago so here is an update. 98% of my days I don't even think about my knees...just like the originals before the bone on bone...Except...riding in the car! Still the right knee gets stiff both riding and driving..forget the Surgeon he can not tell me why...other than that everything seems fine. I gained some weight over the Pandemic, but have now lost almost 40 lbs since New Years. The knees could feel the difference though! But have been on the treadmill and riding bike and feeling lots better. Hope everyone is coming along well in their journey!
 
Thanks for checking in with that update :wave:

I‘m sorry that one knee still gets stiff but glad all else is well. Does it really bother you, or is it manageable that you’re “ok” enough with it?
 
It irritates me, because I don't know why? I have not taken many long distance car rides( 6 or 7 hours) tops, When I do I have to take anti-inflammatories. And have to stop and get out and walk it off. But I am grateful the bone on bone pain is gone and I am living normally again.
Interestingly, since I had bilateral replacement two different surgeons worked on each knee...Maybe one did a better job than the other? Or my other thought was maybe the right replacement is bigger??? Or maybe there is some scar tissue though my flexation is great!
 
Interestingly, since I had bilateral replacement two different surgeons worked on each knee...Maybe one did a better job than the other?
Very interesting!

I have a partial that didn’t turn out well. 2 second opinions found nothing to fix. I’ve caused myself some stress trying to figure out what the discomfort might be. Though uncomfortable, it’s manageable enough, and I’m thankful it’s lasted 5 years at this point.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom