Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

So they moved me to ortho floor last night, got me up bright and early for a walk down the hall. OS in this morning said they are not sure about if I will go to rehab, yet the nurses say they are transferring me to rehab hospital tomorrow?? No one seems to be on the same page...! Have not had a visit from poop fairy yet, but haven't eaten much either. May have to ask for prunes for breakfàst!! OS says staples can come out in a week! They are starting to pull!
Have to wear the hotter monitor for two weeks they wanted to put in an implantable device but my husband said he didn't like the cutting me open again in case some kind of infection went into my knees! Good thing he was here cause I don't make such good decisions shdn I am under the influence! During one of my other surgeries I sold a two hundred dollar item to my neighbor for fifty dollars!
LOL, hubby still reminds me of that one!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, when I was in the hospital I had a similar impression that one hand wasn't sure what the other was doing, so, hopefully, they'll get it together before they transport you somewhere! Having your husband there to look after you is very good! We all need advocates in these times...
My OS had me get a device that was supposed to help me get to 0 degrees extension, and it was as you described, putting your herl on something to force your leg to go straight. I never did get the thing to work, but now my extension is pretty good, though last time we checked it was at 4 degrees. That extension will come, but with all you've been through, I bet you'll hear others say it's way too soon to be fretting about that. The ROM comes when the swelling goes down and that lets movement happen... I'm seeing it get better daily now...
 
Do you want to go to a rehab? Are there stairs in the house you can't navigate?
 
Karri, yes unfortunately I have 15 steep stairs to get to my second floor apartment. Once there, I have kitchen, bedroom, bath and living room all on one floor. I am hoping by going to rehab I can get up the stairs at home, then camp out for a. Couple more weeks. Or do the stairs just once a day if necessary. Not looking forward to intense rehab and will try to keep those folks at a distance if possible! We shall see!
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had 13 steps from the garage/basement to the main floor of my ranch home. I did go to PT for that reason and worked on stairs. My rehab was actually on the orthopedic floor of the hospital I was in, so no dementia or Alzheimer's patients. Also that meant the nurses, PTs, and OTs were familiar in dealing with TKR patients. I was there for a full week, had great care and my pain was managed very well. Don't be afraid to be a advocate for yourself.
Also, you can ask the nurses for some Miralax. Even with softeners, I needed the Miralax to get things moving.
 
The one thing you need once you are up in your apt is a place to get in your little teetering tottering walks the first week. If your apt is laid out so you could do circles, or go up and down a longish hall, you probably wouldn't need to go up and down the stairs at all the first week, once you make the initial trip up. I was in a hotel the first week, and ventured out of my room only to use the handicapped bathroom and to do my walk up and down the hall once or twice a day.
 
Great Lakes is right. Once you're up the stairs, don't go back down unless absolutely necessary for the first week or so. I only went down to leave the house. Someone else took the laundry downstairs and back upstairs. Even a few weeks out I did laundry as I was leaving. I'd get a basket ready, pull it down the stairs, then throw it in the wash as I was leaving and in the dryer when I returned.
 
Once I got home and went up the 5 steps to my house, I didn't do steps again for over 3 weeks! Hopefully @lene' , you will only need to be in rehab long enough to learn to navigate the steps and then you can go home. You only have to do it once since you had them both done! It will get better and better from this point on!

You can do it!

Jen
 
Thanks all for the encouragement. The rehab hospital where I am going has a rehab unit just for knees and hips. They know I need to do stairs so I think that will be the focus. And yes once home I can do laps in a circle through the rooms. Today I walked three times 75 feet, 100 feet then 150 feet! Sucess! And the
"Poop" fairy finally showed up after dinner tonight!! It was a good day, now I am icing and napping. I think I am doing everything right, for now!
I so appreciate all your good thoughts you guys/ gals are the best!
Blessings
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A rehab that specializes in knees and hips should be great! I'm happy to hear things are "moving" along!
 
Sounds like you are doing well, now! I stayed in a wonderful physical therapy rehab for 3 weeks. Hang in there, only good things will be there for you from now on!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
My biggest issue was constipation, glad you got some relief!
 
Two weeks in rehab made all the difference in the world for me. There is no way I could have made it up the four steps into my house and then down the thirteen to my bedroom when I got out of the hospital 4 days after surgery. Now they are not a problem at all. I get a little tired, but feel strong and safe going up and down.
 
Well fellow bonesmarties, I now have learned the "lesson" taught at the "Over Did It" club. Felt so good yesterday I took 4 walks up and done the hospital hall and woke up at 2AM with HUGE swelling. Took my Norco, Back to bed finally slept from 5-6 then PT came and got me up for morning walk. Pain back up to 7-8! Took two more Norco and back in recliner now. Guess it really is gonna be two steps forward one step back!! I should have listened to all of you, but nooooo I have to learn the hard way!!
Gonna catch a few more zzz's now.
Blessings,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's always hard to find the right balance between doing just enough and doing too much. Now you know how much walking is too much, so insist on cutting it back a bit.
 
Learning something new each day! Learning that getting out of bed at 4am for potty break is KILLER!!!!!
At this rate I don't know that I will ever get home!

Why do they not want me to elevate my legs?? They want me to sleep with them down or straight? I am only allowed ice every 20 min. 20 on/20 off? I bought two ice machines for home, I am confused about using them all night?

What do bonesmarties think?
Thanks,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Get home as fast as you can. Then you can ice and elevate to your heart's content.
I know that some places don't advocate elevating or icing but most do, and it certainly helps to reduce swelling.
 
No idea why they won't let you elevate. I was told to elevate my hands after surgery and the swelling went down very quickly. Also told to elevate knee, and hubby said swelling went down a good bit pretty fast. Unless they think you'll have your knee bent too much. I always see icing as 20 minutes, but I keep it on til it's no longer ice if I can. When you get home you can do it your way, so hopefully you will be home very soon!
 
I found that icing and elevating were my best friends, I still ice and elevate at times, it seems that now my foot swells more than my knee but elevating helps that also. As far as icing, the first 4 weeks I iced all the time, anytime I was sitting I was icing.

When do you get to go home??? I hope it's soon then you can do your own thing.

I hope you feel better soon!!
 
Does your hospital bed lift up at the end? You may be able to get a little elevation there.

I could never fall asleep after getting up to use the loo in the early morning hours because the nurses (God bless them) jumped on the chance to get my meds and vitals out of the way.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom