Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leg Bruising<<

I see him tomorrow so I hope he gives me more. I was taking as prescribed and the nurse warned me that I would not get anymore until this appointment so I started rationing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I agree with Josephine. I would have been in a lot of pain only taking hydrocodone 2-3 times a day at 4 weeks. At that point I was on an every 4 hour schedule.
Hope your doc prescribed more today. From my experience and what others say it seems to work best to taper gradually as you need meds less, not arbitrarily b/c docs cut you off. :(
 
My doctor did prescribe 33 more Norco 7.5. He was pleased with my progress. ROM of 105. I was upset that I was still on a cane but he is very pleased. More PT as tolerated and return in one month.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Don't be upset that you're using a cane. It's just a month from your latest surgery and you have TWO new knees. Patience, grasshopper...
 
There's nothing wrong with still using a cane. It's just a tool and there are no prizes for getting rid of it too soon. You should use the cane until your gait is perfectly normal again.
It's also useful for preventing falls (particularly in winter) and for making people keep their distance.

Long after I no longer needed a cane, I kept it in my car, for use on days when the surface underfoot might be slippery. Better to use a cane than to have a fall.
 
I still use one if I'm in a crowd. People are much more considerate.
 
I just don't understand why there is pain this time around at this stage. I was about over pain at this stage last time. Can't help it just concerned.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@lennie
It's still only just a month since you had major surgery - quite normal to still need pain medication. Some people still need pain medication (even though it's milder) for as long as 4 months.

Probably there's nothing wrong. It's just that this second knee is on its own schedule for recovery, not the same schedule as your first knee. We do advise people not to compare knees for that very reason. No two knees have exactly the same recovery, even done by the same surgeon on the same person. It's possible that your second knee needed more work done to it during the surgery.

Try not to worry. Your knee knows what it's doing.
Your mind is saying "I ought to be here," but your knee is saying "Not yet, my friend."
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
I am pain free right now for the first time in 16 hours. I took a longer walk out of frustration today. I wonder if I am doing too little. I was hurting so bad this morning that I called in and skipped PT.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
No. You're not doing too little. My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a TKR. He says that your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. After the first month, he allows one PT session every 2 weeks. At that session, we are shown a few new exercises, which we work on at home - just gently and only once a day.

The rest of the time, we rest, ice, elevate, and walk around the house a bit.

His patients all do well, as I did.
 
Thanks Celle and KarriB for these articles. They helped me put things in perspective.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@lennie , I think it's so hard for those who have TKRs so close together because it feels like you should be further along due to your first TKR. You've been living with and dealing with the effects of TKR since October, but in another month I believe things will be looking up for you.
 
Got 124 ROM on my 6 week old knee and 121 on my 15 week old at PT yesterday


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I took it really easy at first. I walk about 7500 steps or more at work so I have started ramping up on walking. I have pain in the new knee and swelling in both knees. I have been icing and elevating.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well I had to go to work yesterday to take a class to renew my license. I walked in and my coworker who relieves me after my shift said you are walking better. I said when did I see you last? She said your last workday before surgery. I said, What was I walking like then? The crowd in the room gave me two answers. 1. Like you were in pain. 2. Like a little old lady. So I didn't know that people could tell. I thought it just hurt.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom