Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leg Bruising<<

Have you tried icing through the night? It seems I've come across a few members with nighttime pain still and I've mentioned icing at night. It's cheap and easy to try. :shrug:
 
I am having problems getting my baby knee straight. I did not have this problem with the first knee and it seems to relate to the hamstring being 'locked up'. I have more pain than the first go around but I am managing the pain better. Would I be a total wimp if I asked for some more Norco. I had Percocet 5-325 to start and when I requested a refill I got Norco 5-325. I am not completely out but know we have a long weekend coming. Do I ask for more? Can I overcome this hamstring problem? Physical therapy says be patient.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yes, ask for more medications - you don't want to run out over the long weekend.

Don't worry about your leg not straightening yet. It's so early in your recovery. It will happen, with time and patience. For now, can you ice the back of your leg, as well as the front? It will be feeling pain there as well.
 
What are the lifting restrictions after TKR?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I haven't heard of anything specific, but it's too soon for you to be lifting anything heavy.

Can you put your question into some sort of context for us, then we might be able to help a bit more. For example, are you expecting to have to lift heavy objects in your job?
 
Is your question about lifting patients onto gurneys and into the ambulance? My OS never gave lifting restrictions, but I'd think lifting too much too soon could before hard on new knees. Hopefully your co-workers can help with lifting as additional weight will put a strain on your knees.
 
Yes I was asking about when I go back to work. My agency allows a third person to ride for lifting assistance but I don't know if there is a restriction on how long they do that.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I am a little concerned. I am still having considerable pain in my newest knee. My tibia was a lot closer to the skin and the implants are in a little different position. I had very little pain at this stage with my first knee. Should I be worried? I can do everything asked in PT but still on a cane with a limp.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
But it's still less than a month since your left knee was replaced, lennie!
Give it some more time.
Spend more time resting, icing and elevating, and ease off the exercises for a while. It could be that your PT is expecting too much of that knee right now, even though you can do the exercises.

We do tell people not to compare knees, because they can be so different. It could be that more surgical work was required during the operation on your second knee.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you. Do try to answer her questions as fully as possible, because she needs the information so she can advise you appropriately.
 
I am a little concerned. I am still having considerable pain in my newest knee.
Oh no! And you're not even 4 weeks out yet! We tend to call this period the "angry tissue" period. You need to bear that in mind.

In light of that, I'd like to ask you these questions again (last time was Oct 21st for the other knee1) if you don't mind, and as before it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Leg Bruising<<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. 6, 2. Hydrocodone 5-325, 3. Not quite moderate 4. About 85 5. Yes. Three times a day for at least an hour. 6. Constantly. 7. Very minimal housework. No cleaning other than sweeping the floor. 8. Quad tightening. A few leg lifts. Not many.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
At PT, leg lifts 3-10, squats 3-10, bike riding 8 minutes. TENS therapy for 10 minutes. Quad 3-10


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It's much too soon to be doing squats, unless they are only very slight, mini-squats. Deepeer than that is very hard on a new knee.
 
I agree with Celle, I'd stop anything that looks squat like since you're having pain.
 
That's rather high, even for 4 weeks out
2. Hydrocodone 5-325,
This information is pointless without knowing how much you take and at what times.
3. Not quite moderate
Okay
4. About 85
Well don't worry - you have plenty of time to improve on that.
5. Yes. Three times a day for at least an hour.
Jolly good!
6. Constantly
Excellent!
7. Very minimal housework. No cleaning other than sweeping the floor
You shouldn't even be doing that! Read this again Activity progression for TKRs
8. Quad tightening. A few leg lifts. Not many.
I did ask how many. I need to know this if I'm to give you sensible advice. Or would you be happy for me to just guess!!

My comments in bold
At PT
leg lifts 3-10 - a couple of words about straight leg lifts: a) once you can do them you don't need to do them any more and b) doing 30 in one go is far too much!
squats 3-10 - squats are not good. Stop doing them
Quad 3-10 - again, doing 30 at a time is dreadful. Stop them
bike riding 8 minutes - this is okay but only with a high seat and zero resistance

This PT really isn't doing you any good and is responsible for the pain you are experiencing.
I suggest you read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
 
Thanks Josephine. I am taking hydrocodone 7.5-325 2-3 times a day.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
 
Thought so. That's not enough for 4weeks out.You should take it as prescribed, every 4-6hrs.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom