TKR Leg Bruising<<

I complained to my PA about a month ago about pain under the knee where the stem of the implant goes into the bone radiating to the inside. She said it's all part of the healing process. I don't feel it at all unless I do a whole lot of walking or biking, or carrying something too heavy. For now, I'm avoiding the heavy lifting! If you are concerned about yours, you can always call your doctor. They'll be glad to answer any of your concerns..

Ok. As long as it's normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're not sure, please call your doctor. All it takes is a phone call! Your peace of mind is worth it!

Being able to walk up and DOWN stairs like a normal human being, PRICELESS!!!

Yes, it is priceless! No one who hasn't been through this understands the joyful feeling of doing this for the 'first time since...'! But, we do understand!

Hey does anyone know if our new knees weigh more on than the old ones? I gained about 10 lbs after my surgeries. I have lost a couple pounds but it is like I hit a wall. Does the new ones weigh more?

The knee prostheses don't weigh much at all. I'm not certain, but I think Josephine said they weigh about one pound (500 gms approximately). Sorry about that!

@lennie - At my pre-op class, we were shown a knee implant and it was passed around. Seemed heavy, but the physiotherapist said an implant weighs about the same as a natural knee. I have actually lost 20 lb (and could stand to lose a bit more - haha!) The pain and opioid painkillers were partly responsible because they killed my appetite for two or three months. I gave up alcohol, of course, and also gave up gluten due to intolerance. I've gone down a size and my clothes are baggy on me, but that's okay...I've been overweight for too long! I guess the weight loss is my knee surgery's silver lining!! Maybe I'll lose the rest of my extra pounds when I have my other knee replaced in a year or two. My OS told me I should reach a good height-weight ratio to minimize stress on my new knee and extend its life. I hope it lasts for the rest of mine, which will be a long one, God willing!

I was hoping I could blame my weight gain on the implant, too, but Josephine busted my bubble on that! Maybe your swelling has caused the weight gain. Also, if you were unable to eat for the first month or two after your surgery, your body probably adjusted to that amount. Then, when you started eating again, the weight came back on. I know mine did, I gained 17 pounds and it doesn't want to come back off!

Ok all I have a question! I had my right knee done in October 11, 2016 and my left December 13, 2016. My tight knee gives me almost no trouble. I almost never think about it. My left is 1000X better than the knee it replaced but it gets stiff and is somewhat painful. Do I need to schedule a follow up appointment? Normal healing?

Yes, you are just halfway through a year long surgery, so to have stiffness and discomfort at your stage is completely normal. Wonderful news on your right one!

Yes I have named my knees. I figured that they cost $104k so they deserved names. The right is Happy and the left Grumpy. Lol!

Those names sound like they fit your knees perfectly.
They still have a lot of healing, hoping Grumpy catches up with Happy. :heehee:

I hope that Grumpy becomes happy, too!

Ok. How many people have TKR just to need THR? Is it unusual?

Well fell taking the stretcher down a dirt path to a patient. Fell directly on my left knee. Got sent to doctor for workman comp. hardware intact but they are taking me off the truck for the rest of the shift. Kinda hurts

@lennie, I did the same thing when I fell in May and broke my ankle and foot. I feel directly on the new knee and it hurt bad for a week or so. I iced it along with my broken bones. I was finally able to drive to my OS in mid July and he said the implant was fine, that they are pretty indestructible. You will probably be sore for at least a week. Ice and elevate as long as you can. I hope you can take the time off from work. I think you'll be OK.

I'm glad the hardware held up. It's probably the soft tissue that's bruised and hurting so taking you off the truck is good. Take it easy and of course, ice will help. :yes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom