Guest viewing is limited

TKR Leg Bruising<<

@lennie

I know I'm late to reply, but don't be a hero when it comes to pain. I too have an extremely high pain tolerance, but we learn that TKRs are like no other surgery and you will need help managing the pain. It will get better, which I hope you are experiencing now, so why be so uncomfortable if you don't have to?

Jen
 
Well this experience is different. I can't raise my leg it is just too painful. I am discouraged but will try to give my knee time to heal. I am icing and taking my pain medication on schedule. Should I be concerned?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It can take a bit of time before you will be able to do that without pain. At this point there is no reason to worry about it. I have a recliner that has a motor that slowly lifts my legs or place them back to the floor. It took a bit of time to do that on mh own.
 
Well this experience is different. I can't raise my leg it is just too painful. I am discouraged but will try to give my knee time to heal. I am icing and taking my pain medication on schedule. Should I be concerned?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't raise my leg either. I was told it was due to the cuts made in the muscle during surgery. I've been told to be patient and do the exercises and it will return.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
This is when I used my leg lifter. Leg lifts were quite painful, but using the leg lifter to practice helped. In the beginning it was all arm power pulling on the leg lifter, but as days went by it became less arm power and more leg power until I didn't need it a all.
 
It was a few weeks before I could lift my leg up without extreme pain. I used my good leg under my surgical leg and lifted it that way. It just got easier and easier as time went on and soon I lifted the new leg all by itself. It was still some pain, but not too bad. You'll get there.
 
Ok, so last night my calf was so swollen that I had to take off the embolism sock. The whole leg is swollen including the ankle. There is no specific pain in my calf just general swelling pain. Do I need to worry?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Have you increased activity? Is that swollen spot hot? You're so early in recovery swelling is normal at a week.
 
Have not tried to increase activity. No redness or hot spots.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Lot's of swelling is normal after these surgeries. It sounds like what you're experiencing is normal. Redness and hotspots are a reason to worry about clots, but you don't have those. Be sure you follow the guide lines on here. Keep that knee elevated with your toes above your nose and ice as long as you're elevating. I iced for hours at a time and all night long. Of course, I was up every hour or so to go to the bathroom or to get a snack or a drink, but as soon as I sat back down that ice was on me.
 
So far so good. Day 2 and 1st PT session down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some days you'll wonder "why in heavens name did I do this". But the as week three post op approaches you will see the light at the end of the very long tunnel. Be kind to yourself and live with the BoneSmart mantras! I have my 3 week checkup for the R and 7 week for the L with the OS tomorrow, I think he'll be pleased. Remember this time make sure to keep close track of the pain medications so you don't have to suffer.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Well this experience is different. I can't raise my leg it is just too painful. I am discouraged but will try to give my knee time to heal. I am icing and taking my pain medication on schedule. Should I be concerned?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a leg lifter? I couldn't lift my leg until day 12 this time!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Can you put your good leg under your new one and lift it that way? That's how I did it for the first few weeks. You will soon be able to lift that leg. It is extremely painful to try and do it by itself. There's no reason at all to do that.
 
You can also use a towel, scarf or sheet to help lift your leg.
 
Went to PT today in pain. Did my little exercises and my knee has felt better ever since. Go figure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I used a dog leash that I borrowed from one of my three furry friends to help lift my leg. Hopefully your knee will stay happy tonight and tomorrow too.
 
Still having a good deal of pain at night. I am resting, icing and elevating during the day and doing only quad exercises and ankle flexes. Anything I can do to improve this situation?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
An infant knee is very moody. Sometimes it gets angry for no reason. You are still in the raw pain stage which should start to lessen a little each day. Nighttime is always the worst. If you do anything extra during the day, your knee will scream at you at night. Unfortunately, that's pretty normal for a knee that's under two weeks old.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom