TKR Left TKR Recovery---Now I Have a Matching Set

@mendogal I absolutely love your idea for what you did with Hubby, and I will definitely steal it to do something meaningful/appreciative for him when we get past the worst of these early weeks. You primed my brain for 2-3 things he'd love, and I know he would be totally surprised!!! My mother-in-law lives 10 minutes from us, and she'd be a huge help so I can keep it secret and in case I need her assistance with the follow-thru!! I also took your advice today and stayed off that bike.:bignono: The weird medial knee pain came back today around 7:15 PM just out of the blue, for seemingly o reason. No one was home, and I really needed a bathroom break and had to walk on it. Afterwards, I just cried and cried for 20 minutes. I think I had a mental breath-through though which I write about separately. :) Thanks again for the ideas!!!
 
Well, I think I had a mental break-through today and came to some realizations/conclusions (I think better when I write it out....)

Part 1
1) I need to ditch my pre-op hopes/dreams. This recovery is going to be similar to the other TKR. My hopes of being different were never realistic----it was probably a trauma response so my brain would let me walk through the hospital doors.
2) I need to let my ANGER and resentment about the pain go too. It's just keeping me mad & emotional. There's enough Oxycodone in my system that I don't need anything else keeping me emotional.
3) One of my son's favorite phrases is "It is what it is!" He's had to persevere through way too much in his young life, and it hasn't been fair. Well, I wasn't promised this TKR would be easier/simpler, was I? This recovery has been unique and interesting so far, and it just is what it is.

Part 2-I also did a lot of reading/researching online in the last 24-36 hrs.
1) There's almost zero research into post-operative recovery experiences for autoimmune patients undergoing joint replacements. The data focuses only on final outcomes, meaning did this group get full function back? (Yes, they did)--- Those results help none of us when we're crying 3 weeks (or 4 months!!) after a TKR with symptoms seemingly worse than everyone else. The only "recovery symptoms" chart I found showed initial pain after replacement surgery is definitely higher in those with an inflammatory and/or autoimmune condition. So YES!! The extra pain is real!! Woohoo for Validation!!!
2) I DID find a small sampling of posts from other patients asking "Why do I still hurt so much, swell so much, and need so much narcotic pain medication 3-4 months out from a TKR?" The thing these patients and I have in common is the autoimmune disease. Further digging found apparently the immune system has an inflammatory response to surgery to promote healing. So if one has an autoimmune disease, they probably have a stronger inflammatory response to surgery (meaning more swelling and pain). It's also seen in autoimmune patients having major or even minor surgery that they often experience a flare-up of their symptoms post-op. [[This may explain why my psoriasis popped up in odd places & in abundance over the last 8-9 days. Plus my hands hurt A LOT (one of my common areas of PsA inflammation). I'd been blaming it on the walker.]]
3) For those of us with an autoimmune disorder & bad recovery experiences, we're in that group of patients that Just Don't Fit!! We're the subject of many assumptions: a) did we really do what the Drs/PTs told us? b) we must be emotionally weak, c) apparently we can't handle pain (because it can't be THAT bad, right??!!), and d) we probably did something wrong. With all of that, it's no wonder we're frustrated, think we're crazy, and mad at the world, asking why we ever went through with this (Or did it AGAIN!!).

Part 3-Tomorrow
1) I accept the fact this recovery turned rough because my body was predisposed to having a hard recovery. Whatever the surgeon put into my knee during surgery MUST have worn off around the 4-5 day mark. Then the bike added inflammation and compounded it daily.
2) I'm calling the surgeon and telling him of my increasing symptoms. He needs to know, and I want it documented for when I need to request more pain meds.
3) No more downplaying how bad things are to friends/family, especially my husband & son. I was worried they'd think I was a baby & being negative. I kept trying to be my usual Super Mom. I don't care anymore. I don't lie well, & trying to hide it is making me very resentful.
4) I already talked to my husband tonight, & we tweaked the medication schedule. He agrees I need to add an oxycodone at 6 PM every evening until we see a significant improvement. Getting behind the pain every night is NOT a good thing just because I didn't want to depend on the oxycodone. My body keeps getting mad around 7-8 each night, and we need to head that off.

OK, that's my brain-dump. I feel better. Thanks to anyone one who actually makes it through all of this mental mumbo-jumbo. :tiredwheel: It's nice to have it when I need to refer back for validation or a pick-me-up.
 
Not a hint of mumbo jumbo!

This retired career RN agrees 100% with your analysis of the underlying physiology.

And the psychosocial and emotional stuff is also rooted in what we know about neurology and the mind-body system.

One thing I learned very early in my career is that any halfway intelligent person who has lived for a while with a chronic condition by necessity has become an expert on how it manifests and what it needs (and that the professionals who refuse to heed this hard-earned knowledge can really mess people up!)

I hope this marks a real turning point for your recovery.
 
that's my brain-dump. I feel better. Thanks to anyone one who actually makes it through all of this mental mumbo-jumbo
Don't worry about long posts.
As you say- they are really useful to go back to for reference. For a long time I found it useful to compare my progress and sometimes wished I had been more detailed- e.g done joint scores.
Long posts are also interesting for others in the same boat for reference and comfort that they are not alone!
 
@Rockgirl4 a great post full of wisdom and insight. I found it very interesting. I too have an autoimmune condition but I am lucky that it’s at the milder end and well controlled. I too am guilty of downplaying things.
it sounds like you have a great plan going forward. Thank you for sharing this. I am sure it will help a lot of people and hopefully it has helped you. Wishing you a better day. :hugzz::chuckmarch:
 
I'm just catching up with these events but you've had a rough go of it this past week. I had the "not quite make it to the bathroom" experience with the January knee which is just awful when you can barely walk, it's painful, and then that. I was under orders to not shower for two weeks either and was so thankful I had bought shower leg covers because there was no way under heaven I wasn't getting in the shower.

I think that bike is something to come back to later - perhaps with your autoimmune pain response it's just way too much. You might actually like it later on but the important part now is getting a handle on the swelling and pain and so on. Just doing the stretches seems like enough? I never had a bike and couldn't have used it anyway after the January knee because my left knee was so bad.

Getting the appropriate pain meds and figuring out what works and the tapering is really tough but you have to have a handle on on the pain first before you can back off of the meds. It's tough and I hope you're feeling better today!
 
Following with interest, Rockgirl and appreciate your posts for the honesty, insight and humor too!
"brain dump" :heehee:

No more downplaying how bad things are to friends/family, especially my husband & son. I was worried they'd think I was a baby & being negative. I kept trying to be my usual Super Mom. I don't care anymore. I don't lie well, & trying to hide it is making me very resentful.
Best news! You are healing from major surgery and it can be a battle for some, so I'm glad you're keeping it real with your family and loved ones.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us...and with those yet to join us. I am sure your posts will benefit many.
Happy Thursday! :SUNsmile:
 
@sistersinhim Goodness--you mention hugs and I almost start crying:friends:. :flwrysmile:That's so sweet of you.

What's funny is none of you would recognize me from the painfully shy, scared-of-everything person I was before I became a parent. This kiddo turned us into Mama and Papa Bear quickly because of his many unique health issues. I then had to find a sense of humor in my late 30's when we started dealing with his new, scarier health issues, my parents both getting cancer/needing end-of-life care, and my 7 knee surgeries mixed in there. What's that phrase--- "IYou have to laugh about it or end up crying?"
 
@selketine Would you believe I finally saw a message pop up on the screen of my bike today? I hopped on to do the lightest session (will get to that later). It was 8 mins of passive peddling (the bike does the work), then it changes to 4 mins of active peddling where I push. I was going to back out when the active peddling started, knowing I'd get a zero for that session. ---[Is it just me, or does that seem like a direct guilt-trip?!] ((eye roll))!--- Anyway, at the beginning and end of each session, it asks to enter your pain level. After 2 weeks of entering 7 or 8 (out of 10), it asked if I wanted someone to call about changing the treatment plan. Sure--after the damage is done!! I was glad I did the passive part though, as my knee was SUPER stiff and didn't want to bend at all today. I definitely felt like I'd lost something by not using it at all for almost 48 hrs. I just don't understand why there can't be a happy medium??? This machine has each session/day set up with no adjustments for pausing, quitting early, lengthening passive vs active times, etc. I've even read somewhere that some people are told the sessions per day are a suggestion and not actually expected. I was never told that though. I was told it is set to what your particular surgeon wants you to do, and it changes every few days as you get further into recovery. Regardless--I wonder if the rigidity of the program is part of what creates problem. Once again, there's this assumption we don't know what's best for our body. :(
 
This machine has each session/day set up with no adjustments for pausing, quitting early, lengthening passive vs active times, etc.
Yes this just seems ... a bad use of technology. I think the bike is probably good but it should give the user some control over the settings - especially to go to an easier setting or just a manual mode. It's the type of bike that is a rental right and you get it for awhile? Seems like it would serve you better a bit later in recovery vs. right after. I don't know why with your autoimmune and swelling issues that had you doing so much so soon.

Can someone at the doctor office reprogram that bike? lol - but seriously it needs it.

Reminds me of all the PTs I've seen - and ALL of them have such different approaches. That's when you know that there is no consensus on what works. I do agree that working on extension and ROM are probably the most important things to work on early on (vs. strength) but there's no one way to get to that point. Seated heel slides and the quad sets & another exercise which is just stretching my leg out while seated and working on straightening it are my main exercises still!
 
-I wonder if the rigidity of the program is part of what creates problem. Once again, there's this assumption we don't know what's best for our body. :(
I completely agree. That's why we stress that everyone is different, even each knee on the same person!
What's that phrase--- "IYou have to laugh about it or end up crying?"
A good sense of humor is a great asset, but so is crying. When you cry, we release toxins through your tears, not to mention all that built up stress! So, do both and don't feel guilty.
 
I'm just chiming in to celebrate today. Regardless of my poor knee, today is my 52nd birthday.:dancy::yay:My mother-in-law brought me lunch, my favorite dessert, a card with some $ for "online therapy,", then we talked for a good hour. My husband gave me much more---He's always been that guy who's love language is doing things for others instead of the typical flowers/presents. He's been working his butt off between a full-time job, taking care of me, the household, his martial arts school, and himself as he's been under the weather all week.

As for ME, I'd like to think I celebrated this year by giving myself another new knee for a matching set. I should be done with all things "knees" for a few years, and this is the gift that will keep on giving. Granted, I just have to get past the next few months first-LOL!!

I hope everyone is having a good day and has a good weekend too.
 
Last edited:
Fellow Bone Smarties--only you will understand and appreciate this exchange I just had with my wonderful husband....for context, he's kept the medicine log this time around. Thanks to my blood pressure meds, I had 10-11 meds to take at different times/frequencies each day. Our bar looks like a pharmacy shelf.

{Scene: He's leaving to teach his martial arts classes and will be gone from 5:45-10 PM. He's checking the med log, making sure we didn't forget anything}

Me: So, I'm good to take the Oxy at 6pm, then the Tramadol/Tylenol Combo at 9PM, right???

Hubs: (No words, just a blank stare...)

Me: You do remember we added the oxy at 6 pm a couple of days ago...thanks to the misery that sets in at 7 pm, right???? (I said it with a joking, questioning lilt, like I was teasing him for forgetting something)

Hubs: Well, you're not going to like this.....but the medication schedule for weeks 3 & 4 says you only get 1 oxycodone at Wake-Up and 1 at Bedtime, but only if you really need it.

Me: (No words, just a blank stare....)

Hubs: What!!?? What did I say wrong?

Me: Did you really just go there?

Hubs: I'm lost. We started the new sheet today in the recovery packet with the new meds schedule, and I'm just going by the rules.

Me: Where have you been the last 10 years? Or scratch that, THE LAST 10 DAYS????!!!!

Hubs: Yeah! Hmmm....Not one of my better moments, is it?! Your knees have never followed the rules. Forgive me for telling you when you're officially "allowed" to hurt! (Said with a smirk and finger quotes for "allowed"!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom