Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR Recovery---Now I Have a Matching Set

@Toothfairy I wondered about covering it up, but the blanket touching it overnight wasn't as bad as I expected. It's more than I can't seem to distract myself as easily. I can't even say it's a painful 9 so much as an annoying 9 where I can concentrate on anything else.
 
Sorry that you are having so much sensitivity around the incision, @Rockgirl4. Have you tried the plastic wrap trick? I used it every bedtime for weeks after my dressing came off and it really helped reduce the discomfort from the bedding rubbing against it.
 
My scar is very sensitive even at 11 months and I also have a tendency toward keloids/hypertrophic scars, so I wear a silicone tape strip over the scar most of the time, to encourage a flatter scar. It has the added side benefit of kind of protecting that really sensitive area. I just ordered a roll of it on Amazon and change it every couple of days. It really helps to give it a feeling of protection.
 
Day 23 Update: This is starting to get old, and I've lost some of my positivity. I can easily say my swelling never improves, no matter what I do. The leg overall feels better---but the knee and the areas 4 inches above/below are so unhappy and sensitive. It feels like someone kicked my shin with steel-toed boots, and there's a good chunk of the day that my shin hurts worse than the knee. I've tried walking a bit without the walker, and that's not safe yet. If I'm not 2 hours into an oxy dose, the leg just hurts too bad, plus I get too off-balance because of all the swelling (lack of motion).

I tried to cut my afternoon tramadol dose in half yesterday, and that backfired. It was an awful evening.

I'm getting stir-crazy and want to do other things to entertain myself, but I simply can't get comfortable for very long. My lower and mid-back are giving me fits. I have a back/hip issues anyway that is easily aggravated. I slept on the couch those 3-4 nights in a row, and I wonder if that made matters worse.

Last but not least, I woke up feeling awful today--like I was coming down with something. Lots of body aches and a headache. I'm hoping it's a fluke and tomorrow will be better.

The good news: I can sit on the couch, with my feet touching the floor. It's not a perfect 90 degree bend, but it improves over 5-10 minutes. The point is it's MUCH better and less painful than the other knee was after my first TKR in 2019. I do one session on the PT Rom bike each day and that's it. I figure the knee is bending some, but nothing crazy/repetitive. I see my surgeon a week from Monday, and I can't wait to ask for a stronger anti-inflammatory like I used in 2019.
 
Good news @Rockgirl4 about being able to sit on the couch with your feet touching the floor and also your leg feeling overall better. Sorry to hear you still have so much pain. I can totally relate to you starting to feel stir crazy. I felt a bit like that last night.
I hope you are not coming down with something, you really just don’t need that. Take care and I hope you soon feel much better in yourself.
 
The good news: I can sit on the couch, with my feet touching the floor. It's not a perfect 90 degree bend, but it improves over 5-10 minutes. The point is it's MUCH better and less painful than the other knee was after my first TKR in 2019.
That is good news. Try to hold on to the positive.
Hope you aren't coming down with something. I found my immune system was pretty rubbish in the few months after my PKR- but in my case it was not helped by sharing a home with my infant grandson, who was going to childcare...
I tried probiotics/ vitamins. I am really not sure if they helped or were just a placebo- but they made me feel I was doing something.
 
I can easily say my swelling never improves, no matter what I do.
My January knee was a giant swollen sausage and it took until maybe...weeks 6 or 7 or so for it to go down? No idea why it was so swollen when the September knee has not looked like that. I didn't do anything differently. Not sure there is much you can do but what you're doing with it. I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well and the extra issues with your back/hip are certainly not helping. I used my walker 6-7 weeks with knee #1 and I'm still using it sometimes with this knee. Better to use it than fall!

I've felt a few times like I was coming down with something and then it goes away - weather changes? I haven't gotten actually sick in any way but I've had headaches which I don't normally get. Maybe some artifact of surgery?

I hope you're feeling better today and next week the surgeon will have some ideas to help.
 
The good news: I can sit on the couch, with my feet touching the floor. It's not a perfect 90 degree bend, but it improves over 5-10 minutes. The point is it's MUCH better and less painful than the other knee was after my first TKR in 2019.
That's progress. We all know it's a slow go for some. But as you can see many have said it will come
Look to.the positive and not the negative

And don't neglect the fact that your discouraged. Bring it up by calling your internist . You don't want it to spiral .

Just keep chugging along

I hope you ave a good week
 
Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Hopefully as the day progressed you're doing better and you feel even more comfortable tomorrow. Hugs and best wishes!
@Rockgirl4
 
I'm so sorry it's a terrible day. It's so hard to keep your spirits up when healing is so very slow and painful.
:kitty:
There is no hug emoji, so have a biscuit kitten.
 
First, you guys are simply the best---always there when one of is having a bad day (or three!!). :) It would be a mess to tag everyone individually, but much thanks to everybody for the pep talk and the virtual hugs. :friends:

@luvcats The biscuit kitten is ALWAYS appreciated. I've been hugging on my big orange tabby a lot the last 2 days, as he can always tell when I'm down. It's amazing how intuitive animals are, and they seem to just want to make things better. Thanks for the thoughts/concern.

As for today (Day 24), I hope yesterday was a one-off. I feel more normal this afternoon, and no more crazy sweating or chills either. I've noticed in the last 4-5 years I'll get a 36-48 hr period when I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. I never have a fever, but I could swear it's coming. Then I'm fine after 2 days. My Rheumatologist said she has a lot of Lupus, RA, and PsA patients that get this. It's like our immune systems are already working too hard, and it thinks it's found something new to fight off. It just takes a couple of days for the immune system to realize it's a false alarm.:shrug: As much as we're warned about infection, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things. My incision looks great, so that makes me happy. I can't SEE anything to be worried about thankfully.

ON A GOOD NOTE: Today has definitely been better than the last 2 regarding leg pain and sensitivity. Even though the swelling hasn't changed, it's obvious more of my leg is coming back online. My hips are trying to do things the knee can't keep up with:egypdance:, and I think it's muscle memory. The balance checks don't hurt whenn this happens, which is a big improvement. I can also move my entire leg around now, in all directions. That's helping the sleep situation and changing positions. I made it all night in bed, getting 10 hrs a sleep in 2-3 chunks--just a bathroom break in the middle and having my husband rearrange pillows and get me an Oxy at 5 AM. THAT was a weird break-thru pain episode, but I think it's just from doing a bit more each day and taking nothing else from 12:30 AM to 7 AM.

He asked me today if I was close to being done with the walker, but I don't have enough consistent bend or extension to be safe without it...and as soon as the pain jumps up again at all, I have to put all my weight on the walker. Each day is a bit better though, so maybe I'm getting close.

@selketine I completely agree about the vacation, but I always need them bumped out to the 7-8th month mark...and it should be free because we've already paid for it with pain, sweat, tears, blood, lack of sleep, etc. :thankyou: We're already making plans for next year after so many cancellations the last 2-3 years. So far, the plan is 4-5 days on a beach doing NOTHING but relaxing (June or July), Memorial Day week with our closest friends (last time all 3 teenagers will be there :( ), then an autumn trip either to Utah for 4-wheel drive canyon running or to New England for leaf peeping. The hubs knows we both need to get out of Dodge and relax!!
 
@selketine As much as I KNOW that the swelling can last for a long time, it's cases like yours that keep me calmer than I normally would be. Thanks for those details, as it really DOES help. I know there's no rush to get off the walker too, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one reliant on it longer than many.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom