TKR Left TKR Recovery---Now I Have a Matching Set

Sorry to read that you landed on the ODIC bench, @Rockgirl4. Don't beat yourself up about it -- we've all done at least once during the first few months of recovery. It can be so hard to judge how much is too much.

Glad you had a good cry. This recovery really can be an emotional rollercoaster, so give yourself some grace. We are here for you anytime you want to share your frustrations. Getting it out can help.

Sending hugs:console2:
 
Hey @Rockgirl4! I'm happy and sad to see you here. I'm sorry to hear that the early positive start may no carry through.
It is my opinion and experience that there is no such thing as too much ice with a replacement. With a nice thick towel to protect the skin, I spent almost every waking minute with ice on my new knees for weeks. And now that I'm over in hip land, I'm still having a very intense relationship with my ice packs. I hope you find some solution so you'll have an easier time with this one.
 
@Layla I should ice 45 mins on and 25 mins off ?
You can ice as often as you like and for as long as you find it comfortable to do so. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down which was often in early recovery. Just make sure you always place something between bare skin and the ice source.
 
Like luvcats, I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or lying down for the first couple of months. I made sure I had a cloth between me and the ice packs to protect my skin from damage. In my opinion, one can not over ice if their skin is protected. This helps to keep inflammation down, lowering the pain and swelling.
 
@Layla Thanks for all of the reminders, as everything helps!! I've spent the last 2 days doing things more by the Bonesmart Book!:wink:

@luvcats Oh my gosh---it is SOOOOO good to see you again!! You always made my day and cheered me up back in the day. As much as I hate knowing you're back for your hip, I have to say it made me grin and feel SO HAPPY to see your picture. :friends::kittymilk::meow: I hope the hip isn't giving you too much grief and thanks for making my day.
 
It's Day 12 (Tuesday). I'd emailed my surgeon Saturday afternoon, stating my concerns with pain/swelling, and mostly because of the need for more pain medication. I told him I thought it was time for steroids, and what did he think. The only response today was his nurse stating "I'll let you know what he says." That was 8:15 AM, with nothing but silence the rest of the day. Regardless, I cut back and am only riding the bike 2X a day instead of 5. My entire leg feels better afterwards now, but considering the amount of swelling and early AM pain, plus late PM pain, I'm sticking to these 2 sessions for now. I'm getting stronger in other ways, so I know I'm not withering away on the couch. Getting out of bed in the morning is excruciating though.:banghead:

I'm going to have to figure out my mood though. I've had some major crying the last 4 days when I get irritated/frustrated. It starts late-day around 5-6 PM, and once I have that angry cry, I'm fine. I wonder if the meds are messing with me.

We have had a lot of life-stuff these last 2-3 years revolving around our son though, and he still has a way of making me very angry at times. He's been on a role since my surgery, and my husband wonders if it has freaked him out a bit to see my so reliant on others. This college application process might be the end of all 3 of us. We're having way too many late-day family meetings where my husband is the voice of calm & reason. Thankfully, we resolved A LOT of things tonight and made some firm decisions as a family, so this should help drastically. My tear-ducts approve!

In other news, the zingers have started, along with the weird skin sensations all over my lower leg. The zingers aren't as bad, probably because I'm taking Lyrica this time, but the skin sensations are crazy---sometimes it feels like there's cold water running down my leg, other times it's like someone is breathing on it. It keeps things interesting.

I hope everyone else is doing well, or at least moving in the right direction. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with everyone else's threads much. I will work on that.

Oh my gosh! I almost forgot to mention my "Tramadol dreams!!!" Has anyone else noticed very detailed and very long dreams when taking Tramadol? These dreams go on forever, and they are super detailed, making perfect sense. BY the time I sleep at night and have 2 naps during the daytime, it's like I'm living 2 different lives. :fasthorse:
 
Last edited:
It sounds like you are having a tough time with lots of different things going on @Rockgirl4 I hope your surgeon gets back to you with advice. It sounds sensible to cut back on the bike if it’s reducing your pain.
I am sure the combination of pain, frustration , family things and medication are responsible for your crying. Sometimes we just need to have a good cry. Take it gently. It will get better.
 
It never rains but it pours, right? I'm sorry you're having a deluge right now.

Remember that a certain amount of depression and emotional upset is an absolutely normal part of the post surgery/anesthesia/trauma process. Like zingers. And I'm glad you mentioned zingers because I've been having a lot of them and I'd forgotten that they too are part of the process. Annoying little critters.

I'm very glad tramadol doesn't give me vibrant dreams. I've been on it ages.

I'll sum up my thread. Like knees, I'm here for both hips. I had righty done in May. Absolute dream! Easy healing, fast recovery, and OMG hips are better than knees! The last day of July I had lefty done. She has been an absolute diva, in the bad way. It hurt a lot more than the right one ever did. Lots of throbbing pain. At one month, just when I thought things were finally working out, my incision opened up to release pressure from a huge hematoma. That of course happened over Labor Day weekend, so it was almost a week before I got to see the surgeon, and by then the open wound was infected, go figure. So back into surgery, lions and tigers and bears oh my. So here I am at 2 months feeling like 2 weeks.

I hear you about bodies that won't cooperate and just heal darn it, and it's so nice to have an old friend to hang out with again while we wait.

I hope last night's college process resolutions hold up in the morning light.
 
We all know you could do it !
And it's good to let out some emotions. Not good to keep it in all inside
Are the zingers burning sensation ? Because that's what I think I have at times
Keep up the bike twice a day
Your only day 12
Slow but sure is the way
 
Are the zingers burning sensation ?

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.
I hope you have a good week, Dearjr

@Rockgirl4 I wish you a week of comfort and peace. :console2:
 
@luvcats Oh my!! You've had quite the Hip nightmare! That sounds miserable and atrocious. You have got to be so over joint replacements by now. This was not the way to end it for #4. I'll hang out with you and wait on recovery ANY time, old friend!!:friends:

@Dearjr Yes, like @Layla said, for me personally, zingers are quick little shocks around my incision (anywhere and everywhere is possible), usually ON my incision 85-90% of the time. I also get quick jolt of a searing/burning pain that comes out of nowhere and leaves just as quickly. They're not too bad except at 3-4 in the morning, when you've JUST finally fallen asleep. :gaah:
 
This is not meant to be funny ((because I really hope I didn't hurt myself)), but I couldn't make this up if I tried. The last 5 hrs have been miserable...avoid if a little bit of TMI bothers you.

Yesterday was probably the worst yet for overall pain/discomfort, but I was keeping the faith because my surgeon called in 2 weeks of a daily steroid. No updated directions for that dreaded PT-bike, but I'll still chose if/when/how much I use it.

So, we got off schedule with my multimodal pain regimen (fancy words for spreading out the Tylenol/tramadol and oxycodone at least 2 hrs apart). When my son went to pick up the new steroid RX yesterday, the pharmacist saw the other meds in my chart, then made my son repeat back that taking Oxy and Tramadol within an hour of each other will damage my kidneys, if it doesn't kill me first. My son said "Well, they're following the surgeon's chart, so yeah----can I go now???" I was super proud of that kid, as I know he said it with a bit of snark. We're not buying into the pharmacy fear-mongering (considering this is my surgeon's ENTIRE practice of 12+ surgeons using this multimodal pain regimen, with fancy handouts and everything!), but we ARE trying to keep them 2 hrs apart unless I'm hurting miserably. Anyway-we got off schedule, plus I took the first steroid. That's code for "Lisa will be up until at least 3 AM" --so I ended up waiting to take the oxycodone at 1:30 AM, waited for it to kick in, planning to make the trek from the couch to the bedroom at 2:00 AM.

That was the original plan.:cry: I've had trouble balancing out whether I really need the stool softeners or not, but they've worked TOO well this time around. Forgive the details, but my stomach freaked out on me. I could embellish and say I tried to make a run for it, but who am I kidding???!!! The mad dash was a sad, hurried disaster!:bolt:My walker fell over, and one of the tennis-ball covered feet hit my TKR leg, about 1.5 inches diagonally from the base of my incision--toward the inside part of my leg. It lit me up!!!!! I couldn't do much but swear because I still needed to :bolt:for the bathroom. Disaster looming....

I'll spare you the details except that I didn't quite make it. The mess didn't upset me as much as the fact I'd hurried and aggravated my leg way too much trying to succeed. I was able to deal with it on my own, but I think I aggravated a lot of leg muscles in the process.

I tried to get in bed and get comfortable. After 10 minutes, I realized that wasn't happening. It was somehow 4AM, I woke my husband, told him what happened, admitted I should have just woke him up to help in the first place, took more oxy, added more leg pillows, tried (and failed!!) to get some sleep. By 7 AM, I was back on the couch with my Lounge Dr. It hurts to walk, but after doing some knee exercises, it's the front/inside of that upper shin that hurts so badly---NOT the knee. I wondered if I could have broken something from the walker hitting me, but it was a tennis-ball covered foot just falling over and popping up 6 inches into my leg. I really don't think it did anything but further bruise an already ticked-off shin. All of my leg muscles are super mad though, making walking and sleeping a nightmare.

To add insult to injury, the roofers showed up to roof the house next door at 7:30 AM. It actually sounds like someone is walking on OUR roof.

Lessons Learned: 1) No more stool softeners, as this wasn't the first:bolt: All others didn't end in disaster thankfully, 2) Run for it as soon as the urge hits ((I'll stop with the emojis now)), 3) Just wake the husband and ASK FOR HELP!!! This man has helped me through 12 other surgeries, a traumatic birth/delivery, changing all dirty diapers the first month of our son's life, plus 32 years of other nightmarish medical stuff with our son as a toddler. He's a keeper who has seen and done it all. 4) Almost forgot----Don't get off schedule with meds--EVER!!!! This was a fiasco in the making from MUCH earlier in the day.
 
Last edited:
I forgot say earlier that if I didn't know better.......and not really believe in that junk........ I could almost make the case someone put a hex on me last Wednesday! :badspidy::tantrum2::blackcloud:The last week has been so drastically different than the week before.:scratch:

The scientist in me just wants to throw this PT-bike off the back deck! It all started with that #$%^ bike.
 
Last edited:
Oh poor you. That sounds absolutely awful. I hope it’s just bruising that will soon settle. Sending a big hug and a bucket of sympathy your way.
 
Hopefully the rest of the week will be uneventful
I learnt early on with a knee replacement taking stool softener too often can lead to disaster. It's easier to push hard than to clean up a mess

Ice the are where the walker hit and don't hesitate to call Dr if it persists
 
Just catching up, oh my, What A Night.
You had soooo much to deal with.

Yeah, lose the PT bike. Or ok, maybe not - how about skip one day and then do a half session twice a day?

Fingers crossed the steroid course is effective for you. Yeah, it gives me insomnia too. Ugh. But getting you past this inflammation will be excellent.

(a tangent that might bring a smile... as you too have a wonderful husband... my first knee was days before MDH's 70th. I prearranged a custom small heart shaped cake from our local bakery - delivery via a friend - a home delivered nice dinner, and a custom trophy stashed away weeks earlier that says America's Sweetheart. It made a potentially miserable day quite lovely, and he does love his trophy!)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom