THR Left one is done - and right one too!

Sorry about the aggravating rashes...so glad you were able to post. You've been in my prayers. Keep those meds going, rest all you can. Healing wishes coming your way...check in when possible:friends:
 
So here we go again. The stupid wound is draining and I've already had to get the bandage changed Sunday and today it is already soaked. So much for waterproof dressing failing from the inside out. It is quite upsetting because my emotions are on edge and frustrating bcuz it's out of my control. I am waiting to hear back from the doctor. He may have to order nursing services as well as PT .

Otherwise, i guess i feel okay. I am dealing with rashes but they are on my belly and around tje wound so easier to reach than last time. My daughter thinks it's more swollen today but I wonder if it is an illusion since I dont have the leg length discrepancy this time. They are even!

A friend is bringing me lunch and I've been dating my boyfriend for a year which is bittersweet since we've been strained the past couple weeks but are working through it. PT is coming at noon and I have a couple calls to make so hopefully my day will go quickly.

Til the next update.
 
Leenie, So sorry you are dealing with all if this. I certainly understand feeling emotional, we've all been there. Seems any little thing can throw you into a tizzy. Not that a soaked dressing isn't upsetting but everything compiles and you simply want to scream! Hopefully a few in home nurse visits will help ease the stress.

Sounds like you've dealt with the mystery rashes before and they've disappeared so let's pray to that end. Great news on the leg length as that's very encouraging. Many aren't as lucky.

I'll bet lunch with a freind will help ease any anxiety you're feeling today. Your friend is taking time out of their day, to spend with you, because they love and care about you......a moodlifter in itself!

Hopefully your boyfreind and you continue to build on your relationship. While your relationship may be tested in all of this.... it could be stronger in the end.

Wishing you a day of comfort and peace!
@leenie60
 
@leenie60 Stupid incision!
I'm sorry but you know that 4-6 weeks is prime time for post op depression, so like a menstrual cycle, wants to make every little crisis a HUGE bio-hooing event. Really I hate it for you. I had a few melt downs and it's hard to shake that funk if everyone else around you isn't super patient. (Imagining my better half walking on egg shells being taught by now better than to say "what's wrong" or "are you OK?")
Answer: what isn't wrong and DO I LOOK LIKE I'M OK?
Hang in there....it's gonna get better. Love love your way:roseshwr:
 
@leenie60 congratulations and ugh drainage, I'm so sorry. It must be a mess, and I would think the OS would order you a home nurse for sure! Definitely fit-pitching territory.

Otherwise, since you are really familiar with the drill, you are a pro now! Always remembering that no two hips are the same, I wish you a very swift and easy recovery, drainage or no!
 
Today is a better day for sure. There is still some drainage but yesterday the VNA cancelled PT and sent a wound specialist instead. Now I am sporting a super absorbent moisture wicking bandage that can hold up to 4 lbs of fluid!! You can see there has been some seepage into the bandage but this sucker should do the job for sure. The image is bottom to top because I'm sitting.

I opted to use the sage bath cloths and forego a shower for now since unless i wrap the bandage it is water repellent not waterproof. I dunked my head under the kitchen faucet to wash my hair.

I slept all night last night, got up at 6 and by 7 was sound asleep in my recliner for a couple hours.

PT came before lunch, all looks good and we stuck with the basics so as not to stir up the wound drainage.

While I didnt get to see my man yesterday we did talk a couple times. He has family challenges of his own to deal with. We all have lives filled with stuff to deal with.

Thanks for your unwavering support!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left one is done - and right one too!
    15052420172031596731043.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 292
Great you're having a better day! @leenie60
Holy Moly a bandage that holds 4 lbs of fluid. That's crazy!
Sorry...I couldn't help but laugh when I read that. I'm thinking
back to a really soaked disposable baby diaper. Remember how
heavy those things could be....haha!

Aaah! A good night's rest and things always seem better. Great you got sleep.
I'm sure all will work out with your guy. If he's under stress and your under stress....that's a lot
of stress! All relationships take work. Also, some men are better caregivers than others.
Just as some women are. It may be more difficult for some to see the ones they love "not being themselves."

Best wishes for a peaceful night and patience till ALL falls into place.
Now don't be filling that dressing to wet diaper weight....lol!
 
@Layla I'm glad you laughed because the prospect of filling this thing is preposterous and laughable but it sure is comforting knowing there are options for such circumstances.

As for your words of wisdom on the relationship side, thank you. It sure doesn't get any easier as we get older. Mostly, because life itself is complicated.
 
@leenie60 What Layla said!! That is indeed a great amount of weight-- I'm thinking, back when your kid could go in the pool with a regular diaper on, and the diaper would weigh more than the kid! I'm glad you don't have to worry about "break-through leakage" as it were. Hoping the incision decides to stop draining very soon!

Your good sleep+nap sounds like me in early days-- I'd get up, have breakfast, and lie down to elevate and nap. Zonk!

Every day a little improvement! :)
 
Had to call the doctor about my bandage... again. It smelled. I didnt think it was infected, I thought the fluid that was sitting in the behemoth bandage was foul. I was right. My neighbor helped put on a fresh bandage. I had unopened sterile water and sterile bandages so she cleaned up the loose gunk around the wound and reapplied a fresh dressing. The attached pic is after it was cleaned. It's pretty macerated but in a few more days the staples will be out and there will be no more bandage.

This is 8 days out.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left one is done - and right one too!
    20170915_142214.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 304
Oooowwweeee. I remember mine. It looked wicked.
It's gonna be better very soon.
Now my hip hurts.:sad:
Love us:curtsey:
 
OMG! Ouchie, wa wa! @leenie60
I need to acquire an appreciation for scars......Nope...just can't! Lol!
I need to view it as a beautiful thing that was a means to resolving your pain, restoring your mobility,
giving you your life back......I'm really trying......it's not working! Hate scars, especially staples. It hurts to look at it.

Scar and kidding aside, wishing you a great weekend. Hoping your pain is well managed and you get some love, hugs and kisses from your family and your guy.
Hugs!
 
Only been 2 months...you are gonna get good.
Oh my stars, it is hard to be patient. :tantrum2:
Thinking of you and hope you have a peaceful weekend.
 
Had to change my bandage again last night due to water getting in when I showered. I am now on my 5th bandage! I am so thankful for my neighbor who dropped off her extra sterile gauze and waterproof bandages.

Tomorrow the staples come out and my poor, poor macerated skin can start to heal. The irritated skin extends well beyond my incision and allllll the way around.

To make matters worse I have developed a deep groin pain making it difficult to walk. I'm not sure what happened but it kicked in when I went for a walk yesterday morning and has not really let up since. I can move my hip in and out and kick back (couple inches) and do a little marching movement. Those feel fine it's pressure on the joint that hurts. I deem it a setback and a bummer. I didn't have this last time and I'm hoping it will be short lived. Dr will taken X-rays tomorrow so fingers crossed its just ligaments etc. Today, I rest and take it easy.

Tomorrow tropical storm Jose moves in and I live in the watch area I.e., 40-60 mph wind with couple inches of rain possible. I'll enlist help in securing potential flying objects.
 
Yes please do enlist help...hope all will get better. I had some serious groin pain but I didn't know if that was because of double replacement and can't remember exactly when it eased. Seems like it would bother me or flare up and maybe it was with certain activity? Really cannot remember. Guessing it's just recovery stuff. Zauberflote says her two recoveries were totally different so don't be fretting, ya here?:nah:
 
@Mojo333 trying not to fret even though it feels worse than before surgery. You said you don't know when yours let up which tells me that it has let up and I am so happy to hear that. It gives me hope!
 
Congratulations on another successful surgery. New knees, new hips - you will be all set to conquer anything once this heals and these other diversions get under control. It will be reassuring to go to the doctor, get the bandage off and hear all is well. I think you went through a record number of bandages with this one! How frustrating. I agree with all the comments about the mood swings. When you are recovering and unable to do the things you want plus not getting the rest you might need (and that is a lot of rest as you recover) and dealing with personal issues, it quickly gets depressing but it won't last and that's the good part. It sounds like you are getting everything under control. Sending happy healing wishes your way for a speedy recovery!! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom