Guest viewing is limited

THR Left one is done - and right one too!

3 weeks tomorrow and doing really well. Sometimes I get up once during the night other nights not at all.

My incision is healing well and my pain is minimal. I am mostly taking Tramadol and Zipsor (anti inflammatory). I've taken a hydrocodone here and there.

I went out last night for 3 hours with couple guys from work. As expected, by the time I got home my hip was screaming at me but it was more achy than painful. Took some meds and put myself to bed to relax before sleep.

I'm feeling it will be a good couple weeks before I consider going back to work and expect it will be before the 6 wk mark.

All in all this is so much easier than knees but for those who haven't had knees, it is traumatic but definitely manageable.

If I had to pick one challenge ir would have to be my inability to tie my shoes. I can get those and my socks on (with my sock device) but cant bend over to snug my elastic laces or adjust tje tongue of my shoes. In time, in time.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left one is done - and right one too!
    15022039453231142617516.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 183
Aileen @leenie60 hey there! It sounds like you are doing really well! I love the part where you only get up once or even "nonce" at night-- you are a better sleeper than I, hands down! Has all the tape/whatever come off your incision? I have this tape stuff that fuses with your skin-- it will be November before the last of it falls off LOL.

You are an inspiration to me, one day behind you!!
 
Looks great leenie. Love that you are progressing well.
Keep it slow and easy...best wishes!
 
@zauberflöte the glue has not come completely off yet so I find myself picking at it. There is one "pucker" of the incision that has a little more and Im leaving that alone.

Just last night I was thinking that it might be a good idea to get the other one done at the 6 wk mark and just get it over with and stay out of work until Oct instead of going back to work and going out again in December. Decisons, decisions

Also, I called for a tramadol script yesterday and it was not at the pharmacy like they said it would be and my surgeon hasn't even given me any of that yet so not sure what the deal is I need to call them this morning.
 
@leenie60 I think your progress is ok. Right now you can concentrate on ankle pumps and the other simple exercises. As for being able to put on socks....tieing shoes, take your time. After 6 weeks , you will often be surprised that your did something you not been able to do. While cleaning my room yesterday I was surprised at how easily I was getting down and up on one knee (can I call it "proposing position"). I prefered to kneel on the surgery leg.
 
Depends on how your feeling and what the surgeon thinks.
Lots of people get that 2nd one done after 6 weeks.
Just imagine. All done and dusted, no waiting around in pain.
Sounds like a plan.
Joe....
 
I am going for it. Looks like 9/6 will be the day. I am finding myself naturally going one foot over the other on stairs with no instability. The doc knew I wanted them both done and since I am a good healer and the left is proving to be the same, migjt as well. Got my bosses blessing, as a courtesy, now Im waiting for confirmation.

I've undergone 2 major surgeries within months of each other on two other occasions and those were fine. The hips are not under general so all should be good. I would anticipate going back to work in Oct.

Don't get me wrong, im still using toilet riser and am careful about the 90° rule but I am also not holding myself back. If I can do something safely, I'll do it. But i also won't do anything stupid like pick a laundry basket up off the floor.

Like I said to my boss I am in recovery mode so it will be easier to psych myself for the other in 4 weeks than it will be to go back to work and psych myself up again in 5 months. Here is to hoping the doctor agrees!

Thanks everyone.
 
Great leenie60. I think it'll be some tough but then done. I know you'll be happy to have all finished. Sending prayers for all to be uneventful
 
2 days shy of 4 weeks. I am pleased with my progress. I set a goal of 3000 steps and met that a couple days in a row. Moved it to 3500 and met it once and was close today and may have achieved it. I dont have my cell phone on me every time I get up at home so it is fair to say I can add an additional 500-1000 to my number.

I am walking more and more without my cane and feeling really well even went to the races again this wknd. Bleachers are tough even with a seat so many trips to walk around over the course of the night.

Today I went to the grocery store, vacuumed my bedroom and living room, went for a short walk, walked down to the basement a couple times and started a load of towels then sat and iced and relaxed the rest of the day mostly. Overall I give this recovery a big thumbs up! Mind you when i do these things I am careful of my body position and pretty much adhere to the 90° restrictions while also listening to my body.

Lastly, I am confirmed for right hip replacement on 9/6 and will probably start a new thread for that recovery. 3 more weeks of recovery on this side!!

Cheers
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left one is done - and right one too!
    20170814_191753.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 162
You are healing beautifully leenie60. So happy for you...eat well, keep that immune system pumping. By the end of the year you will be hippy hippy shaking...right into the new year!!!!
 
I officially have scar envy! That is a beautifully healed scar for not quite a month out.
Congrats on the recovery also, sounds as though you're doing great. You've got this surgery thing down.
Continued healing and well wishes on the upcoming surgery. See if you can top that scar next time....
I'll be watching..... @leenie60
 
good report @leenie60 !! So glad you get to get the other one out of the way before it causes the current new one to give you grief from compensating!! And I too have scar envy. I'm still stuck to the tape, and I mean that literally! It will be with me for MONTHS! and so as it crinkles up when I sit (anterior), everything under it gets irritated. I wonder if anteriors are messier in healing, just because of where they're situated? My other one is still wider than I'd expected, and it's 4 years old! Maybe it's that I am old.......................................... who me?
 
@leenie60
Hi just reading your posts. I just had my second LTHR 7/28 had my right done in April so pretty close together. I thought I could wait years but realised that my right hip was feeling so great I could not deal with anymore pain from left which was not as bad as right. Also met deductible and figured I would rather have them done close together and get healing than doing this next year. I am doing good and I thank everyone on this site for advise. The journey is a process but I am on the road to being better..
 
@leenie60
Hi just reading your posts. I just had my second LTHR 7/28 had my right done in April so pretty close together. I thought I could wait years but realised that my right hip was feeling so great I could not deal with anymore pain from left which was not as bad as right. Also met deductible and figured I would rather have them done close together and get healing than doing this next year. I am doing good and I thank everyone on this site for advise. The journey is a process but I am on the road to being better..

That is so great to hear that you are doing well and were motivated for the same reasons that I am. If we can manage it and the doctor is good with it it's a good move.
 
As I continue to heal and prepare for the next round, one additional thing I did to help myself out was I bought a can of spray on moisturizer! It has been so helpful. It's bad enough we can't reach below our knees very well that having to go without body lotion was yet another blow. Low and behold there was a solution for that! Every little thing that we can learn and share just might be useful to someone else.

Cheers
 
That is genius! Love you for that tip. I never realized there was such a thing but I'll be out looking tomorrow.
Trying to put lotion on the bottom half of my leg is difficult. I even bought this gadget from Amazon that basically looks like a back brush you'd use in the shower, only instead of a brush it's a hard foam piece attached that is supposed to help you apply lotion. Yeah...right! It's awkward and allows you to apply lotion AND THEN LOOK AT IT! Haha....someone saw me coming! You can maneuver it around to try and get the lotion to absorb but it's laughable!

Continued healing to you. Sounds like you're doing great. Wishing you luck on the. Ext surgery as you know we'll be here cheering you on!
 
As I continue to heal and prepare for the next round, one additional thing I did to help myself out was I bought a can of spray on moisturizer! It has been so helpful. It's bad enough we can't reach below our knees very well that having to go without body lotion was yet another blow. Low and behold there was a solution for that! Every little thing that we can learn and share just might be useful to someone else.

Cheers
 
That's a great idea! I was just looking at my legs and they are so dry leaving dust on my ted stockings. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom