THR Left one is done - and right one too!

Hey leenie60.
I had a couple of rashes, a big bruise and a blister they cleared up the first couple of weeks.
Your immobile leg will slowly start moving over the next while.

Don't let the PT push you too hard either.
Your doing great so far.
Joe....
 
Hi @leenie60
I never had any skin rash or swelling but my right foot was asleep for about a week before it fully woke up, he told me it was from the boot they put on so tight. wishing for you that it all clears up soon, a week can make a huge difference!
Healing vibes to you !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The rashes are less irritating and nothing new has developed so as I suspected they were a result of surgery. They never tell you about these sorts of things. I, for one, will be showing the doctor my pics. I think its important he understand we are dealing with more than an incision.

Sunday Funday!
 
each day gets a bit easier but it does take a lot of patience. Just be sure to rest, ice and elevate and you will be walking around just fine before you know it!
 
My butt is sore this morning. I spent the entire night in my bed. I slept okayish. I was up at least once and turned to my side a couple times being extra careful to turn my entire body and not rotate my torso. I'm a little nervous about sleeping on my unaffected side, but I am diligent about keeping a pillow between my legs. The doctor said it didn't have to be a big pillow but I still don't want to break any restriction guidelines. It's a bit of a relief as a side sleeper to be able to rollover. The hip felt sore, but nothing popped.

For me it almost seems better to spend part of the night in my bed and the remainder in my chair so that I can adjust my position better but it seems like a lot of effort moving back and forth.

I've been up a little over an hour and since my sleep was somewhat restless, it's NAP time. My favorite time of every day.

I actually sort of want to ditch the walker at least at times. I feel stable enough to walk without assistance, but it's probably just not a good idea at this point. Today is 6 days out. I'll see how I feel later in the day when I've been up and down a few times. If nothing else, I'll switch between walker, crutch and/or cane.
 
Hey Aileen! @leenie60 I'm catching up finally (I have the exact same nap attack as you do-- close the eyes and it's two hours later!) and managing to find some other people who've gone before me.

I did wonder if the bladder thing had to do with the spinal if you had one? Many years ago I had two lady surgeries, and after both of them I had the sensation that my bladder held twice as much before telling me about it. I LOVED that, as I've always been on the Frequent Pee-er list, but both times it went away. Boo hoo.....

I have really dry skin, prone to eczema in cold weather, and after my first hip the skin on both legs became flaky and scaly, falling off in drifts of dandruff ICK. This time I had to wash with the special soap three times (not just one), and I'm afraid I'm going to have scaly skin in spades this time around.

Do exactly what you are comfortable with the safety of, re that walker. My first hip I ditched the walker about day 7, and the cane 5 minutes after that because it put me uncomfortably off balance. This time, I can hardly use the walker, as we live in a non-ranch house. So to use it, I'm constantly hauling it around corners, through tight spaces, up and down stairs, keeping it out of hubby's and son's ways,,,,,,fagedaboudit. We'll just go with the cane. Cane works better when worked with the right hand and arm-- evidently they are enough stronger to help! In the other house, I only used the cane for self defense. Here it's still early days, and it does help with a little extra support when the hip is tired. I have noplace to cut loose and walk straight for more than 5 steps in a row, unless I go out on the deck in the 95 degreeF weather. Naahhh, I'll give that a pass today.

Ha! I just fell asleep and dreamed I was in a movie palace, and had to fling the film canister from the floor up to the projection booth. As I woke, my right arm was doing the side-arm throwing motion I'd use to do that!:rotfl:
 
Good read @zauberflote !! I agree the walkers can be difficult to navigate in tight spaces. I live in a ranch but the hallway is fairly narrow, my bed had to be shifted to accommodate it etc. I pace the house for minutes at a time.

Oh and the bladder issue has cleared, thank God... My skin is a bit flaky since they scrubbed the **** out of it after 2 Sage wipe pretreatments. All of the other rashes etc have started healing and no new issues have cropped up other than my back being itchy.

My daughter is being over protective and doesnt think i should attempt to walk without assistance. I'll oblige her for at least the 1st week. PT comes again tomorrow amd Ill see what he says.

Glad you are on the mend. Today was rainy and cool up here in CT so it was another lazy sleepy kinda of day.
 
Hi @leenie60, sounds like you're doing quite well, I hear you about ditching the Walker, I was walking very early on, when I felt strong I would just make sure I had a wall or counter to lean on or one crutch, sometimes I would use Walker sometimes I would use nothing, when I went outside for a walk I always brought my crutches. At 2 1/2 weeks out I use nothing and have not been using anything as an aid for about a week, feeling stronger all the time. Keep up the good work your body will tell you what you can and can't do. Rainy and cold here in Vermont to, what's a good day to just kind of chill, do puzzles, and watch TV.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Update - more rashes. One broke out on my back 2 nights ago and last night one broke out on my knee and spread. Not regular small reddish bumps but large welts that seemed to be under the skin. On top of that my bandage started leaking and i had to go have it changed. The oncall doc thought it was serous fluid but it turns out water had somehow gotten in and even though I hadnt showered since Monday morning, it started finding it's way out through the lower bandage late yesterday . By that time the seal on the bandage was gone. One other thing is my female parts are on searing itchy fire!!! OMG way too much at one time. Have a call into my gp for that one.

My wound is large and not only glued but I have a rump full of staples. It looked good aside from being wet, thankfully. Back next week to have those removed.

Doc tried to tell me the rashes are from the narcs as another way to not dispense a refill. I said nonsense im not allergic to this. I get itchy from percocet not 5mg hydrocodone and even if i do get itchy I never get a single rash nevermind multiple different rashes. He wants me to go 6-8 hours between doses. We'll see. He did provide a refill. Aside from all the **** going on, the hip feels pretty well. Added a few gentle exercises which I do a couple to few times a day as well as walking around the house. I anticipate ditching the walker in next day or so and switching to the cane.

To be continued....
 
Hi leenie60..glad things are getting better. I slept for the first hour in bed then had to get into my beloved recliner. I also loved my naptime. Really is the best thing for you except the getting up and trying to move after being there a bit.
I really didn't need to use my walker to walk for long, but on day 8 or 9. I got up to use the restroom which was literally right next door at my sisters where I spent my first weeks of recovery...and just caught a dizzy spell unexpectantly. I managed to lean on the wall and call for my hubby but I used the walker at night for a while after that. It was probably meds...but I reallydid not want to fall...
Darn that rash. You arent on antibiotics or anything? Some kind of yeast infection thing? I dont know but I feel for you because I only like dealing with one crisis at a time any more. Dont have the emotional capitol to have all of it at once. Told my 21 year old daughter, and 25 year old son prior to hip surgery... no drama...no crises allowed for at least 3 months.:loll:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 Life is pretty crisis free here in general but I totally agree, individually each is no big deal but after and as a result of major surgery it compounds it 10 fold.

I had iv antibiotics in hospital but didnt come home with any. So between the heat of the summer, the warmth in the hospital and the hot and cold spells at home it all adds up to one big hot mess in the warm moist areas.... and showering every other day so far. Think I'll have to do a panty change 2x a day - all this on top of being sleep deprived, sore and recovering from anesthesia! It makes me an emotional wreck.

I def use my walker at night and have a couple of night lights lit even though I know the way. Falling or tripping would not be welcome!!

My 24 year old daughter has been so helpful. Sje gets it since last summer she was 7 weeks non-weight bearing after ankle reconstruction. My 21 yr old son is less helpful but he was very helpful the 1st wknd home. He has a life to live afterall! Kids

It was good you were able to rehab at your sisters. My closest sis is in the midst of remodeling a new house and hasnt had time to be around but she will have some time tomorrow to pop in.
 
My children are also 24 and 21!!! Boy and girl but opposite ages from yours.
Would blame it on age but 21 daughter was very helpful...son not so much, but he was graduating from college the week after my surgery. I couldn't even go...
But yeah, kids
Hope things ease up...:groan:
 
Just had an outing with my daughter. We went to the local Home Goods which always fun to browse around. Picked up some healthy recovery snack food high in fiber or protein and full of deliciousness! Couple trips to the bathroom (if I wanna get things moving all I have to do is walk into a store) later and I am sufficiently walked and a tad tired.

Sitting here now icing and contemplating lunch and a nap.

The weather is spectacular I just wish I could truly enjoy it. I am truly grateful for where I am and have so much to be thankful for (including central AC) regardless of all my blasted joint issues.

Last day if July....
 
Aileen @leenie60 huh! Your tag of me up there never made an alert for me, but now I know where to really find your recovery, and that (to answer my question over on the other thread) you have indeed been out! Those rashes are bizarre, and I hope things clear up ASAP!! I discovered one possible reason for my flaky skin-- they give you meds to seriously dry you out if you are having general anaesthesia, as I did both times. This time my tongue came back to me full of very deep fissures and quite sore! So I'm expecting to lose alot of alligator skin at some point.

We here in central VA are having that gorgeous weather. Yesterday was absolutely perfect! Today hotter, but still lovely. My main recuperation nest is on the sunporch, so I hear the birds and cicadas and crickets and all, and see everything. Only a step out onto the deck for a little perambulation, too.

I just got a paper survey to fill out from my hospital, "how did we do?" kind of thing. I remember about 2% of what happened at the hospital pre- and post-op, so I'm going to be less than useful on this survey. I don't even remember if I ordered any food!!!! It's very strange, as I have a few complete memories of my first hip, same hospital! They must have pumped me full of amnesiacs, and they really lasted.
 
Glad to see your post. Know you are still during the super fun period.
Sounds like you are doing your best to take care of yourself. Wishing you all the best!
 
Oh ugh @leenie60 yes, that is exactly the type of stuff they DO need to hear. I really don't remember much, although you jogged my memory there. My pain was addressed very well, it's just that I kept throwing it all up! I kind of think I remember them putting a tylenol in my IV, maybe, and after the second throwup, she gave me another oxycodone pill, which really helped. Thank goodness. But I still don't remember it clearly! You do, though, which counts against your team :hairpulling:

The ridiculous thing is, the survey asks, and I pretty much quote: Did nurses and other staff do everything they could to manage your pain? Well, how would I know??! I don't know what is in their power to do or not do! Did they call 911? I don't think so, but they could have done, couldn't they? LOLOL.
 
@zauberflöte I just got back from my postop appt and I made it very clear to him that it was completely inadequate that I wasn't the one in control they were and that I was relying on them to take care of me. He listened. I told him I had had 4 previous inpatient experiences and that coming off that spinal was by far the worst ever!

If I am going to do this again (Dec) he needs to know that that as well as all of the skin reactions are not unimportant. I've just met him recently since he hasnt been my primary orthopedic so he doesnt know me or my history. I didn't point fingers but was very clear and confident making my point.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom