Guest viewing is limited

PKR Left Knee in

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jacs65, how are you doing with lifting your leg?

I just had a tough PT session, still can't lift my leg when sitting or laying down. My PT said that anything involving the patella makes it extremely challenging and takes a while. My OS never discussed that, he kept saying how much easier a partial was for recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some people find the leg lifts are quite tricky and it will happen later on. Don't lose heart, it will happen but the knee takes its time. Partials are supposed to be easier than full ones but lots of people who have them seem to take just as long to recover so maybe it's an indicator of a shorter recovery but it won't necessarily happen. And remember you are only about 10 days into your recovery.
 
@JennyLynne Good to hear that you went through a tough PT session :yay: sure it did not feel good during it but I find its the little accomplishments that make you think 'you're getting there'

I find that with lots of concentration and if I do my 'good leg' first my left leg copies. Lying down I can lift it 2 inches and sitting up I can lift it right up :happydance:but not without pain, so only do it once.

How are your exercises going, which do you find the most challenging?

There were two things I remember my OS saying to me;
1) "You'll not want to see me before 6 weeks, you will have too much dislike for me" That made me laugh (at the time)
2) Recovery from Partial is almost identical to Full - has your OS had a knee replacement? Reckon not!

Hope your week is going OK, how's the sleeping going? I'm still downstairs and sleeping half sitting up.
 
@jacs65 i see my OS next Wednesday and i hope I don't want to smack him! (He is very handsome at least, haha)

I have found most of the exercises challenging but not painful, with the exception of simply trying to lift my heel off the floor. While seated, I do heel slides, ankle pumps and those dreaded lifts. Standing, i toe touch a ball he hold out in front of me, work on stairs, and some balance exercises.

I sleep in bed, propped up with a ridiculous amount of pillows! I so mis side-sleeping!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne I am waiting for a letter saying when I see my OS but it will be about six weeks. What is it about OS mine too was pretty handsome and my anaesthetist was hot!

I so miss sleeping on my side, can't wait for that day.

So with the balancing exercises, do you balance on your bad leg? Sounds like you are doing really well.
 
My anesthesiologist was hot too!! Or maybe it was the meds? ;)

The balance exercises are while holding onto the walker for dear life!! Don't be impressed, haha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi! Just about to stop at Reading services for a coffee on our way to the Cotswolds! Sending you good wishes from the M4!! Will wave as we go past Reading!
 
Just checking-in to see how things are going? You haven't posted for a few days - hope everything is ok? Just over two weeks into your recovery - well done!
 
@Raffs Hello, thank you :) just been very busy with visitors.
Had one day where my neighbours trickled in most of the day, work colleagues collected me yesterday and took me for afternoon tea; so nice to get out of the house. Finding myself utterly shattered when visitors have gone mind.

Sleep still seems to evade me, I am managing (at the most) two lots of 2 hours, but as I mentioned before I just get up and occupy myself.
Knee feeling good, to the point today where I have just taken my first lot of meds (5.30pm). Thought I would try paracetamol and ibuprofen during the night rather than the day. The knee has been mildly uncomfortable without any painkillers today and managed my exercises. Knee Flexion 87 or thereabouts.

So I am two days into my third week, I am using one stick both in and outside the house and gingerly on the stairs.
How was the Cotswolds by the way?

@JennyLynne - hello how are you doing?
 
Great that you got out! Just had my first outing, to the doctor. I wrote long-winded post in my thread.

I am still not steady enough for one crutch or a cane, but I find 2 crutches to be much more pleasant than the walker!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @jacs65 - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Wow - amazing that you got out for afternoon tea just 2 weeks after surgery - that's great. Did you have to sit there with your leg elevated?

And no painkillers during the day now either?? Just paracetamol and ibuprofen at night? You're doing so well!

What heavy duty meds were you on and for how long?

When you say stick do you mean walking stick or crutch? Did you use a walker at all? Did the hospital hire/give you these or did you get them from somewhere yourself? The hospital I'm going to said they'll sell me crutches for £8.50 each! No idea if this is a good price or not?!

I must say I'm really inspired by your recovery - it's definitely making me slightly less nervous.

From everything I've read on here it seems that sleep is a huge problem for lots of people but it does improve after a while. I still like your idea of 24 hour days and sleeping whenever you can.

Cotswolds was lovely thanks. Ate far too much of course and couldn't walk far to burn it off due to knees but did manage a little swimming. That'll be it for me now in terms of breaks or holidays until I'm on the "other side"!
 
@Raffs Hello, yes getting out was lovely, but I did go well prepared; ice packs with knee cuff and painkillers. I did spend the entire afternoon with my leg elevated (discreetly)

I appear to have taken a couple of steps back today, I have read this on many posts. Yesterday was a really good day and only needed ice, took painkillers during the night but sleep still did not come.
Today knee has been painful all day and painkillers needed every four hours religiously, so kept my knee up and iced it lots, watched a few more episodes of Prison Break and more crocheting.

Regarding the meds; Dihydrocodeine (painkillers) and Diclafenac (anti-inflammotry) at night and regular paracetamol and ibuprofen during the day. On leaving hospital I was also required to take anti-coagulants and omprezole, but finished those now.

I used a walking frame for the first day in hospital, then moved on to two sticks (exactly the same material as crutches but without the arm cuff bits) and left hospital with these (not charged) Now using one stick. I have never heard of being charged for these. Why not look on Ebay, Preloved, Gumtree or Freecycle for a set? I am sure someone will have some.

I have to admit I did over think the whole surgery and recovery and expected the absolute worst. Both have been far better then I ever imagined. The only element I was not expecting (but did read about) was the complete lack of sleep. I am seriously grumpy in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep (good job other half upstairs) but I get up and make myself a cup of tea and crochet or watch TV.

Cotswolds sounded lovely, I am a firm believer in it's not a real break unless you eat lots :) Apparently knee recovery great for weight loss, I have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks!
Do you have a date for surgery yet?
 
I was expecting weight loss too, but was disappointed when I checked the scale yesterday. Then I remembered all of the comfort I seek from food, plus my husband being in charge of most meals. Given those facts, I should be relieved I haven't gained weight!
 
Sorry to hear about your minor set back on Thursday. How're you doing now? I've read on here a lot that the knee grumbles the day after it's owner has been out and about!

How did the trip to the hospital go and did you find out if it's a boy or a girl? How exciting!

So only paracetamol and ibuprofen during the day? Nothing stronger? That's really good. I'm concerned about meds because I was pretty rough from the meds after the arthroscopy in Feb so want to avoid the nausea and sickness if I can.

Good idea re crutches etc. I'm seeing the PT on Monday so will ask him for advice and suggestions. He'll also know what the hospital can and can't provide.

How's the sleeping now? Are you still having problems? From what I've read on here a lot of people say that sleep improves from about 3-4 weeks onwards.

Great news re the weight loss!! I lost about 7lbs after the surgery in Feb so hoping for the same again this time :heehee:

Surgery booked for June 30th. Pre-op on June 24th. Now starting to get myself ready.....

When do you go back to work? I'm hoping to be ready to go to a conference about 10-11 weeks after the op. I won't go if I'm not ready but think its good to have a goal. I'll work from home once I feel up to it, been working from home since early Feb when pain stopped me using the tube with confidence and when I couldn't manage the 8 flights of stairs in the office (no lift).
 
Good day today, so much so managed some gardening (no heavy digging I might add) but did ice the knee every hour or so. No painkillers at all today, will start building paracetamol and inbruprofen up this evening to get me through the night. Slept better last night and on my side at times. Iced knee during most of the night.
Approaching week 4 next week so hoping sleeping improves, like @JennyLynne I'm not sleeping really during the day at the moment but to be fair I don't have the howling dog issue (ouch)
My son and his partner are having a girl, my son is utterly over the moon its wonderful to see :loveshwr:

Good news on surgery date, be sure to work on upper body strength too, that will help enormously.

I'm a teacher so as I have been signed off for 10/12 weeks I do not need to be back until September. I do however plan to start working from home next week and maybe go into work first week in July if I am driving by then.
But I do find if I have a busy morning I'm pretty shattered in the afternoon, so we'll see.
8 flights of stairs blimey, they'll also cause problems going back to work! I can go upstairs normally now (albeit v slowly) but down is very cautious.

Latest news; walking around house and garden today with no stick :wowspring:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JennyLynne I meant to ask how the driving is going? Do you need to use your left foot at all? That is one thing that worries me a little...depressing the clutch!
 
I am so excited at becoming a Grandmother (aka Nanna) I didn't envisage I'd become one at 50 but heck who cares, I certainly don't. Roll on October :yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom