Guest viewing is limited

PKR Left Knee in

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Raffs Pre- op PT is an excellent idea, I made sure my knee and surrounding muscles were as good as they could be and knee allowing prior to surgery. Like you I had got myself into a pretty state over the surgery and really it was due to the unknown. All I would say is immediately after the op, whilst in hospital things were really good and I was very very well looked after.
Now at home I move around very well on two sticks but rest a lot and walk around the house for 5-7mins every hour and then the exercises, which I am finding very hard.
Do keep reading all on here, because you will learn a lot and will help you plan mentally and physically.

@Littlelady58 Your dates are helpful and how you are feeling, is it right that two weeks post op is a bit of milestone in terms of pain? I am exactly one week post op :yes:
I like the 'goals' idea, I have started making lists for when I am at that stage, in the meantime I am catching up on Prison Break and my Crocheting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jac65 one week!!! Hard to believe, it's been a blur, and I've slept they far too much of it.

PT yesterday was the first encouraging experience I've had. My quads are still so weak from the surgery, but I saw some signs of life at last! Going to try to step down the meds from percoset to Norco today so I'm less "out of it" and can do a little work from home.

You movement and independence is fantastic, I can't wait to be able to get around better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne good luck stepping down on the meds, but definitely don't rush work stuff and brilliant news on the PT. It is such tiny steps, I still think when I do my exercises my quads will never be the same. But reading all the posts you know it will all come back given time....

I'm going to try and sleep downstairs in our recliner chair tonight, I cannot get comfortable in the bed but I can nap quite successfully in the chair during the day.

Keep strong, how's your bruising? Mine is pretty extensive over my entire leg and pretty colours!
 
Switching meds turned out to be a bad idea, not because of pain, but because I've been dizzy all day. Percoset made me drowsy but not dizzy. Norco.... Whoa! Talked to my doctors office and they said it may just be my body. It can happen.

I don't have bad bruising. I'm surprised how "not bad" my leg looks. The color isn't great, but not too awful. It's funny, my 3 yr old son loves to look at a picture of my leg, but won't look directly at it. Kids!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The recliner helped me stay on my back. No tossing or turning, which I knew the knee wasn't up to. I slept well in the recliner.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 Yes that's what I thought, I've always slept on my side and the knee is definitely not up to that :bignono:
How is your recovery going Jean?

@JennyLynne Kids are funny, my daughter (23) was very impressed, took a picture and promptly uploaded it to Instagram - she was impressed! I had a funny dizzy episode during the early hours but figured I was lying down so ran with it and hoping it was a one off as not experienced it before.
 
What exercises are you doing?

I'm an avid reader of the threads on here - often late into the night when I should be sleeping! :sleep: They are so helpful and informative.
 
I'm very pleased with my recovery. Ups and downs, but this site helped prepare me well, and it feels smooth so far.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Raffs Did you want to know what exercises am I doing post op or what did I do pre-op?
 
@Raffs No Problem.

Here is the link on the exercises I do, but only to the point of pain. I do no do 'prolonged knee stretch' and 'lying kicks' are proving almost impossible. But I do these in accordance to what my physio recommended.
broken link removed: https://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/total-knee-replacement-surgery-excercises-after#1
 
Yes that's what I thought, I've always slept on my side and the knee is definitely not up to that
I am a side-sleeper, too, but with the pain meds and the pillows and ice and such, the recliner worked quite well for me. I was on Oxycontin for a while, and I did not have a problem sleeping on my back.
 
Are you finding them generally ok to do apart from the two you mention?

How's the last day or two been overall recovery-wise? Hope all going well.
 
Ups and downs, but this site helped prepare me well,
Yep---it is all about the roller coaster ride called "recovery." Eventually the down days will get fewer and farther in between---and things will be amazingly normal again. You just have to strap yourself into the ride and understand that you will reach that destination of being fully recovered.
 
Yep---it is all about the roller coaster ride called "recovery." Eventually the down days will get fewer and farther in between---and things will be amazingly normal again. You just have to strap yourself into the ride and understand that you will reach that destination of being fully recovered.
That's exactly right 'strap yourself in' @referee54 Love that saying.
So much of this is mind set, keeping really positive and know all of it is temporary and things will improve day by day :yawn: helps hugely I think (says she 9 days into recover)

@Raffs Yes finding the exercises OK thanks and routine helps a lot, making sure pain is controlled before attempting exercises and then icing after. Sleep has been the main issue and controlling the pain at night, but last night I decided that I am in 24 hr days, no nights and sleep comes whenever I grab it. I think when you have such a major operation the 'normal' day goes out the window and if I am up watching Prison Break and Crocheting at 2.00am that's fine and I will sleep at 11.00am perhaps...

Flexion today is 90 degrees. :egypdance:
 
@jacs65 Well done with the ROM of 90 degrees. You have a great attitude which will really help you. Just going with the flow is good and the sleep thing will happen for you eventually. :ice: Glad you are loving the ice!
 
Sounds like you've got it all going really smoothly apart from the zzzzz's but love your idea of 24 hour days. Everybody on here says that sleep is a major issue but you've got a good attitude to it. Brilliant flexion already - well done! Got provisional surgery date of June 30th.......gulp....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom