PKR Left Knee in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first PKR on right leg medial was done 2 years ago - I still have a numb patch on the lateral side. I think it will always be like that now. It will be interesting to see if my new left medial PKR is the same.
I can't wait to get walking with two new knees! I think it's going to be good. I love Pilates but I'm wondering how long it will be before I can get back to it - and how I will get up off the floor!
 
Your comment about how to get off the floor made me laugh.

That I find a challenge when I have finished my exercises. Currently the only way I can do this is roll my body over onto foot (operated leg) and knee (good leg) and use my hands in a press up position to get into a standing position. Some days I find this hard, when I'm tired and could easily just stay on my back until my other half arrives home to help me up! Lol
 
To treat myself after this no-fun recovery, I may sign up for some reformer pilates classes, if only to avoid the floor as well!! I always found the reformer to be such a good way to stretch and strengthen, easily modified to one's own ability. I haven't done it in years, mostly due to time/money constraints after having a child. I miss it!! I'm not getting back on the tennis court any time soon, nor kick boxing. Can you imagine??!
 
The thought of tennis or kick boxing...makes me cringe indeed! Quite liking the idea of yoga and biking though. We have a really old stationary bike up in the loft, so we are getting that down at the weekend ready for me...
 
How're you doing? What have the last few days been like? Did you see your home physio friend?

Thought it was time to check in to see what's what :yay:

Bought myself an ice cuff thing, non slip shower mat and frame for around the loo.....it's started.
 
@Raffs Hi, how are you? You sound as though you are preparing yourself well.

I've had a good day followed by a not so good day, I have been plagued by hamstring and gluteal pain. Nothing has really helped, but a better day today and good flexion.

Had better sleep last night which was lovely, followed by hot bath, followed by sleep yippee! Been massaging my scar lots with coconut oil which is pretty uncomfortable but physio said its important to break scar tissue down as much as possible.

24 days to go for you :yahoo:how are you feeing about it?
 
Anyone experienced being really cold? It's happened two mornings in a row when I wake up, literally cold to the bone. Drink two cups of tea, but no help. In the end a hot bath and soak for 30 mins was the only thing that started to warm me up.
I guess it's part of the healing process...just feels odd.
Knee flexion update - 100 degrees :wow:
 
I haven't been that cold, but earlier in my recovery, I tended to be colder that typical for me. I chalked it up to being less mobile or the rigors of healing. Yours sounds more severe than what I felt though. Have you ever had any thyroid issues? That may or may not be a factor.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
100!!!!! That's awesome! I am hanging around 90, hasn't moved much. Now that I feel better and will get out more, I think it will increase.
 
No thyroid issues, haven't had it the last few mornings. Maybe the rigours of healing....

I stuck around 90 @JennyLynne for what seemed like ages, then I found a good increase almost over night. Are you massaging the scar yet? I think that has helped also.
 
Not massaging yet, I still have a couple small scabs. Will massage once those are gone. I find my ROM peaks in the afternoon, then plummets by late evening.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes my ROM dives in the evening, find knee swells a little and gets stiff. Essentially telling me to sit down, don't hurry to massage..it hurts!

Just returned from a short trip out to a wool shop, other half dropped me off for half an hour. I walked in total no more than 500mtrs and I can honestly say my knee has quit for the day.

Suffice to say I am sitting down and icing knee, only need to be told once :thud:
 
I've had a couple of those cold mornings, @jacs65 , but not as extreme as yours. I did get up one morning and turn the gas fireplace on and wrap up with a blanket! I am impressed you are taking baths. I have a whirlpool bath and would love to use it but am afraid I couldn't get out yet. One of these days, I'll give it a try because I do think it would feel good.

I agree that those increases in flexion tend to move forward in leaps here and there rather than increasing gradually. Mine went from 110 to 120 in a week. I am getting anxious to get back to my tai chi workout but think it might be a bit soon still.

Roxie
 
Wow that's great ROM, how many weeks post op are you Roxie?

Why not go along to Tai Chi and have a chat with person that runs it and see what they think, sure you could do a bit. Just listen to what your body is telling you.

I'm managing three yoga moves throughout the day to help with lower back and hamstring discomfort. Haven't considered any more poses just yet.

Yes, I didn't think the bath through but luckily I am pretty strong through my upper body (past rock climbing hobby) and used hands and shoulders to push up on the sides to standing. A bath is soooooo good and I am never a bath person!
 
What yoga moves are you doing? I'm sure something will help my lower back, but I haven't found it yet.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
How's the sleep coming along? Hope it's improving. Are you still on regular pain meds?

Have taken your advice and added a couple of upper body exercises into my PT routine. Want to be able to haul myself around post-op.

Did you use a stick when you went out today?

Hope the weekend is going well and you're pain free and relaxing.

24 days!!!! Trying not to think about it... Of course, the knee appears to be hurting a little less the last couple of days! It's messing with my mind!!
 
@PolarBear60 Hi there, I have tried to attach links but it is not working. The three poses I do tackle my hugely tight hamstrings and uncomfortable lower back. They are chair pose, downward facing dog pose and big toe pose. I do these three as often as I do my knee exercises. Can't do any of the floor based exercises yet....

@Raffs Hello, well done on working on upper body it as helped me so much. Sleeping is improving, not every night but sleep episodes are getting longer. I now take Ibruprofen during the day now, as that is when I am most active and knee swells if I am active. At night I start taking paracetamol at 7pm, then at 11pm and take some to bed for when I wake between 3-4am.
I haven't used sticks for a week now and don't take them out with me either, but I can't walk that far anyway. I do walk about 1/4 - 1/2 mile each day.
Leading up to my operation I had no pain whatsoever, mind games indeed!
 
Thanks @jacs65 , I know downward facing dog. I think I'll have to begin chair pose against the wall, but it's doable. When I searched my yoga library (cool app) for big toe pose, "reclined leg stretch" came back. I can do that one on the bed with my yoga strap. Thank you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
OK I did a really silly thing this lunch time; had popped over to neighbours (via very low hedge between gardens as fence down) on way back place my right foot over first, foot rolled over resulting in landing on my operated knee and bending it waaaaaaaayyy too much :bawl:. It was agony and couldn't walk initially, but hobbled in and iced it.

Anyone else fallen over? Going to see how it feels in the morning before phoning doc. But thinking I just took it passed its usual ROM...ouch.
 
Ouch! I vote for lots of ice and elevation!

Knock on wood I'm surprised that hasn't happened to me yet. I tend to be very prone to doing something like that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom