THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

That’s a good couple of updates @Deni444. With my first hip, my foot had been stuck in abduction for some time but the cause turned out to be the damage to the hip, not soft tissue. Surgery fixed it, so you may find you get a better outcome.
 
Thanks @Coddfish I'm hopeful that it will resolve following surgery. The reality is they haven't done enough to know with any certainty what is going on with my soft tissue. I've had three very quick examinations where they looked briefly at range of motion by bending my legs when I'm laying down. I've had x-rays and that's it. My MSK assessment was the same with the addition of being asked to stand on my toes to assess my strength. I've never had an MRI or ultrasound. They've never examined any of my soft tissue to look for pain spots upon movement. Unfortunately it's a case of let's replace the joints and see what the outcome is because the joints are bad. On a positive note, the joints are genuinely bad so I do need them replacing and the surgeon is good.

I have to say, I've had far more support and guidance from BoneSmart than any Doctor or Surgeon. I was pulling my hair out and cried quite a few tears over it all before I came here! Thank you so much all xxx
 
Really glad you found us, @Deni444! And thank you for being such a great, active member of the community. We appreciate you!
 
@Deni444 It is, alas, a sad fact that most surgeons, while excellent in the actual replacement of joints, do not have any first hand knowledge of what it's like to actually have a joint replaced. They can medical-speak about what happens to the body, but don't know what that feels like. And as for the practical, "how do I manage" parts of healing and recuperation ... they haven't a clue!

Even 13+ years after the fact I still am so thankful for this community and the awesome "been there, done that" support!

There's an old movie "The Doctor" (based on a true story) where a surgeon has to have a surgery in his specialty (heart if I remember correctly). And as he goes through this he realizes how much he did not know about the process. And once back to his work at a teaching hospital, he has his residents actually experience some of the procedures and processes of being a patient.
 
I remember feeling so frustrated after seeing my consultant, as he only saw me for 15 minutes. I'd been waiting 6 months for the initial appointment and another 6 months for the MRI. Then to only be seen for 15 minutes seemed like such an insult. Although I will say, in contrast to your experience, he did press where my hip pain is and then announced he would refer me for injections.

I did tell him I was ticked off still being in pain. But all he could do was tell me I was in a different category bc of my hip dysplasia. Not very helpful. Fortunately my physio has been far more helpful as I've mentioned on my own thread. I'm also going to go private if the injections don't help, as like yourself, I really don't want to have to wait a long time for another appointment.

Despite my moaning though, I know we need to keep moving forward. Every small bit of progress is progress never the less!
 
I have to say, I've had far more support and guidance from BoneSmart than any Doctor or Surgeon. I was pulling my hair out and cried quite a few tears over it all before I came here! Thank you so much all
We're thankful you found us! We appreciate the support, comfort and encouragement you offer other members.
Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
 
Deni,
I feel the same. I have garnered more knowledge & support from bonesmart than anywhere else. I was not prepared to have a hip replacement so I was totally ignorant of what was needed to recover.
I actually believed PT in hospital when they told me in 30 days I’d be doing everything I did before I fell & fractured my hip! Rude awakening!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I can't belief it's been three months already....the best is yet to come!
Enjoy the weekend! :thumb:
@Deni444
 
Thanks @Layla :roseshwr:

It's not been a great week so far, I assume because I walked too far at the weekend (far isn't very far at all). I knew I shouldn't have but it was so nice to be out. It's a bit of a head scratcher because the best guidance is that walking is best for recovery but at three months walking is still something that causes a flare up. I'm trying not to get disheartened but on top of the surgeon saying there's a possibility the mobility of my left leg won't be improved, I've been a bit glum. Here's hoping I can provide a more positive update in a week. I've just received some Activator Poles that are looking promising. I'm still smiling, despite a glum undercurrent and looking forward to the weekend without crutches... Yippee!

Hope you have a lovely weekend too!
 
Update on Activator Poles

I've only had my Activator Poles for 24 hrs, so at this point I can't wholly confirm my sudden improvement. It could be a coincidence. If you've followed my thread, you'll know I have a few issues that contribute to my recovery. 1) I walked my last walk roughly a year before surgery and so was in very poor physical shape prior to surgery. 2) I have been diagnosed with developmental dysplasia, significantly effecting my right side 3) The dysplasia has contributed to unusual wearing of the right hip and subsequently caused significant soft tissue damage/malfunction. 4) I have inflammatory arthritis that will flair and seems to target the right leg most.

I mention my background because the rehabilitation poles are marketed to be a particular help to people experiencing balance issues. That's definitely me because it's incredibly difficult to maintain a good walking posture with a pelvis tilted and a leg that is no longer well aligned on the right.

I'm three months post surgery for my hip on the left. I'm pretty sure the surgery was a success the hip feels good but responds badly (uncomfortable and swelling) if I attempt to walk any distance beyond a few feet in one go. I can do repeated short distance and standing throughout the day with no issues.

I've been on crutches, not for my new hip but because of a significant limp and pain on the right side. I tried transitioning to a walking stick but couldn't find a good posture and felt nervous of tripping.

Frustrated by a continued inability to walk I have continued to try but increasingly my new hip was beginning to get quite uncomfortable over the last week or so. I had noticed a couple of times that despite thinking I was standing up straight, I was leaning over the crutches a little when walking.

I purchased the Activator Poles not really expecting anything but curious because of the advert. I have good hiking poles and had tried them but couldn't walk using them without a significant limp. The Activator poles are almost identical to standard walking poles. The only difference and it's hard to spot, is a ledge at the base of the hand grip that the side of your hand rests on. This has been designed to bear weight. Remarkably, it works and I was surprised by that. Another feature is a button lock system and this keeps the height of the pole in position when you put weight on them. I've experienced my hiking poles slide and get short before when leaning on them. You have a light grip on the handle and use the side of the hand for weight support, resting on the lip at the base of the handle shaft.. You adjust the height (using buttons) so that your forearm is 90 degrees from your upper arm. If you can picture that, when holding the poles, you are in a nice upright walking position. Apparently this posture activates the core, hence the name of the poles.

I ditched my crutches immediately, yesterday morning and started using the poles around the house. My grumbling hip calmed down within an hour. It hasn't grumbled since. I've used them for 24 hours now. My left arm above my elbow is a little sore, I guess new muscles being used. Interestingly, I can't manage as many steps before I need a rest (I try and do laps up and down my conservatory). I assume different posture means building back up again. I'm not feeling uncomfortable in my new hip after the walking though. When my husband spotted me doing my laps he commented that it was the first time he'd seen me look like I was walking properly. I questioned him on it and he noted I always looked a bit bent over on crutches. I didn't realise it was that bad!

Such early days. It's possible I've been experiencing a flair up that coincidentally calmed down at the same time I switched to Activator Poles. I'll keep you posted!
 
Last edited:
Good that so far the Activator poles appear to be helping you. I, too, have now got activator poles for balance and rehab as I tried using my normal walking poles but felt unsafe. I find I can walk a little further without pain but still three months on I still have bad hip and knee pain at night and even with codeine I wake several times. It really sounds like you were starting in a very bad place pre surgery and I'm sending you a hug :console2:
Very disheartening to have your surgeon say that there is a possibility that the left leg mobility may not improve.
 
Deni
Excellent info on the poles. I had considered walking poles in my first year of recovery for airport travel as well as walking on the beach but never did purchase. But I think it’s an excellent idea and seems the activator poles are helping you.
 
I am really pleased the Activator poles are working out, I know I have recommended them on a few threads. Their hand grip makes a huge difference over a standard hiking pole, and they are really good at getting you to walk with good posture in a well balanced way. They also pack down well into a suitcase for travelling - mine have been to France, Italy, Spain and Malaysia. I have been advised to always pack them when travelling through airports, as they are treated as sports equipment not mobility aids, and can end up getting confiscated.
 
Great news, Deni! I'm happy for you. Especially your hip calming down and the fact that hubs noticed you are walking taller is wonderful news. Take care not to overdo it. Easy enough to happen when were feeling enthusiastic about something. I did this my first day on the cane. I was so excited to ditch the walker, I practiced on the cane walking circles around my home, determined to kick the walker to the curb. Boy...did I pay the next day. Spent it on my recliner icing and resting. :groan:
Hope the weekend is a good one for you. :)
@Deni444
 
Thanks All... for your wishes and encouragement! I'm taking it slowly with my Activators, so hopefully won't overdo it. They've been out on a mission with me today though. I had to pick up a prescription, short walk from the car to the reception and back. It was a really comfortable walk and I felt as secure as on crutches. Just one little walk up my garden upon returning and again very nice to experience a walk without crutches. It reminded me of the old days of hiking with my walking poles, albeit just a few yards :)
 
@Deni444…..can you post a photo and/or video of you walking with your poles? I’d really like to see how they work.
 
I really miss doing my walks as I can also only do very short walks before my left leg starts complaining. Like you I have dysplasia so lots of muscles being asked to do things they haven't been able to do before (& quite clearly don't want to do now!)
I'd never thought about activator poles. So I think I'll order some and see if they help me.
 
@Jamie
I got pulled up for posting links to commercial sites before so won’t - but there are plenty of videos of how they work on the product site. Brand is Activator UK. Other similar poles are available.

You set them up so your arm is at a right angle when using the hand grip. You walk alternate arm to leg, as with any pole, and always use both poles. They stay in front of your hip, and you don’t let go - whereas with a Nordic pole it would go behind your hip and you would let go.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom