THR Layla's Recovery

@dougie0216
Hello,
Thanks for the encouraging words!
Just curious about something when you have time...did you also wear the compression stockings and inflatable cuffs in addition to the 2x daily aspirin regimen?

I truly believe your comment about it being easier to be the patient as opposed to caregiver. My husband and I laugh about how he doesn't even know how to locate everyday items around the house. "Where's this.....where do you keep that?" Laughter is the best medicine! Wishing you a nice holiday and continued recovery.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
WOW! Bilateral's AMAZE me!
Strong, brave souls. I can't even comprehend.
I hope you are living life to the fullest, pain free!
 
@Layla they removed my compression socks at the hospital. Said if in walking around there is no need for them. Only had the automatic cuffs on while in hospital. All the different protocols are interesting.
 
@Gone again
Hello, can't say I'm not a little envious of that! I'm not a rule breaker though so I'll just be a good lil patient and adhere to my doc's orders......for now anyway..lol! We're experiencing beautiful weather in the Upper Mid-west today, hope it's pleasant where you are.......continued healing to you!
 
@Layla We were just discussing the subject of TED hose over in the @JennyHipcakes thread.
I did not have to wear inflatable cuffs after leaving the hospital. I did take 2 aspirin a day up until Saturday. The doc said one month. Now I am down to my daily aspirin.

Some of us quit wearing the hose after various lengths of time. After my LTHR, I wore them 6-weeks. It wasn't what I would call an easy surgery/recovery.
After my RTHR, the PA told me I could take the house off at 11-days. After this surgery, I had more function in my hip and leg coming-to in recovery than I had at one month after the LTHR. However, I did not have the extensive ossification and necrosis this time, either.
Everyone and every surgery is different. I think the medical field is changing with respects to TED hose, if you are healthy and don't have heart disease or diabetes it appears to me they occasionally shorten the length of time people have to wear the hose. That is just my observation.
 
@dougie0216
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll hop on over to @JennyHipcakes and check out the info.
A great evening to you!
 
@Layla I think I had some sort of cuffs in the hospital but came home with only the compression stockings that went up to my knees. I wore them for the first two weeks and then was told I no longer needed them. I did do the foot pumps several times each day to be sure I didn't get a blood clot.

I am sorry you were feeling down earlier today. I think everyone goes through that but I can assure you that you will soon have some of your independence back. You will be surprised at how quickly you can start doing things again for yourself. After a few days I made my own breakfast (coffee and cereal) so my husband could sleep in a bit and shortly after that I started to make my lunch. It felt good to be able to do those things for myself again although in retrospec I probably should have taken advantage of the extra service for a little longer :heehee:
 
@GrannyC
Thank you for your encouragement! I'm doing okay. I was just having a "moment" this morning.
All in all my recovery is going well, I can't complain. Tomorrow is one week post op, I'm rather surprised, it kind of flew by. I'm just happy to be on the recovery side. A great holiday to you!
 
@Layla I understand about having moments. Just let the feelings come and then let them go. Then they'll come back, that's what's been happening with me. It's all part of the process from what I've read. I'm hoping for a good sleep tonight and am looking forward to getting my staples out tomorrow. I hear a thunderstorm brewing now so I may lay here and listen to it til it passes. I hope you're OK. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock
Good Morning Cheryl,
I hope this morning finds you well rested and your pain manageable. Staples out today.....that's exciting and a sign of progress. My OS used dissolvable stitches and glued my skin closed......so I was told. There is a piece of clear looking tape over my incision which I can get wet in shower, just no submersion, such as a bath. I've experienced a little prickle here and there and an occasional itch which I'm assuming is normal and part of the healing process. I got a good laugh as my sister visited yesterday and I showed her a pic of my incision from my phone. She covered her mouth, backed away and said OMG it looks like an Easter ham!! I found humor in it anyway.

I wish you a happy 4th, peaceful sleep, sweet dreams and continued healing!
 
@Layla thanks for your support. I did get an OK sleep compared to what's been happening. The last couple nights have been around 7 hours with 1 get up to the bathroom. Easter ham? I love it, hehe. I also have a pic on my phone from last week. My husband took it. I'm just having good my morning coffee and will have my breakfast. Then to find something good to wear to go to town. It's 30 minute drive to the hospital from where I live. Staple removal and physio at 1230. It's also my sons birthday, 37 years old. I wish you the best.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@Mojo333
Good Morning,
I've been trying to play catch up with the kind peeps who wished me well before surgery, you being one. My recovery has been going great! I'm one week post op today. A celebration in itself! Surprisingly it flew by even though I've viewed the world from a recliner most of the time. I'd like to get a tad more mobile this week.
I hope your recovery is progressing as it should.....I know youu're a couple months ahead of me. Bilateral's truly amaze me. I can't even begin to comprehend. I wish you continued strength, recovery and beautiful pain free days......Enjoy the holiday!
 
Hi layla you will have good days and you will have not so good days part and parcel of the recovery I'm afraid, you will get there if you remember it's not a race it's your recovery. I will echo all the info Sharon gave you vital for your rceovery .
 
@forbesy
Something funny......while in recovery a week ago today, blabbing about nothing, being a potty mouth (so I heard) I was also telling my sister and hubby about my BS buddies. One being you. I found it fascinating to get messages from other parts of the world. From, you, Scotland and Irish Joe, Ireland. I guess I kept sticking my tongue out in recovery imitating your Rolling Stone logo. My sister was amused and has reminded me of it several times over the past week. It's a holiday here (US) today, Fourth of July......so same sister sent me a Flashing Rolling Stone logo like yours, with a blinking psychedelic tongue and background. She captioned it "Happy 4th....Next year you'll be dancing to Brown Sugar". Wish you could see it, it's funny!
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Great news, Layla. You are so right about the BS crew. Diverse and full of good advice.
I agree with forbesy. You will be on a rollercoaster ride these first weeks and you need to embrace those good days, but be forewarned and don't be discouraged if things go a little sideways. Things will be coming back to life... And discomfort naturally follows.
My BS friends helped me through it all...Im proud to have 2 new hips.
I was not brave, just desperate. Definitely the right decision though!
Let us know how you are
 
@Irish Joe
Hello, I'm still playing catch up with a warm thank you to all who offered me encouraging words pre-op.
I'm eight days into recovery and all is going pretty well. I have to share as I did elsewhere that Bi-laterals amaze me. You have to be brave and strong to sign up to do this times two!! I enjoy your posts and benefit often through your comments to others. Go IRISH! I'm quite Irish myself!
 
@sharonslp
Hi Sharon,
Thank you for forwarding the article on Post Op Blues the other day. It's interesting and comforting to know its
"normal" under the circumstances. Doesn't happen often but occasionally the floodgates open. It's usually short lived. Thanks again for your encouraging words. A great rest of the week to you!
 
Layla, you are doing exactly what you should be doing and right where you should be at a little over a week.
Your body has suffered alot of trauma and needs rest more than anything!!!!
Be careful of the over ambitious goals some try to meet. We all feel we should be doing SOMETHING to hurry our recovery when we should be letting our bones, muscles, nerves, ligaments, tissues get a chance to settle and heal.
I'm not an athlete... They seem to be the ones who feel the need to meet a GOAL every day.
My goal is to let my new hips heal and then.. Then be able to do all I want without pain.
 
Back
Top Bottom