Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

@Layla my blood thinner was low dose aspirin (81mg) twice per day for one month. That was it. All I was told was to walk..no PT, no exercises, not ankle pumps or things of that sort. In speaking with many, they have all had 1 type of blood thinning/anti clot protocol. You seem to have many between the TED hose, DVT cuffs etc. From my limited knowledge, it does seem like overkill unles you have a history of blood clots. But, ultimately, it is your decision.
 
@Nivea
Thanks! Feels like overkill to me also. I don't have any health issues. My grandmother did suffer with blood clots but neither of my parents did and they've both been thru hip replacement. I've been a good patient till now but since I'm moving more, I intend to use those DVT cuffs less. I'll use them for the overnight. They are a pain. I'll continue the aspirin and wear the Ted socks but am definitely cutting back on those cuffs or I'll go crazy!

Thanks for your input.....a great weekend to you!
 
Hi @Layla, I just caught up with your thread. Sorry, I've been busy with my blog. My surgeon used the glue, too. I was able to shower at home about four days after my surgery. They took my bandages off on the second day, and had me expose the scars to air. I wonder if you have a heat rash on your leg? It's been really hot here, and I got one. So did my dog. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about. Have you tried putting aloe vera on it?
 
@hip hip hooray
Hello,
So many different ideas regarding, incision care, blood clot prevention,
pain control, exercise.....it's amazing! Not sure what the rash is. I haven't tried Aloe.
Thanks for the suggestion! It's hot in the Upper Mid-west also this week.
Keep cool and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 
Ha! Motivator?!

So, are you up yet? There are 3 HC 'beyond category' climbs today during todays stage of the Tour de France.
Thanks for the compliment:biking:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi anyone who's reading!
I'm chilling, drinking my coffee and fantasizing about driving once I get clearance.
I'm on Day 12 of recovery and I can't complain. I overdid it a little yesterday with the cane in an effort to ditch the walker. I know this isn't a competition and that we all heal at different rates for multiple reasons but I'm so impressed with @dougie0216 that I feel like a slacker!!

I drive a larger SUV. As my hip worsened getting in and out of my vehicle felt like an exercise in futility. I mastered a crazy way to get in but in the months leading up to my surgery had to carefully lift my leg out experiencing horrendous groin pain as I straightened the leg out. Then I'd need to stand a second and let all settle before taking a step. I'm sure this description may be familiar to many? I'm wondering if this Tarzan maneuver I mastered before surgery will still be effective once I'm cleared to drive. My operative leg is my right so I step up onto the running board with my left (good leg) while hanging onto the outside of the window frame with my left hand and holding onto one of those interior roof handles right above the drivers side window with my right hand....I then kind of swing in and lower myself. Anyone know of an easier or more ladylike way? My seat is too high to back up to and just sit down and the running board doesn't detract so I can't get close to the seat even if it was the right height.

Also is there any danger at this point in sitting on a deck chair that swivels and rocks? I wouldn't be out there swiveling and rocking but a little motion is unavoidable as you sit on these chairs. I don't want to do anything that could be a dislocation hazard ......I mean who does?!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dougie0216
Hi to my Motivator,
You make me laugh too.
Hope you have a good one!
 
@Jamie
Hi Jamie, wondering how I contact you in regard to a message to @Belladonna that won't post some reason?
 
Just don't get to carried away with the rocking or swivel. Do you have any 90 degree restrictions. You should be fine if you keep things to a minimum. Enjoy the fresh air!
 
@Jaycey
Thanks for your response. No I don't have any 90 degree restrictions!
I do need some fresh air and sunshine and intend to do something about that real soon.
At 13 days out I've only trusted a recliner, kitchen chair and counter stool but am ready to hit the deck!!
Enjoy your evening!
 
@Layla.....if you are having a problem with any of the forum questions, you can start a thread in the Bugs, Errors & Techy Questions forum (the link is under the Help & Info tab at the top of the page). Or you can PM me about it, but since all of our moderators can deal with problems, it's much better to put it in the "Bugs" forum. You'll get a faster response. I'll move your post there and ask you a couple of questions to see if we can get the problem fixed.
 
Hi There Layla.
Get out there and enjoy the good weather I say.
This hip replacement lark has to have some upside.
If you have a comfy chair outside then where better to relax.
Cover the scar and maybe stay in the shade in case you fall asleep.
Your doing great for 2wks just don't overdo it.
BTW I'm Chuffed. Your too kind.
Joe.......
 
Love the Tarzan description. Yep, sounds like me getting in the FordF150 if my father's we use for pick up at the food bank..
I have a low Toyota Corolla which was sorta easier to get in but the bucket seats were/ are horrid for long time riding and takes effort to get up out of.
I actually have to be pretty careful now getting in the truck as I am short and even with step side it can be tricky. Luckily my upper body strength is decent and it's got that inside handle so I try to keep as much weight as I can off off leg getting in and out. Mainly try not to twist once I get weight on that leg even when doing other activities.
 
Layla we have one of those porch swings outside that I use daily it's a little low so I ad pillows. Nice to get outside. Yup I understand looking silly getting in the truck. No running boards on mine so it takes a swing to get my leg in. When I hav my right hip done it will have running boards.
 
@Gone again
Full disclosure.....haven't been outside in 13 days! Enough, is enough. I need some fresh air and natural
Vitamin D. I just wanted clearance as I wasn't sure if the motion of rocking or swiveling was safe this early on. You read these dislocation scenarios and cringe! At least I do. I guess everything in moderation. My surgeon used posterior method with no restrictions other than move thoughtfully and carefully....your body will let you know what it can and can't do right now.

I've never fantasized so much about getting in my vehicle and hitting the gas pedal! The things we take for granted. At 5'6" my car seat is still to high to back up to and sit down and running board is in the way. About a year ago, I really began to struggle getting in and out of my car due to worsening OA I saw a man doing this Tarzan maneuver to get into his car which I immediately tried. Doesn't look so ladylike but it sure helped my poor old arthritic hip! It obviously involves more upper body strength which I need to work on anyways!

I dreaded leaving the hospital anticipating getting in and out of the car and up the few steps into our home. It was a breeze! However, my husband borrowed my dads vehicle which was the perfect height (seats) we used the old sit on the bag trick, making it easy to turn from passenger door facing to windshield facing.
Continued luck on your recovery.....hope you have a good one!
 
Tarzan! I love it. Since I am only 10" taller than you I have the opposite problem. It was only last week that I was able to get in my little sports car and drive without any pain.
Your husband sounds like as good guy. My wife and I both had joint replacements (hers was a shoulder) 8-weeks apart. We definitely would have had a more difficult time without the other being understanding.
Take it easy, and if it hurts don't do it. Personally, I think catching some rays would be great for your mental well being. Just don't sunburn that skin close to the incision. That hurts just thinking about it.
 
Thank you. I am going to overachieve at resting tonite. I need to straighten the garage tomorrow in lieu of PT. Nothing heavy, but it will be hot.
 
@dougie0216
Whew! Good! Reprieve! Cuz I'm trying to keep up with you......remember? NOT!!!
In my dreams......your miles ahead!
Keep on keeping on, sounds like your recovery is going very well.
Wishing you a restful evening!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I need to move my car out, use the blower to blow the dirt and dead summer bugs out. I may power wash my car as well. I'll catch some righteous summer rays if I do that. There are also some boxes that need crushed...
Nothing is high priority so if I get pooped, I'm done. I struggle finding the dotted line that delineates moderation:heehee:
 
Layla, I don't think you will have any trouble with getting into your vehicle by the time you can drive. I was able to drive at about 4 weeks as long as I felt comfortable doing it and I wasn't on any opiods which I wasn't. I had my right hip done and we have a pickup truck. It was easier to get in the drivers seat after surgery than it was prior to it. It sounds like you are doing very well. Remember slow and steady wins the race. I hope you are getting outside now. You could even walk up and down your driveway. If you are concerned about your porch chairs, maybe your husband could set one of your kitchen chairs on the porch for now. It will definitely feel good to get out for a bit each day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom