Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

I will be 54 this month and have two new hips. After two and one had months am walking with no aides, back to my 30 hour a week job.... Have no hip pain and attribute it to begrudgingly listening to my BS buddies and Josephine's advice that less is more.
 
@Mojo333
Thanks for the advice. I'm just finding myself restless the last 2 days. I daydream about all the things I want to do once more mobile. I'm sure most will agree that their world shrunk as their pain increased. Toward the end (right before surgery) simple trips to the grocery store were exhausting and barely tolerable. It will be wonderful to feel the gas pedal under my foot again and to not circle the parking lot until a space closer to the door opens! We've all been there and that's what I so appreciate about Bonesmart and the wonderful people who share their kindness, encouragement, compassion, experiences and WISDOM! You, Mojo333 are a bright star on this site and will continue to be an inspiration to me! Sending a hug.
 
@ScenicRte
Hello, been meaning to thank you for the lengthy encouragement I received from you pre-op. It was very beneficial. I read it, re-read it, read it to my hubby, read it to my mom etc. I loved the loose tooth analogy as well as your emphasis on a GAZILLION people having experienced general anesthesia. I hope all is bright in your world as you continue on your recovery journey.
A great day to you, thanks again!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Old Rocker
Hello,
You're on the list of kind people who took the time to wish me well and offer encouragement the evening before my surgery. I thank you for that....it meant a lot. Looks like you are only a couple weeks ahead of me in your recovery. Hope all is going well for you and that each day brings you more strength, less pain and the reality of a brighter future.
A great weekend to you!
 
I should probably be directing this @Josephine, not sure how this works. I left a message with my OS's office yesterday but have yet to receive a return phone call. It's my understanding my surgeon and his team are pretty much all on vacation this week and weekend due to the Fourth of July holiday.

My surgery was June 27th, RTHR. I'm on Day Eleven of recovery. On Day Eight I noticed on the shin area of my operative leg a number of small red dots. Possibly 20-25. They vary in size......from the size of the top of a straight pin (most of them) to a little smaller than a pencil eraser (only a couple of them)

While lying on my back, iPad in hand, naturally I'm perusing the Internet freaking myself out. My mind has run the gamut.....metal rejection being the worst. I'm OVER that scenario, somehow talked myself off the ledge!

What I've come up with through Internet descriptions and images is "Petechiae". Looks like it can be a result of trauma, which my dear sweet leg experienced a bit of with the gymnastics and all else that occurs while we're out cold during surgery. Next possibility I read could be the result of blood thinning protocol. My surgeon advised me to take aspirin 325mg twice daily (morning / evening) I'm wondering if that could be the cause? In addition I wear the TED socks 20 out of every 24 hrs. Also have the inflatable DVT cuffs to be worn each time I'm sitting, lying, sleeping, which translates into most of the day. I'm also wondering if it could just be something like a minor compression injury? Anyone ever experienced this?

Also, my wound dressing is basically clean everyday with the exception of a tiny dried blood spot, again smaller than a pencil eraser, about an inch up from the bottom of my incision....is it normal for this to still occur? Haven't checked / changed it yet today.

My recovery has been great, better than expected. I truly can't complain. I have no known health issues.
 
@Layla I'm so sorry for the anxiety you have been under. I'm glad you called your surgeon's office and I'm sure Josephine has some guidance for you. I wanted to share about a rash issue my Mom had. She wore those compression socks for 3 years because of varicose veins. Then a couple months ago at her medical it was determined she has poor circulation in her legs and she's waiting to see a speciist now. Anyways her family doctor told her to stop wearing the compression socks now. A week later her legs were aching and she thought she'd put them on and see if it helped her legs that were achy. When she took them off she had a ref rash that hung around for probably 2 weeks. So is it possible it's the socks that caused these red spots? I wish you well. Let us know what you find out. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
My OS's physician assistant finally got back to me.
He doesn't feel bothered by my description of the issue of the red spots and basically said if they're not increasing, itching, bothering me in any way.....to ignore.
Also said the daily blood spot on dressing should be of no concern.

Wish he called an hour earlier, before I typed out everything but my blood type to my Bonesmartie's
To all a great day!
 
Thanks Cheryl @cpollock for your concern. I just love you peep's!
I think your words of encouragement and me calling off the SOS crossed paths somewhere out in the Internet stratosphere.

I finally found relief through a phone conversation with my surgeons physician assistant which I mentioned above.

Thanks again for your time and caring concern, so sweet.....wishing you a relaxing, peaceful day!
 
Petechiae
That is just a medical word meaning rash!
Next possibility I read could be the result of blood thinning protocol.
Nope
In addition I wear the TED socks 20 out of every 24 hrs. Also have the inflatable DVT cuffs to be worn each time I'm sitting, lying, sleeping, which translates into most of the day.
I cannot conceive that you are not reasonably active - going to the bathroom, kitchen and so on. In which case, WHY are you still using these things? They are initially supposed to be used for when patients are not very mobile and spending most of their day in bed. I know you're only 11 days out but by now you should have a fair degree of activity. Therefore these are unnecessary. How long have you been told to use them?

Oh, but these devices are in no way connected with the rash!
Also, my wound dressing is basically clean everyday
Excuse me? You're changing your dressings every day ?? Why? My orthopaedic training dictates that wound dressings should be left untouched for at least 10 days.
 
@Josephine
Hi Josephine, Thanks for your response.....much appreciated.

1 & 2) I do understand Petechiae means rash. I also originally mentioned I read that one of the causes of the (rash) could be from blood clotting prevention protocol of which my surgeon prescribed 2x daily aspirin. I did mention this to the surgeons assistant when he returned my call. He neither confirmed, nor denied it as a possibility.

3) I do consider myself reasonably active. Trips to the bathroom, making coffee in the a.m. Putting together easy meals, basically plopping food on a plate and eating it at the table. I walk once every hour to two. I practice a flight of stairs (8) with my husband twice a day, do ankle pumps, quad sets, hamstring set, gluten set (supine) short arc quads, straight leg raises, long arc quads. Reps 10x holdings 5 seconds ea.
I do these 2x daily without pain, not pushing myself. I also practice walking across my livingroom with a cane but am still using a walker mainly for security. I'm off all drugs with the exception of the twice daily aspirin and one 500mg Tylenol for the overnight which I plan to try losing tonight.

I found my surgeon's directions for blood clot prevention not only excessive but extremely confining. I feel like a prisoner at times to the point of subjecting my poor husband to a mini melt down the other night. There was a discussion a few of us engaged in on Bonesmart days ago in regard to the plethora of protocol followed by surgeons across the country! I guess I'm left wondering how do we decipher who's right, who's wrong, who's excessive, who's dismissive? I tend to be a follower of rules. Both of my parents have had hip replacements, my dad both hips, my mom only one. They've healed without incident....to date.....seven years now for both. However, my dads, mother did have a history of blood clots. Having this in the back of my mind I decided I would follow my surgeons advice to the letter. When the surgeons assistant called me today I went over the TED socks, DVT cuffs, aspirin protocol again. He said going forward to continue with the TED socks, aspirin and use the DVT cuffs at least 50% of the time now that I'm further away from surgery.....Whew....a reprieve of sorts!

Lastly...wound dressing. Again, following instructions. My incision was closed with dissolvable under the skin stitches then glued closed. I could shower from Day One, just no submersion. Is there a greater risk of infection in changing it daily? With what I was given at discharge from the Surgery Center (supplies) if I didn't change it daily I'd have a soaked piece of gauze hanging on my incision each time I shower......puzzled?

I appreciate your time, expertise and advice, Josephine I love Bonesmart and the many kind, encouraging, sweet people I've interacted with. It's been a joy over the past few weeks to experience people reaching out to perfect strangers in love and care. It really is a beautiful thing.

A great weekend to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I walk once every hour to two. I practice a flight of stairs (8) with my husband twice a day, do ankle pumps, quad sets, hamstring set, gluten set (supine) short arc quads, straight leg raises, long arc quads. Reps 10x holdings 5 seconds ea.
I do these 2x daily
But you really don't need to do these. Very few hip surgeons of my acquaintance require their patients to do such exercises and their patients have excellent outcomes.
I'm off all drugs with the exception of the twice daily aspirin and one 500mg Tylenol for the overnight which I plan to try losing tonight.
Aspirin isn't a pain med. I still think 10 days out is far too early to be stopping ALL pain meds. However, Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day would be excellent for you.
Is there a greater risk of infection in changing it daily? With what I was given at discharge from the Surgery Center (supplies) if I didn't change it daily I'd have a soaked piece of gauze hanging on my incision each time I shower......puzzled?
There certainly is a greater risk. And if you have been provided with non-waterproof dressings, then you shouldn't be showering. But there are plenty of waterproof dressings on the market so I am puzzled as to why they haven't issued you with those so you didn't have to change it every time you showered! This is one example - OpSite

[Bonesmart.org] Layla's Recovery
 
That's the dressings I was given to use from hospital. The first one stayed on for one week, then every 3-4 days I changed. They also had some antibacterial stuff in them
 
@Layla How are you Doing? Did you sleep Ok? I hope some of your issues are lessening now. I'm interested in a quick update. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning Cheryl,
Thanks for asking. You are thoughtful and kind. I slept well enough, can't complain. I've been up since 4:30 am which is earlier than normal. But I'll be fine. Sleep normally isn't a problem for me. Since surgery I seem to sleep in two blocks 3-4 hrs each, nightly. Bathroom break midway through. My pain is very manageable.

The spots on my leg I was concerned about yesterday seem to have multiplied a bit. My husband thinks not, he feels they were always there (since we first noticed on Wed) but are just more visible now, almost like they came to the surface, if that makes sense? They are confined to the area of my operative leg, around mid shin. My mom looked at a pic I messaged her and doesn't think they look threatening. My dad and sister saw them in person and feel the same. Our best guess is that the combo of the TED compression socks I was directed to wear 20 out of 24 hrs a day, in addition to the DVT cuffs I'm to wear each time I'm lying, sitting, sleeping possibly caused tiny blood vessels to burst? I'm not in the medical profession but did talk to my surgeons assistant yesterday and while he didn't have an answer, he didn't seem concerned. Because my husband noticed two on the back of my calf today, operative leg again, it makes us wonder if the combo of the compression socks, inflatable cuffs and a more swollen leg couldn't take the pressure of both inflatable cuffs being fastened to the same degree of tightness......am I making sense?

If you have time....what was / is your blood clot prevention protocol? I had an exchange with Josephine yesterday. I understand she's beloved on this site and I feel she offers valuable information to many. But it's difficult to toss my surgeons suggestions out the door in favor of an online nurse's take. Please understand....no disrespect to Josephine. But in choosing your surgeon you are choosing to follow their recovery instructions also, at least that's how I feel. Personally I do feel my surgeons blood clot prevention is a bit excessive to what I've heard a few others practiced. I've lightened up a bit on the inflatable cuffs but still wear the Ted socks about 20 out of 24 hrs as directed. I have to admit it will be a relief the day I throw them into the trash. You'll hear my YAHOO all the way to Canada!!!!

I just tend to be a worrier with an overactive imagination. Something I try to work on and pray about......
You asked for a quick update......sorry.......far from quick!

I hope you had a peaceful night and have a great Saturday.
 
@Layla thanks for the update. I am on lovenox for preventing blood clots, my husband gives it to me by needle of certain a day. It's a blood thinner and my lower belly looks like a pin cushion. Tomorrow will be my last needle then I'm done. And I was told to do 60 ankle pumps every hour I was awake for the first 2 weeks. Now just 10 an hour.
I too have ever quite the imagination, we make a good pair. With the pain you my left lower side I was looking on the Internet and thought I may have a hematoma in there. It very likely is inflammation of the muscles and tendons in the area. It's eased up now and comes and goes.
I will be listening for your big yahoo when you get rid of your socks, hehe.
Take care, happy healing. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Layla Just checking up on you. Time does fly! I had to get in a routine to keep from going crazy.
The only difference was I had to split PT into two smaller segments right after surgery.
After the pain subsided and I got some strength back, I was able to to cram everything into one session.
Rest is the most important thing. So get some rest and keep us updated.
Doug
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom