THR Layla's Recovery

I was encouraged to read this bit of the tread about moving into walking with no assistance. I am at almost 2 weeks with no pain and feeling ready to walk without the cane but clearly I am not. I had such a limp the last 2 years; when I did walk unassisted for the short time I did, it was so robotic; not a human gait at all and certainly not with a fluid pace. So I was interested in this conversation about limping and pain and gait. I gather from this conversation, a similar one with my PT and from the BS philosophy that if you are limping go back a step and work some more before trying again. So I will stay with my cane for a bit and see what happens. Thank you for that lesson coming first hand from you several hipsters.
 
Well hello there @GrannyC BoneSmart's breath of fresh air....
Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to stop by my thread.
I know you're busy and it's always a pleasure to hear from you!

I guess I'll assume my knees had some arthritis before or right along with my hips.
They don't bother me though, never have. The PA made it sound minimal so I'm just
ignoring it unless / until they become bothersome. I'll deal with it then.

My husband has a great sense of humor. So nothing he says ever surprises me. His personality is.....let's say BIG, life of the party type. Others find him hysterical, I find him only mildly entertaining after 30 yrs :heehee: I probably should have clarified that I didn't really whack him, lol! He made the "you'll be dead by then" comment during a phone conversation as I called him leaving my surgeons office......or I would have whacked him. (Kidding)

My OS visit wasn't really a 6 month check. At 3 months post op my OS told me I didn't need to come back until I was one year post op. He told me if I wanted to have my knee looked at again in 3 months to come in and since it is still tight, I did.

I hope all is going well in your world. Crazy busy time of year..... :reindeersleigh
Sending a hug and wishing you a great week :santawave:
 
@Layla You're such a delight, truly! Your hubby reminds me of mine. Though this is my "3rd time is a charm" man, so we are only on yr 7 (I was married to my kiddos dad for 12yrs,10yrs ago and then briefly with a wingnut), he is just the a super funny and loveable guy. I'm also a bit of a cradle robber! :heehee:
I'm sorry about your knees.....it's frustrating to have one thing fixed to then immediately be dealing with another. My OS warned me that after this hip replacement to not be surprised if I start to notice pains in other places. The brain has been coping with the hip but now that it's resolved, whatever was going on in the background suddenly now gets to move up front and centre. It's an interesting theory. I prefer denial. Haha
 
Awww... you're adorably sweet @danabanana
You've brought a lot of fun and laughs to BS as of late. I look forward to your posts.

It's nice to have a husband who likes to laugh and enjoys life, I can't complain. He was a great nurse in my recovery too. Messy...but very attentive and caring. It was interesting to learn what type of caregiver he is because thankfully that's never been tested in our relationship. Since he's self employed he was able to be home with me 24/7 and he was. But by day 10-12 he was getting stir crazy which made me anxious and I finally told him he had to go golfing or fishing or do something he enjoyed to get a break! It was good for both of us and from that day on he began leaving the house for a few hours everyday, increasing his time away. It gave us both the confidence I was ready to handle all on my own. You'll be at that point too...before you know it.
Hugs and wishes for a peaceful, pain free night.
 
Aw thanks you so much @Layla... I'm grateful to be here! I admit I wasn't as involved last year with the core decompression....I did find some support but it's just not all that common a procedure nor a popular one, so was harder to find those to relate to.
So nice to have an attentive hubby. Mine is much the same though....but he's not too keen around the kitchen. My Mil and I are the cooks. He is more capable than he realizes however. He just needs some encouragement...or some reverse psychology Hahaha
 
That's funny! @Susan209
Is he seriously afraid you can't handle being alone yet? It's sweet.

Mine was getting antsy, I could sense it. I'm no longer working outside the home
and appreciate my alone time ocassionally so I was ready for him to fly the coup once I felt
confident enough in being alone. He has a LOT of energy and I'm more "chill".
 
As much as my hubby doesn't like to go to work, he needs out of the house far more than me. He's so antsy, he'd go insane staying in the house for more than a few days!!! I can quite contentedly binge watch Netflix while 2 epsisodes later he's itching to do something else. That being said, I'm the one that loves to run marathons, hike and do cycle events, whereas he prefers to push weights, go window shopping, and for a nice drive!
 
Woo hoo lovely Layla appointed Forum Advisor!!!
Huge congratulations sweetheart and very well deserved.
You have been right by my side throughout this journey always there with a comforting word or advice or even just popping in to check up all was going ok.
Thank you for all of the above :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Horseshoe
Sorry to hear about your knees. I'll bet you're right and it can be the result of deteriorating hips.
I guess things are going to break down with aging bodies. For one person it's this....for another something else.
Just can't waste my time worrying about it as it serves no purpose.
Like you mentioned...the bright side for us is no pain. I'll take it..thank you very much Lol!
I'd like to research the stem cell rejuvenation also. It sounds interesting. Josephine could probably answer whether bad knees affect hip replacements. My best guess would be, yes it will.

As always, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you're doing well. Best wishes for a great week!
 
Hello there @Welshgirl
Thank you for the congrats and generously kind words. I truly enjoyed following your journey. My surgery was close enough to yours that I could still easily recall all of the emotions you were experiencing. The anticipation and anxiety leading up to surgery as well as the ups and downs and emotional moments of recovery. You've done it all so well. Gracefully, patiently, thankfully. And look at the result... a happy beautiful woman standing in front of a Christmas tree wearing a big smile and HEELS!! It only continues to get better. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and New Year filled with lots of love and all things good!
Hugs
 
It's evident you're precious to him.
He loves you very much @Susan209 :friends: <You and him lol!
 
Just stopping by to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! I love reading all your posts. They are always so supportive and encouraging with bits of helpful information mixed in. A great addition to BS forum to be sure. Merry Christmas from our house to yours :snows: (And yes it is actually snowing here and we have at least a foot on the ground already). :re-snowman:
 
Thank you! @GrannyC
And you know how I love your down to earth, easy breezy posts.
They always feel like conversing with a supportive friend. I miss you in the forum!
I realize you've been busy but hope you'll be back soon to offer inspiration
as you've done so well over time.

Well...we're entering the final countdown to Christmas. Busy week for all I'm sure.
Sending you a hug and warm wishes for a :merry christmas: with loved ones.

A foot of snow already! Be careful......we want none of this with the new hip :reindeer:
 
Hi dear, sweet @Layla. Dropped by your thread as I do from time to time. . .this time to wish you a :merryx: and to thank you again for the massive support you have given me through good times and rather bad ones too. It's not been an easy passage to this point of final success but you've been there all the way for me and the rest of your flock and a thank you just doesn't seem like enough. I feel pretty solemn about that but so joyful too. Your calm but deliberate instruction to me to "get it together" was needed more than I'd care to admit. But you did it with loving care. You are always with me in my successes with hugs and understanding that this is hard work but the rewards are worth it. You are, my dear, a most beautiful woman inside and out. You will always be one of my heroines. I'm sorry about your knees; it is a blessing they don't hurt. Two years ago for me the question was which do I do first, the hip or the other knee. So I have a bone on bone arthritic left knee that remains not a product of the hip surgery but a bit of a pain from time to time. I use a declofenac (anti-inflammatory) gel that does help with the pain when it rears it's ugly head. I will probably not get surgery; don't think I can face it. But that is now. Who knows. I hope for you that yours remains stable, that the hip replacement actually assists those knees instead of throwing them a curve. But back to the message, which is I am wishing you all of the best possible :merry christmas:es. Have a bright and beautiful and starry :dancing:delightful celebration of life with that youngster you've got there. Mine keeps me on track, refusing to even consider that the best will not happen and bending to my every request for help and hugs. We've only been married 9 years; my second after losing my first to a hospital infection from surgery. Life is short; dance on that new hip with that hubby and celebrate the heck out of :treestar:Christmas. You are a love. Many hugs. :santaclap::santaclap::santaclap::santaclap::santaclap::santaclap::santaclap:
 
Awww, @zinnia
That's a lump in the throat, teary eyed post to read. Extremely heartwarming of you to take the time.
You are so very kind.

So many of us have a love for you, Zinnia. I get emotional gleaning through your words how far you've come over the past few months. Your first posts were sad and hard to read. I could feel your fear and sense of hopelessness. You were crying out for support and encouragement and many of us came running to help. You didn't realize that the physical effort you were exerting was fruitless. You were spinning your wheels.
It was evident you have a love for life and still had a lot of living to do. You were in pain, suffering anxiety over another surgery and fearing you'd never recover. In learning just now, how you lost your first husband, that must have cause added anxiety each time you prepared for surgery. How terribly sad.....I'm sorry you lost him that way.

Look at you now! Surgery is behind you, you're thriving and doing well! You're feeling strong enough to travel and be with loved ones over Christmas. And what a beautiful Christmas it will be for you. I've thought of Susan's post several times today and how much weight those few sentences hold. It really puts your recovery in perspective. So when you're feeling you've not progressed as much as you'd like, please reflect on her words.
You've come a long way, you still have a ways to go, but you'll make it. I'm convinced of that. I promise I'll be there walking right alongside you, as will many others, for as long as it takes. That you can count on.
Sending a hug and warm wishes for a beautiful Christmas.
Love you lots, sweet lady :loveshwr:
 
Thank you for being the kind of friend who can stand me even when I hate being around me. It's been very hard for me to see myself slipping in so many areas of my health....that...has made it pretty much impossible to even act at humor and be fun
I just don't have it lately... YOU Mojo333 and a few others have stood in there with and for me...:merry christmas:. Wishing you all things bright and beautiful this New year:kittychris:
 
Aww, Mag's...you know I love you to pieces. Even if you don't feel like laughing lately, still love ya...
We all go through difficult times. I'm just sad you're feeling so down.
I understand though. When we're not feeling our best physically, are concerned about physical symptoms we're having, wondering what's wrong....it can get us down emotionally. It will pass, know that!
I think once you get your colonoscopy and find out everything is okay. You'll feel more relieved.
The holidays are difficult for many for all sorts of reasons. Then to top it all off you got a darned mustache to deal with!!! Sheesh, when it rains it pours. Had to throw a little levity into the mix :rotfl:

Went to Christmas service tonight.....yeah I know, already? I attend a rather large church, multiple locations with 9 Christmas services this weekend so we chose tonight. Wasn't quite sure how I felt going this early but it was nice.

I know one thing.....I can't imagine my recovery with out you in it. From the first words you ever typed I was drawn in. I know I told you somewhere along the way I read your first post and said to my hubby "Listen to this, is this woman crazy?!!" "Listen to all she's doing as I sit here on my rear in this recliner and she's asking if she's LAZY!!"
Still makes me laugh. We've had some fun nights for sure!!

Wishing you a great night and a wonderful Christmas :nativity:
2018 WILL BE GREAT.....JUST YOU WAIT!!
 
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom