Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

It's minus 1 here currently with a high of 4 degrees tomorrow!
I don't like Winter @MyAussieGirl I do like Summer, just not when it's extremely hot, or humid.
Fall is my fave, Spring a close second. I'll bet just like me, you are feeling somewhat trapped.
I worry each time I leave the house that I could slip and fall. I'm sure you're the same x2!
Hopefully your recovery is still moving along nicely and tummy issues are improving.
I think we're going to hit 28 degrees this weekend, hahaha! Its going to feel like a heatwave :SUNsmile: :swim:
 
Thanks @Layla yes we are to hit the 20s and part way into next week...ready for this ..40 ....yessss

I go out daily...lol I never learn today I only went into the library everywhere else no way but we ate in the car at McDonald's and hit the post office...hubby walked dog in town. I say safe in the car. Tonight our actual temp is to be Minus 15 ugh

Yesterday I um did go in and out of Kroger's , another grocery store and walked a little on the ice packed parking lot and yes scary ..I used the cart

Get your husband who adores you to get you out of the house. HUGE HUGS I want summer not a heat wave but summer :swim::walking:
 
Hi Layla,
You are such a positive person with a great attitude towards life. I haven’t returned to this forum since I left for Hawaii. I was wondering how you were doing. I’m glad you don’t need a new knee too. I hope the knee swelling and problems go away for you.
I had been thinking about this because I had a lot of problems with my knee hurting when I was walking. I kept icing it. I had to not walk so much because of knee pain and swelling. The hip was doing great. My doctor said basically the same thing as yours. I do have arthritis in the knee, but a knee replacement is not in my future. That thrilled me. What I did finally do was seek the help of a highly recommended physical therapist. My problem was because I was knock-kneed to begin with. After doing the exercises and using a strap below my knee for the last two months I am almost pain free in the knee. I’m so thankful that the PT figured out the big problem. I didn’t have any problems Christmas shopping this year.
Just thinking you must be freezing right now. I hope you are doing better now.
 
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words @Waterlady
Hawaii....lucky you!
We're in the deep freeze here in the Upper Midwest. A high of -5 today :rotfl:
I've heard rumblings of it hitting 40 within her the next couple weeks.
Sad state of affairs when you're looking forward to 40 degrees as a high, lol! But I'll take it!

I'm sorry to hear of your knee problems but it sounds like you're doing well now.
Mine does not cause noticeable pain, only mild stiffness upon bending. There is a bit of residual swelling also. I understand through Josephine that pain and swelling are forms of pain. I'm choosing patience since it doesn't hurt or stop me from doing anything.
With our surgeries only a few weeks apart it feels like we're both doing well....Yay! :chuckmarch:
I can't complain....that's for sure.

Warm wishes for a wonderful 2018 filled with abundant blessings!
 
Our temps were in the teens. Now mid 30s and rain so our road is all a sheet of ice. Doesn’t make driving down it much fun. Over a mile. I carry a shovel and some sand but I’m not up to much digging. We run studded tires on the wife’s car for winter.
 
I don't know about you @Gone again but I've lived here my entire life and have driven many a time on glare ice and it never gets any less scary!
Especially in those first few seconds you start sliding...before you regain control.
A humongous rink might be fun :what: But not the roads with the fear of hitting other cars, trees, flipping into ditches or sliding through red lights :yikes: You know the drill.....
NOW add to it a new hip and I'm really :flabber:
 
@Layla ive slid down our hill backwards on the ice more than once. That will wake you up!!:shocked: Going to chain up the truck and get some sand today. Time for those shoe cleats. Hips are feeling pretty good as long as I don’t do to much. My wife drives and I sit on the tailgate throwing out sand.
 
I am sorry that this winter is wrecking havoc on everyone up north. Here in Texas we are having a warm spell this weekend. It is now 60 degrees, going to 68 this afternoon. It will not last and we will pay for it in the summer when it is 100 degrees and steamy, just have to enjoy it while it lasts. Spring is coming!

I am going to join my husband for a ride around the golf course for 9 holes this afternoon and try to putt a little. He is a good golfer, so he will do the driving and chipping and get us on the greens. He offered me a leash to make sure that I don't fall walking up and down the greens. I declined but will accept an arm for support. I cannot wait to go back to golfing- my mental health therapy- and seeing my golf buddies. Our ladies' league season starts in February but I figured it would be longer before I can turn on the new hip, maybe March.
 
Lucky you! @Dive17
I don't golf but my hubby does. I like to ride along in the cart and check out the scenery.
Some of the courses we've visited in Northern Minnesota are just beautiful!
If you're an avid golfer I'm sure you've golfed your share as most avid golfers seem to enjoy golfing a variety of courses. Golf in these parts won't start up again until the beginning of May, most likely.

Yes, we've been in the deep freeze here. We are embarking on a 3 day thaw. By that I mean temps hovering around the freezing mark or maybe a few degrees above. Laughable, I know. Then on Thursday we're back in the teens to single digits with more snow in the forecast.
Calgon Take Me Away! :heehee: Do they even sell that stuff anymore, lol!

Wishing you a great week of continued recovery and more rides in the golf cart!
 
Yeah, the sell the stuff, Layla. I am allergic to something in it so I stick to good smelling stuff from Bath and Body and a steaming shower. Thanks for the positive wishes. The sun is shining outside and I am feeling good today. I think that I should go out and park on a chair on the sidewalk and soak some rays. Wonder if the neighbors will call the funny wagon?
 
Almost 7 months post op....in eight more days.
Today I called my orthopedic's office to schedule an appt to have my heel, or Achilles checked
as it's bothered me for about two years. It's on the side opposite my replacement. I've questioned the
pain / discomfort each time I've visited for my hip both pre-op and post op. I never get any satisfaction.
I was told pre-op that it was due to changing gait in favoring my arthritic hip. Afterward, I was told (again) it was due to changing gait now that they replaced my hip :chinstroke: Hmm.

Finally, last time I visited the office I expressed I was no longer willing to accept that explanation and asked for a referral to the foot / ankle doc within the same practice. I have an appt next week and hope to get to the bottom of it, once and for all. Curious thing is it didn't bother me for about a months time immediately post op. Then it became a nuisance again. That short reprieve still puzzles me because it's the only period of time it hasn't bothered me over the past two years.

While scheduling my appt with the foot / ankle doc the scheduler mentioned she noticed I have an upcoming appt with my hip OS in June. This appt will mark my one year post op. I confirmed the date only to be told I will need to re-schedule with another surgeon as mine is no longer with the practice.....WHAT :xmark:
Obviously this happens on occasion but...no letter in the mail, or warning, nothing. Makes me wonder if he left the practice on bad terms. I re-scheduled with another who was originally my second choice. But in reality I can't help but feel like I was dumped roadside :heehee: Naturally they don't provide you with any information so I guess I'l just google him periodically and see if he pops up elsewhere, locally. I'm thinking if he was re-locating locally, or moving out of the area I would have been notified by mail. Puzzling!
Hope it's not lawsuit related and he's left one too many instruments inside of patients before closing :rotfl:
 
That is some strange news @Layla. I have had docs leave, and like you have always received notice of their departure, who they were transferring me to and the process for getting my records transferred. Perhaps he has recently departed and you happened to call while the transition is still in process.

The heel does sound annoying. Hope they figure that out for you. Maybe planter fascia?
 
Wow @Layla that is cold no letter from the office. If you're not fond of the other doc in that practice can you just make an appointment elsewhere? Hugs that is bad
 
Layla, wonder if not having the pain in the month post op was because it's the period you were on your feet and walking less than any other time.

On the doc, it is possible that he plans to go to a competing group (so the old place doesn't want to tell you where to find him) and he could have a non-compete agreement that either prevents him from starting at the competing office for awhile or a partnership agreement that prohibits him for initiating contact with patients from old office. If so, old office would want to give you as little notice as possible because you're more likely to stay if your appt is due and they "work you in" with another doc so that you don't have to wait to make an appt elsewhere (but they have to tell you now because you might notice name no longer on door). Might not be the reason, but I've seen it happen.
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl ....missing you lately!
I did re-schedule with a doc who would have been my second choice for a surgeon.
I didn't ask the office scheduler but have a feeling my OS's departure was rather recent
and possibly that's why I've yet to be notified. I'm wondering what happens to those he has
surgeries scheduled with. Obviously they'll reschedule with another or take their business
elsewhere. What a nightmare that would be as most of us research heavily in an effort to
find the surgeon we feel best fits our needs. Had I known he was going to break up with me
I'd never allowed him to get that up close and personal :heehee:

@SaraK Good point on the month of no pain while I spent a lot of time off my feet. Wondered also
if the meds helped?

As far as my MIA OS, I'm sure there is some protocol they follow if they're
leaving for a competitor. I live in a large metro area and there are two behemoth practices that have
the monopoly on all things orthopedic. I'm sure the lil stinker will show up somewhere!
 
There seems to be so many compensations made for ailing hips , in your situation you may have aggravated your heel. Good move going to the ft dr. The rest and meds seems right. Many yrs ago I had a ft issue , ice bathing your ft does wonders. Put ft in hold for as long as you can and repeat as many times as you can , takes the inflammation out. Hurts like a darn tho but works . I do this for elbows and hands when they get overused from exercise and golf
 
I miss you too @Layla I know my OS kept his people but stopped working with my hospital which made hip 2 happen 90 minutes away not 20 and OCs we're all at his other office an hour away. They did not inform me by mail too now that I think about it it came up JUST before my surgery sigh

Yes very up close and personal :rofsign:
 
Thanks @tyorke1
I'm going to try that!
It gives me the chills thinking about it...but I'm game.
A great weekend to you!
 
When I went back for my one-year post-op visit, my OS's office had moved to the other side of this huge medical complex. I got there and couldn't find them! I had to wander all over the place and kept asking people for directions. They had called me a few days before to confirm appointment and never bothered to tell me they had moved. It wasn't a big deal. At least I was able to walk all that way. I certainly couldn't before THR. I still thought it was rude and I said so in the patient satisfaction survey that came in the mail. :hissy:
 
I agree it was inconsiderate, Alex. Luckily you were able to tolerate it,
but I'll bet many were inconvenienced by it. A great majority of the people
visiting orthopedic offices are having difficulty ambulating.

I'm assuming my doc will show up somewhere locally. If he was leaving the area,
I'm guessing I would have been notified.
The question will be whether I care to follow him....
@alexthecat
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom