TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Celle I appreciate your letter I guess the idea of a power of attorney is to look after your best interests when you can't manage them on your own. My Mom will only be with us for so long and as my husband says make he best of the time you have her and don't let him upset that relationship he is proud of how I have improved said don't worry about others who are not . My other brother is looking at it smart he said that the power will only last as long as we have my Mom and wonders what he will do when the power is no longer his who else would ask him to be in charge of their stuff. I agree. I am lucky that my Mom is still with us and think she is just trying to keep the peace. Not worth getting upset over. Thanks Celle have a great week. Holly:puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
There's also a Healthcare Power of Attorney, which allows the designee to make critical decisions about your own care when you are unable to articulate them yourself. Choose that person ONLY after you've asked them in advance and they are willing to accept that responsibility, and make sure to tell them your wishes and have him/her promise to abide by them. If you can, designate an alternate in case that person is unable to act in your stead. In the absence of a Healthcare Power of Attorney, in most U.S. jurisdictions next of kin will have that power.
 
Yes I had the Power of Attorney for my mother's health, as well as one for her finances. My mother had a Living Will, stating that she did not wish her life to be prolonged by artificial means (under certain, specified circumstances) and that she did not wish to be resuscitated (under the same circumstances). When we went to the lawyer, to create these Powers of Attorney, she made sure that the lawyer and I both had copies of her Living Will and her Final Will. She also made both the lawyer and me joint Executors of her Will.

It's a depressing subject, but sometimes these things are necessary. My husband and I have done the same things for each other.
 
Hi Dulcimer Diva and@Celle My husband and I made out wills a couple of years ago his brother had just died and we realized we shouldn't leave it too much longer. We named my two youngest brothers as our power of attorneys to step in if we became unnable to handle our affairs and the two youngest as our Executors as well. We know that they will respect our wishes and have learned so much more since the original wills were prepared for us on how we want things done. Until lately we hadn't really thought about the need to make sure that we have all written down make sure things go the way they are supposed to. Our lawyer advised on different things we would need to know and said that we could update as we needed to. At that time we didn't name seperate duties for each but are now coming up with our choices we thought with two it would take the pressure off of one and think they will work together on whatever is needed . Have expressed our wishes and documented with our lawyer. Hope it isn't needed for a long time but I guess you never know. Thanks Holly :)
 
It has been very hot here over the past few weeks and lots of rain. The inside of my knee give me a sharp pulsing feeling really the place that I feel it the most always in the same spot not sure why. I am finding that the hot weather is making my leg feel less tight not sure why. Tonight I went to have a shower put on my nightgown walked into the hallway and my leg felt like it was coming out from under me it tried to bend . This has happened before but when I try to bend it won't bend that way.It is fairly stiff when I walk try to bend when walking funny feeling but nice because it actually moved a little bit more caught me by surprise felt like I was going to drop. Holly :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lavender!
This pain sounds nasty - perhaps you should tag one of the board medics to get some advice

I sometimes suffer from a strange stabbing pain at the side of my knee - I think it may be to do with the nerves reconnecting/waking up from the surgery. I also have this stabbing shin pain that makes it hard for me to stand on my TKR leg - it is one of the reasons that I don't let go of my walker
 
Hi Puffin :) The pain comes on the inside of my leg a little spot about the size of the tip of my finger always in the same place. Today I was rubbing this spot then the pain disappears and noticed that the skin on my leg seems to be becoming less like it is stuck I think this is a good sign and pain only last for a little while try to soft massage it and it seems to ease up. I think my walking although still a little stiff is becoming a little more relaxed hope all went well for you at your visit with your doctor. I will see my surgeon tomorrow morning hope he just tells me to keep on the way I am. Wishing for you a wonderful painfree week . Holly :friends:
 
:friends: :friends: Hi Today I had an appointment to see my surgeon in his office. He asked me if I thought things were getting better and told him that the massages seem to be helping. He said that my leg was not bending as much as he wouldlike and asked how I felt.He commented that he could see that the soft tissues were getting more relaxed. He said that he could bend it for me MUA but hesitated and said sure I could bend it but it would need lots of pt and might not stay that way. He told me that I looked happy seemed like I was managing and what if we leave it for a month keep massages once a week and then talk when I came back. He didn't push MUA said that I was walking pretty good just needed to stand a bit staighter but looked fine. Told me that the bend that I have so far will work out for a lot of things said that he was really impressed how I was handling it and I explained that my way of handling it was to look at the good things that happen each day. I told him that even the simple things like putting my shoes on and having to do up the laces had been wearing shoes that slipped on up till now and he said you are happy and that will help you. Maybe the bend is not what might be expected but the feeling that it will never get better is with me less each day. I mentioned how well the left leg which is bone on bone as well has helped me and mentioned that it still creaks and grinds he said lets not even think about that now I wasn't asking to have surgery on that one yet and he doesn't seem to want to think about it yet either. My Mom called and we talked about our surgery and my Dad and she said think about all of the amazing things that you have managed to do over the last three months that were not things you thought were going to be possible again and I told her we have both had major surgery we should be proud of our accomplishments maybe not all along the same levels that might be expected but we have done very well and just need to be thankful for those. :whistle: I have so much to be thankful for and along with family my husband my friends and so much for bonesmart as well. You were there when I needed someone to talk to who understood and helped me feel so much better. :kittykiss: I will be thankful for that even recommended bonesmart to a woman who was getting into her car at Walmart the other day she was having a hard time and she smiled over at me I told her know how you feel it can be uncomfortable we talked and I told her about bonesmart she said would check into it didn't know about it .I was sitting in the park after my appointment today feeding our duck and geese freiends thankful to have had them to feed and relax in a gentle atmosphere. Thanks for all you have all done Holly :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
Yes, ma'am lavender, I love feeling those positive vibrations you're sending out. I admire folks who count their blessings and look on the bright side. You have made my day!

[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
You hang on to this---it will take you far. And I'm willing to bet that given enough TIME & PATIENCE and a little exercise daily, you flexion will get better.


Take care, sweetie, and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
 
Hi Lavender,
Don't forget that many of us continue to get improved Range of Movement (ROM) for a year or more after surgery. What you have now is probably not what you will end up with.

Time and patience are still your friends!

Caryl
 
Hi@Bottomshollow We had a nice day very hot here but really nice day. I have a really nice feeling that things are going to get better and if not the way they are now will be ok. I am walking so much more at ease still not bending fully but walking a little less focused on my knee. Thanks for all the support and encouragement it has really meant a lot to me. Holly :flwrysmile: :egypdance:
 
Hi@Caryl:) I am feeling more content with things and find that the hot weather is making my leg feel more relaxed. I am going to try to look for the positive in each day and delight in the small little changes and accomplishments they bring. I am no longer in pain too often and that is so much easier to handle. :spin: I hope all is well with you and that your knee is not giving you any pain. Thanks for your nice letter. Hope you are enjoying your summer. I am thinking with some time I may just wake up one day and my knee will surprise me with a big bend if not life is still good. Holly:egypdance:
 
Hi, Holly,
It sounds like you have a REALLY good OS. He seems patient and very understanding. Like you said, just relish the small but noticeable changes that you see each day. Eventually, they will add up!

Roger
 
Hi Roger:) My OS is very quiet and seems to care. He is not in any rush to MUA my leg he keeps giving me other options. He asks how I want to handle it and doesn't believe that it has to be rushed. I thought it was nice he looked at me sitting in the chair and said that chair is too high for you and brought a small pink footstool over and placed my foot on it said that will be more comfortable. I don't know if he thinks my leg will get more bend but handles it in a positive way just says it may take time and we will keep a check on it . I asked if leaving it will hurt it and he said no we have time. I do not think he is a great fan of doing MUA. Today I go for my leg massage it seems to be helping with the tight feeling a bit. Sore today but did a lot of stuff yesterday had two appointments for medical stuff but today just massage and take my Mom to the hospital. Just trying to look for the little changes and I think the surgeons attitude has helped with that a lot. Hope all is well with you and wishing you a great painfree week. Holly :ok: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Today I went to my massage and managed to have a 90 degree flex . I was told that if it hurt to tell him and he didn't want me to let it hurt when he worked on my leg. I turned over on my stomach and he slowly gently moved my leg up and then it sstarted to get sore. When I was finished he had me sit on the table and said guess what it is now measuring just a little over 90 degrees. This is the only time that I have been anywhere near that high even after the surgery it was 85. This is really helping me relaxes your mind and has made me feel that things can and will get easier. The massage therapist makes sure that I do not feel the pain that pt caused discomfort but no where near what I had in pt. He works the area near my scar and my upper leg and behind the knee and it is very positive. It is a little intense and today he said he was going to try to massage my leg a little deeper. It was a little uncomfortable but not painful and is the way that I will handle pt next time if I ever do my other knee. I saw the pt that I had she kept saying are you working it making it move and I told her that the best decision that was made was the surgeons suggestion that massage might be the thing that will help my knee. My surgeon suggested that after 4 weeks I should come back having massages inbetween and then maybe pt again I am not going to do pt but will continue with the massages very encouraging and today after the massage I had to take my Mom to the hospital for tests she needed to go a few places lots of walking used my cane managed wish I had of brought the walker in didn't expect that amount of walking then back to the parking lot to get our car. I couldn't believe it when he said you are at 90 didn't know he was measuring he said has helped me more then anything else they have tried. Tomorrow my husband and I have to go and get the results of the tests that his speciaist has been running for him. He has been going back quite a bit over the last 3 weeks and the secretary called and said that he needs to see him now the stuff that we were handling with him before my surgery is very serious and I am hoping that the tests are better then the last few. I am worried he has been so strong for always and don't want anything to happen to him he never complains we have had a number of close calls over the past years and he is showing some signs again. I am scared.Holly
 
Today was the day that I was going to havemy massage. I got a phone call that the massage guys wife was iin labour. They were waiting for their second babys arrival and today was the day. I think this is wonderful and he was so excited when we talked about his little baby makes you feel nice when someone is so happy and loves their kids and seems like he is a really good daddy. Our water heater broke down and today after two days without hot water we received our new one. Can't wait to have a nice warm shower. Little things in life that you take for granted. My leg is doing quite well a little sore but not as hard to bend still stiff but no where near as sore. Maybe I am nearing the end of the tunnel and sure seems to be a little easier to handle. I still don't have the bend that many have at this point but I am comfortable with the 90 degrees(hope it is still 90 degrees) and hope it gets better and think it will but still can do lots of what I need to . Took my Mom out yesterday and realized after I got into our car that instead of sitting back on the seat and swinging around I slid my leg in and sat down didn't notice till I did it and got excited my Mom said see how far you are getting good for you she noticed. I am trying to just look at the good things and each time you really think about it we are making progress without even thinking about it. Not sure how my surgeon will handle my left leg not sure if I want to but know it will need to be helped somehow. It is the creaky one and it is not feeling very strong now. I am having less troulble with my right leg now. My surgeon will probably want to give it lots mre time and so do I but afraid it might snap . I hope everyone is doing well and that things will only keep getting better for all of us. Have a great week Holly
 
Holly, how are you doing? I am glad you finally got to that 90 degree flex. Sounds like the massage is working for you.
Have a wonderful week, Morgaine
 
Today was really nice. My husband and I decided to miss going to the park and maybe go tomorrow. We went to pick up some things for my Mom and then my husband surprised me with lunch at a place in our city that has been around for longer then I have been they have foot long hotdogs, hamburgers old fashioned service same as it was when my parents were dating. I love going there sat up on the wooden deck and enjoyed the sun. My Mom needed to have the roof on their house done and my brother hired friends of his that do roofing to do her roof. My mom is trying to make them comfortable lots of water cans of pop and homemade lunches treats them like she would hope we would be treated by others I think it makes her feel needed .My mom and I and my family are missing my Dad so much. He did so many things around the house he could do anything and always kept things in great shape. My Mom is really trying and says that glimpses of my brothers and I remind her of my Dad My Dad never stopped putting others first he always wanted to make sure that we were all ok. His and My Moma love for all of us was so apparent. Over the last years he started to buy chocolate bars he couldn't eat them but bought them always caramilk (the big ones) to give to people as his way of showing his appreciation and simply bring a smile to their faces . He gave them to the mailman to the little paper girl that brought his newspaper to the guy that delivered his wood, and even to the nurses during the last months of his life. It was very important to him and just before Christmas we found a store that had them on sale and although he was only to spend another week or so of his life the way we hoped he would always stay he bought what he could find. I drove them for the little trips to the drug store and watched his face light up excited that even though some of the things woodworking, driving were out of reach now he loved people my Mom and his family. He taught me to be myself and be proud I have tried to make the best of the replacement time he was brave and put us first. didn't want to upset anyone and he had lots of reasons to feel at the end he was missing out. I was at my Moms today and my sister in law was sitting on the porch she asked how we were doing and how was my leg talked a while said she and my nieces had been talking remembering how being little they had homemade raggedy anne dolls and knitted sweaters and dresses and how much they loved that I had made them.

How much they had always loved their uncle my husband and all of the kind things he had done with them. MY oldest brother her husband came and asked how I was sat beside me and asked how I was feeling I told them that they didn't expect the bend to be as high but would be just fine he hugged me and said been worried just wanted the best for you you know how I feel you are my sister what would I do if you both were not here. My Dad is still with us in our hearts and laying the blessings on us just like he did giving chocolate bars to cheer up and and make people smile. He was and still is truly wonderful and I amlucky to have the family I have.I am having a good cry here and it is with tears of joy. My Mom has continued to give out his caramilk bars always telling them that they were from my Dad and the chocolate bars have now all been handed out. Love your famillies and treasure the moments with them hoping never to have to say another goodbye Holly
 
Today I finished knitting the sweater that my husband gave me for a coming home gift after my surgery. It is really nice baby pink and will be really warm wanted to have it ready for the cooler weather. Knitted on large needles and bernat chunky wool. It has been really hot here and usually do not knit in the summer that often but finally started it a few weeks ago. Worked quick on the larger needles and really love it. He saw my looking at it in the book that came to our home and must have picked it up when we went the last time to look around. A couple of days before my surgery day he handed it to me and said this is for you and is your coming home surprise. Wanted to start it right away but suppposed to have it for my coming home. kept falling asleep so thought better wait till I was more aware. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom