TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holly, I am glad you feel up to knitting again. I crochet, and have done some since my surgery, but just can't seem to get into it yet. Maybe because it is still too hot here, or because I have too many afghans and given one to everyone I know. Or might be because after everything I do (PT, Dr appts, helping friends, etc) then all I want to do is sit and stare mindlessly at the TV.
 
Hi Morgaine I am happy that my sweater is finished wanted to make it for the late fall as it will be very warm to wear before that. I used to knit a lot made sweaters for my family one year and wonder now how this sweater was made on large needles and with chunky wool so it worked up fast. It has been a long time since I knitted anything bought baby wool last year to get some things started in case I needed a baby gift but that sort of fizzled out. I was relieved when it was finished out of practice and found myself pulling it out a few times but the pattern was not actually that hard just not concentrating. I realized one day sitting watching a movie that knitting was probably why I was feeling so very warm kept turning up the air conditioning but didn't want to wait till later in case something came up and stopped me from having time will not have time as my Mom is having catarac surgery in the fall How have you been doing Morgaine I hope all is going ok for you it sure has been a rollercoaster ride for us. I know what you mean about appointments it just seems that there isn't alot of time to do just what you want even if it is relaxing resting trying to take a breath and get past the discomfort. We have been trying to get to the park early before the sun gets too hot temperatures have been in the 30 celcius range and over and by the afternoon it is too hot to do too much outside. I watched tv during the days of my early surgery time and found that I now after watching a few again I didn't even remember anything about some of them kept falling asleep and trying to get to the bathroom. Wishing you a great week and hope that things start to get am trying to do little things with walking trying to put a bit more weight on my operated leg as my left leg is starting to really creak more is quite sore. I could never have imagined this surgery the way that it actually has been no idea but things compared to the early days have really improved and we have done really well Morgaine coming this far. Hope you have a nice week nice to have received your letter. Holly:kittykiss: :friends:
 
Yesterday I went to my massage. I will now be going every other week and then once a month he says that I have done really well worked hard but the flex will probably not get any higher at around 90 degrees had a lot of damage to my knee before surgery and the place that I am will probably be it. I am still happy with the results and understand why it was so hard in pt to try to push harder as my leg has probably landed where it will stay. I am starting to like my newknee know that it has done along with me the best that it could. The massage has been a very positive thing helped me to come to grips with some of it very nice man who didn't concentrate on the negative didn't make me feel that I was a failure and inspired me to just be content with the way things were be proud of the extra degrees that I attained went fromm 48 degrees with him to jus over 90 I have started to try to climb the stairs with my operated leg leading as my other leg is having a difficult time having taken care of my other leg during the recovery time. Each day I am finding more little changes that I can handle even if it is just feeling little moments of more bend. :spin: Driving has made our world so much nicer we can go to appointments and some relaxing moments without worrying about the cost as much and time together at this point is so very important. I will probably never attain the 100 degree range but will just be happy I can now walk without falling like I did before. Bonesmart has helped me so very much you have all been very kind and your support and friendship during my recovery will never be forgotten. Moments of feeling volnerable and expressing my feelings have always been treated with respect and I thankyou all so very much.Starting to get those old feeling moments of happy thoughts and just going to accept the outcome who know maybe my leg will surprise me. I am stiff but very happy. Survived it when didn't think I could handle anymore now what to do about the left leg needs help but not sure how that stor will end. Thanks so much my friends Holly :tada: :kittykiss:
 
Hi Today we went to the park found our favourite bench by the water. Really nice more then one family of geese and all at different stages of growth but wondered the last few time where the youngest members were. Had fun feeding all of them really enjoy it and the ducks too. Today the geese that were still fuzzy and yellow only so very short a time ago came to see us they are now so much bigger. I enjoyed the feeling when they were small they would rub againt my legs while being fed so soft this makes all of the stress seem to get easier and the calm sound of the waterfalls and the joy of seeing them all growing so nicely is a pleasure very calming . At times there are probably well over 100 of these Canada Geese all hungry and anxious to have their turn. Today lots of seagulls probably about 30 mallard ducks, and maybe about 20 geese. It helps to make the stress of the day and anxiety of what is coming easier to deal with if even for an hour or so. Making the most of the time together and will deal with what ever comes hopefully all will turn out. My husband is seeing a kidney specialist worries about the condition of his kidneys and hoping that things will just slow down. Hope you are well Holly
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
lavender, your post brought back memories of my childhood and my son's childhood when we would go to the City Lake---it was a WPA project during the depression. It was and still is a lovely serene area with a walking track all the way around, a pier out into the lake with a gazebo, a deck like area to fish from, an island in the middle for the ducks to nest on, and a fountain with colored lighting for nighttime. The ducks are so accustomed to people that they come right up to you and are pretty friendly unless they have little ones---then you better be careful. They added swans later and they are some fierce mothers when they have little ones. My son at three got a little too close to some young swans and mama came after him like a house afire---scared him too!

Thanks for sharing your time at the park and helping me remember pleasant times from the past.
 
Hi bottomshollow Thanks for sharing your lovely memories as well. I have always loved this park and very nice memories of times in it. Your park sounds wonderful. Even have swans it seems that some of the fondest memories we have are often the simplest days when just being together and enjoying things around us mean so very much. Wishing you so very many more wonderful days. Holly
 
Hi lavender we have 9 large white geese in our garden at the moment (like the white ones in @bottomshollow's picture). They come from the farm next door but prefer to spend the day in our garden. I was worried at first as we have 4 cats however the cats do not seem so interested and even seem scared when 9 heads pop up in unison - at nightfall they waddle home accross the fields
 
HI puffin love those geese and ducks kids in the park love to run with them and the dogs as well but they are really quick. We also had four cats all are gone now but had lots of fun with them lots of happy memories they were our babies. The ducks in our park are Mallard and Wood ducks males have crest on their wings purlpe. and deep green their heads are dark shiny green almost jewel like. The white ones remind me of the ducks in the Beatrice Potter books beautiful. Hope you are doing great nice to hear from you Holly:kittykiss:
 
You are so right about the white ducks being Jemima Puddleduck lookalikes

Hope that you are still improving
 
Hi This week I have decided that I actually like or maybe even love my new knee. I didn't think I would really feel this way but it is starting to feel like part of me no longer look at my knee as a stranger so many things have improved over the past three months and a feeling of contentment and happiness have returned. I am no longer in any real pain didn't think the day would come when tylenol was less important to me. Still get the little bit of pain in the side of my knee inside and no where like has been all along. Getting a new appreciation for the changes in my life my knee has given me able to get around easier even with a little less bend and enjoying the lovely weather we have been having. Going to see my surgeon tomorrow think he will be pleased I am sometimes just have to be content with the outcome and look forward to the changes that may come. I didn't think the time would come when my leg would stop being the focus of my daily life. I think this knee and me along with my left knee who has done an amazing job of taking care of things and will need replacing soon are starting to help me live almost forgot that the knee is new until I see my scar and then remember. My husband no longer goes shopping for groceries and stuff alone I am now trying to participate even for just a little bit life is great. I will need to be strong and able to go my husband is going to need support for his kidney situation and we will manage it together. Wishing all of you the best hope you are comfortable. Holly
 
Today was a really nice day went to see the surgeon who did my knee replacement and he was pleased said my leg was straight. I asked him if it was possible if the day came that he decided that he would replace my left knee which is also bone on bone that I could skip the pt and go straight to the massage therapy he said they would try to work them together both involved and would make sure that the next time around the treatment was so much less aggressive. He said that the usual result was that pt made the flex improve and massage help to relax the leg but in my case he said that the pt seemed to be more the cause of the swelling. I don't think he is in any hurry and neither am I but said in the distant future will consider it with me. I am now as he said going to just live life and next spring have an apppointment to have another exray . He said he was hoping it would be easier for me and that he was happy to see me managing so well and pleased how I have handled the whole process.I have had lots of support from my husband and lucky I was also reminded that the surgery on a knee replacement is very major and that he is sure that there will still be improvements reminded me that the process can take a year or more he is pleased with the progress nice to hear that my leg is very straight . Had time with my Mom took her for groceries and then out for a hamburger. Trying to and help her to remember all of the wonderful memories and things that we have done together how wonderful the years with my Dad were and how much we have to be thankful for. Holly
 
Too much walking this week and tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks my knee is saying tomorrow will need to take it more easy. Haven't had much pain over the last little while but now remembering what it felt like. Went out with my Mom today and just went to the drug store grocery store and then had our hamburger but no appointments tomorrow so maybe just stay home or small walk in park sit on bench. Not long in either location but really appreciate now how good it felt not hurting. Maybe a nights sleep will help cold weather here. feels so much better in the sun and heat then the cold. Hope it is better tomorrow. Holly
 
Hi Hope all are well Today I found myself doing the stairs going downstairs leading with my left leg made it all the way down slow but no pain and one stair per leg. Each day trying to challenge a little change just even if it is a small improvement. Sleeping through the night only wake up for bathroom breaks. It is beautiful today weather really sunny still a little cooler but supposed to get quite warm think will see my Mom for a minute and then to park and go shopping later for groceries. Just finishing the last stitches of a cross stitch that I have been working on four little girls dancing around a rose tree really enjoyed making it and now to decide what to make next. My cross stitch helps to take my mind off of my leg a bit now need to find a nice place to hang it running out of wall space. Have to start working on spare bedroom. Hope that you are all having a great weekend. Holly:yay:
 
:flwrysmile: It seems quieter here in our city not sure where everybody has gone but the roads are not as crowded less people in line ups not quite as rushed. I guess they will all be back running around next few weeks getting kids ready for school. The retired guys who were in the Navy and love their model ships were in the park today. It is really nice to see them they have radio controlled submarines battleships air craft carriers quite large models authentic and they meet it seems on Sundays in the spring to fall to sail their ships. People stop by them and they have a chance to talk about the different ships they have usually about 8 some over a metre long.There a quite a few nice picnic tables in the park and during the days of get togethers they have disappeared from the waters edge great to see they had moved a lot of them back use them for theire ship displays. I didn't have to rush getting out of our car just calm couldn't believe that someone actually beeped their horn a couple of weeks ago telling me they wanted the next parking space who rushes in a park. Not usually that way very calm lots of dogs going for walks kids running just a really nice place. I take my Dads walker and it helps with maneuvering the tree roots like to cross over the ground not always on the pathways. Hope the days of pain and frustration are coming to a quick end for all of us and that everything for all will turn out really nice. Holly :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Holly
Glad that you are getting out into the park - it must be great to walk on the pathways. I expect i will get busier on the roads when the schools go back. Here in Sweden the schools are going back this week - my younger daughter started today whereas the older one goes back tomorrow
 
Hi puffin The weather here is beautiful hard to believe that the back to school time is almost here for us about 2 more weeks for kids and your kids have already started back how fast this summer seems to have went. Missed the park today had to take my Mom to have her pre-op appointment. This is starting to look like the fall is going to be a busy as the summer and last year. I hope you are having an easier time and that the pain is getting less common. We have appointments all week my husband is going for ultrasound for his kidneys tomorrow eye exams for both of us massage Thursday and Friday blood test. Going to fit the walk in tomorrow, time for my husband and I alone and without stress. Have you had nice weather this summer hope it has been great. Nights are getting cooler and are really comfortable. Hoping the very best for you Holly
 
Hi Just wanted to thank all of the wonderful people that I have written to on this forum your letters have truly made a difference but now I will no longer write as I am going to get on with things and put the experience of this replacement in the past. I have enjoyed being part of this forum but no longer seem to be part of the communication that I was at one time a member of .thanks again and hope everyone is feeling much better Thanks for the experience waving goodbye . Holly
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas
Please drop in and update us once in a while so we don't completely lose track of you. Take care of yourself and that new knee. We care.
 
bottomshollow just to thankyou so much for your wonderful kindness and all of the help and caring letters you have sent me. You and others made so much of a difference for me and I will remember these times of great support forever thanks so much and wishing you all the best and lots of happiness Thanks again Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom